Next Gen "DIAD" will indeed be modified smartphones

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

These things are going to get destroyed.
I may... have a habit of taking my day out on a DIAD from time to time. Know a guy who sent his through a windshield on a particularly bad dispatch day. These phones won’t last and with the constant connection needed for tracking I don’t see the batteries lasting long. I need a new phone or battery replacement after every winter because the cold ruins the battery.

JL 0513

For use with helpers it is fine, been playing with a few days now.
As for use daily it is not close to ready.

It will be interesting to see how much they advance the tech to make them as user friendly as drivers need them to be as DIAD 6. The way UPS supposedly prioritizes efficiency, they know it has to perform better than DIAD 5 before the phone goes prime time.

JL 0513

I may... have a habit of taking my day out on a DIAD from time to time. Know a guy who sent his through a windshield on a particularly bad dispatch day. These phones won’t last and with the constant connection needed for tracking I don’t see the batteries lasting long. I need a new phone or battery replacement after every winter because the cold ruins the battery.

Electric cars are the future!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
RDO does work.
I am curious if that is as intended, or just a holdover from last year that IE forgot to disable in its quest for nationwide forced stupidity.
The optimist in me wants to believe that the availability of RDO on the phones is part of the company’s plan to help us cope with peak season volume.
The realist in me believes that this blessing is only temporary and that, as we speak, some pasty-faced goblin in the basement of IE headquarters is hard at work in front of his computer frantically trying to seal the breach and cut us off from having a backdoor access to a coherent manifest.

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
Do you know for certain that the RDO button actually works? Or is it simply a function left over from last peak that IE has now disabled?
We tested it out yesterday to make sure everyone knew how to use the cellphones and the RDO view still works.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I remember when they forced drivers to use the helper phones/diads for the whole day without showing anyone how it works or how to even log in. I’ve never been so amazed at these idiots. I forgot the pin # when I got back and didn’t know how to punch out. My steward was standing there and I asked him for help. He said he didn’t know either and to just sit it down and leave. Not our fault we weren’t trained.

They made me use one of those a couple weeks back.
So much fun.

Not one single person in my center knew what the pin was. If we hadn't had a manual printout for that thing, I still wouldn't know what it was.