Next Gen "DIAD" will indeed be modified smartphones

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
@DiadDude
I used a helper phone today. I dont have a helper but we are short of DIADS and mine has a bad battery so they gave me a phone to use for backup and I made a decision to give it a try. There were no instructions or anyone who knew how it worked, so I had to figure it out all on my own. I am an iPhone not an Android user, so it took me awhile to get the hang of it.
It worked OK and was an adequate replacement for my DIAD, but scanning packages is significantly slower. On a rural route like mine that is not such a big deal but if I had a lot of pieces at bulk stops it would be a real headache.
Suggestions:
They need to fix the DR menu and give us the ability to type in a “left at” location other than the ones on the list. I leave a lot of packages at gates and could not use the phone for those stops because “gate” was not an option and there was no work-around for that that I could find.
There is also no “signature release” work-around to DR stops that are incorrectly billed or in the system as commercial. Please fix this.
There should be a “driver” mode that makes it function more like a DIAD and that skips the queries about what type of stop it is and that works off of a quick, generic UPSers log-in. I have spotty cell coverage on my route and having to log in to UPSers on it was a nuisance. Ideally there would be a way to make it function “off line” in case there is no cell service.
As far as I could rell, there is no way to transfer EDD in or out of it, or to manually enter stops that are not in your manifest, such as a misload. There needs to be a way to do this, especially during peak season.
The case it is in is functionally useless, requiring both hands to remove. Ideally it would have a spring-loaded “switchblade” type case that can be snapped open with one hand. I wound up keeping the cover off of it and sticking it in my coat pocket, which is just asking to have it get damaged.
The bottom line is, it works better than I thought it would.
You don’t have to scan packages with the phone. You can just select them from the manifest.

BrownGuy

You can, and should get a manifest. Tap Get Activities and scan an undelivered package. You need to be in cell coverage when you do this. You can then deliver in and out of coverage. You can punch in and do this when you are out of coverage, but you just enter all delivery address information in

If you are trying to do this and the phone says you are out of coverage, reboot it.

You should avoid punching in when out of coverage unless there is no other option.

Punch out while in coverage too.

If you scan a misload, it will pull in all delivery info as long as the package shows on someones route, and it will pull it out of their diad.

If you didn't get a reference sheet, ask someone in your center to print one.

@DiadDude
I used a helper phone today. I dont have a helper but we are short of DIADS and mine has a bad battery so they gave me a phone to use for backup and I made a decision to give it a try. There were no instructions or anyone who knew how it worked, so I had to figure it out all on my own. I am an iPhone not an Android user, so it took me awhile to get the hang of it.
It worked OK and was an adequate replacement for my DIAD, but scanning packages is significantly slower. On a rural route like mine that is not such a big deal but if I had a lot of pieces at bulk stops it would be a real headache.
Suggestions:
They need to fix the DR menu and give us the ability to type in a “left at” location other than the ones on the list. I leave a lot of packages at gates and could not use the phone for those stops because “gate” was not an option and there was no work-around for that that I could find.
There is also no “signature release” work-around to DR stops that are incorrectly billed or in the system as commercial. Please fix this.
There should be a “driver” mode that makes it function more like a DIAD and that skips the queries about what type of stop it is and that works off of a quick, generic UPSers log-in. I have spotty cell coverage on my route and having to log in to UPSers on it was a nuisance. Ideally there would be a way to make it function “off line” in case there is no cell service.
As far as I could rell, there is no way to transfer EDD in or out of it, or to manually enter stops that are not in your manifest, such as a misload. There needs to be a way to do this, especially during peak season.
The case it is in is functionally useless, requiring both hands to remove. Ideally it would have a spring-loaded “switchblade” type case that can be snapped open with one hand. I wound up keeping the cover off of it and sticking it in my coat pocket, which is just asking to have it get damaged.

Last edited:

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
@DiadDude is there an actual app that could be downloaded onto a privately owned phone that will let it function asxa helper phone?

Yes the there is.

It is just an Android app, and helpers can use their own phones.

Whether or not UPS wants you to use it on your phone instead of the DIAD, for the time being, is a different story.

I actually have the app, but I don't think UPS would appreciate me making it public to anyone who wants it.

DiadDude

@DiadDude
Suggestions:

@soberups,

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try to answer a couple of your questions as best I can.

1. Slow Scanning. If this is happening to you, I would agree it is a problem. A lot of time was spent this year making the scanning as fast as possible. It has been tested side by side with the DIAD 5 and normally performs better than the DIAD. It's possible you have a bad (or old model) phone, because it should be nearly equal to the D5. If scanning is still difficult, you can click on a package to "confirm" it once you're in the package list screen.

2. DR Locations. The list of DR locations is definitely limited and will be expanded soon to match the options in the DIAD.

3. RelNum? I think you're looking for the RelNum function and I'm not sure it will be coming any time soon. The app does not pay attention to any "Commercial" value from any other system, the only way it determines a stop to be commercial is by asking you the type of stop (Apartment, Warehouse, Church, School, Etc). If you answer one of the residential choices, you should be able to release the package unless it is Sig Required or Risk Level 4.

4. Driver Mode. For security purposes the app is required to have a unique login for every user. Not sure that will ever go away, but the usefulness of the PIN entry is under review. The app can be used without coverage, but will make you login if you are out of coverage for more than 2 hours.

5. EDD. You should get EDD in the morning by choosing "Get Activities" and scanning an undelivered package in your route. If you are a Driver or Helper, the DIAD MUST GET EDD FIRST. If you are a PVD, the app will get EDD just by scanning package on your route.

5a. Misloads. Scanning a misloaded package should retrieve the stop for that package from the other driver's EDD. You should then be able to deliver it as if it was in your EDD the whole time.

Glad you were able to figure it out with no instructions. The app has been designed to make it easier to learn than a DIAD, but if you already know the DIAD, it can make it a little tougher since you kind of have to unlearn some of the things you are already used to.

DiadDude

@DiadDude is there an actual app that could be downloaded onto a privately owned phone that will let it function asxa helper phone?

The app can be put on a personal phone, but only a phone that is registered with UPS. As someone else mentioned, Helpers and PVDs can use their own phone and get paid extra each day for doing so.

Once again the newest DIAD will NOT be made for lefties.

The new hardware is not slanted toward right or left handed use. The application that it will use could be considered to be more right-hand oriented. If you get a chance to try the app let me know if it is an issue. It would be possible to make the app run "left handed" if lefties think it would make a difference.

brostalss

The new hardware is not slanted toward right or left handed use. The application that it will use could be considered to be more right-hand oriented. If you get a chance to try the app let me know if it is an issue. It would be possible to make the app run "left handed" if lefties think it would make a difference.

It's not the software it's the physical device itself. Try signing the current DIAD left handed. Lefties hit the signature button. Nice over sight.

brostalss

Heat will be an issue. The new IVIS for Feeder sitting in the cab of the rig waiting for a load gave me a heat warning a few times.

Of course they mount the mount right in front of one of our A/C vents.

Delivery!!!

You can, and should get a manifest. Tap Get Activities and scan an undelivered package. You need to be in cell coverage when you do this. You can then deliver in and out of coverage. You can punch in and do this when you are out of coverage, but you just enter all delivery address information in

If you are trying to do this and the phone says you are out of coverage, reboot it.

You should avoid punching in when out of coverage unless there is no other option.

Punch out while in coverage too.

If you scan a misload, it will pull in all delivery info as long as the package shows on someones route, and it will pull it out of their diad.

If you didn't get a reference sheet, ask someone in your center to print one.
Or you can ask your helper if they know how to use it and when they inevitably say no, leave it it the cargo area

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
@DiadDude
Is there a way to keep the phone “logged in?”
I kept having to re-enter my ID# and UPSers password over and over, at least 7 times today. My DIAD has a bad battery so I will be using the helper phone as a backup for the rest of peak (I dont have a helper). I am trying to be a good sport about it but it is time consuming and a hassle to keep having to log in multiple times. I need a way to force it to stay on.

DiadDude

@DiadDude
Is there a way to keep the phone “logged in?”
I kept having to re-enter my ID# and UPSers password over and over, at least 7 times today. My DIAD has a bad battery so I will be using the helper phone as a backup for the rest of peak (I dont have a helper). I am trying to be a good sport about it but it is time consuming and a hassle to keep having to log in multiple times. I need a way to force it to stay on.

As long as you are in coverage at least every 2 hours, it should keep your login. Is the app going back to the screen with the pa mage car picture, or just popping up a smaller login screen?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
55973BF5-058F-4641-99CE-EE4FB3AAA759.jpeg
I keep getting this screen, have to log back in to upsers again and punch in, then scan a package to repopulate the manifest. After the 3rd or 4th time it gets old. There needs to be a way to keep it logged in.
As long as you are in coverage at least every 2 hours, it should keep your login. Is the app going back to the screen with the pa mage car picture, or just popping up a smaller login screen?

Marksmith

I used the phone for a few days. To me it feels beta. It can forget stops. We had to go back to some customers. Whenever the phone errors out, it will try to do what ever admin function you told it to do. Like camera, turn off, get WiFi...or whatever. Remember, Android phones were never designed to be dedicated POS devices. Apple devices were.

What is nice is, the camera picks up the barcode faster than a diad. You don't have to aim. In low light, the flash kicks in and the barcode is read. Multiple bar codes are no problem.

The app crashes and when it does, the helpers time is canceled and moved up to when the app restarts. So, if a helper doesn't get it corrected, they will be shorted.

Also, doing Amazon hub deliveries, they were not programmed in. Had to sort of wing it.

Nike

Surprised to see so many positive opinions. I find them to be horrible, constantly logging out, erroring out on scans, and just generally awkward to hold and use, forget about it if you have gloves on.
They need something that works with a grown man's hand for one thing too, anything not designed and purposed with this in mind will fail.

RhinoGTO

I have been using the phone as well. Trying to give it a fair chance. The biggest complaint I have is the scanning. It is not consistent and slower than diad5. I seem to be getting different phones each day. I have only had 1 phone that scanned quickly. Some were so slow I had to give up immediately, there isn't much time to mess around when you have 400 stops.

If I can offer my opinion on the next generation diad. I am concerned about having to rely too much on screen use. I typically use the hard buttons only on the current diad. I like the tactile feel and you can remember the sequence so you don't need to stare at the board and watch it process. Also working in a cold climate and having to wear gloves.

I appreciate you getting feedback from the people that actually use this board and do the work. If only UPS would do this more often for things like Orion or new package cars.

oldngray

nowhere special
I have been using the phone as well. Trying to give it a fair chance. The biggest complaint I have is the scanning. It is not consistent and slower than diad5. I seem to be getting different phones each day. I have only had 1 phone that scanned quickly. Some were so slow I had to give up immediately, there isn't much time to mess around when you have 400 stops.

If I can offer my opinion on the next generation diad. I am concerned about having to rely too much on screen use. I typically use the hard buttons only on the current diad. I like the tactile feel and you can remember the sequence so you don't need to stare at the board and watch it process. Also working in a cold climate and having to wear gloves.

I appreciate you getting feedback from the people that actually use this board and do the work. If only UPS would do this more often for things like Orion or new package cars.

Did UPS pick up a bunch of used phones and repurpose them?

Poop Head

Judge me.
This. New diad absolutely need the hard keys and orange/fuction button