Next Gen "DIAD" will indeed be modified smartphones

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Anyone who has actually used the helper phone for a day or more and has constructive feedback, feel free to PM me.
I have not yet used a helper phone but I would like to suggest a tempered glass screen protector and some sort of a case, like an Otter Box, with a belt clip.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Anyone who has actually used the helper phone for a day or more and has constructive feedback, feel free to PM me.
@DiadDude
I used a helper phone today. I dont have a helper but we are short of DIADS and mine has a bad battery so they gave me a phone to use for backup and I made a decision to give it a try. There were no instructions or anyone who knew how it worked, so I had to figure it out all on my own. I am an iPhone not an Android user, so it took me awhile to get the hang of it.
It worked OK and was an adequate replacement for my DIAD, but scanning packages is significantly slower. On a rural route like mine that is not such a big deal but if I had a lot of pieces at bulk stops it would be a real headache.
Suggestions:
They need to fix the DR menu and give us the ability to type in a “left at” location other than the ones on the list. I leave a lot of packages at gates and could not use the phone for those stops because “gate” was not an option and there was no work-around for that that I could find.
There is also no “signature release” work-around to DR stops that are incorrectly billed or in the system as commercial. Please fix this.
There should be a “driver” mode that makes it function more like a DIAD and that skips the queries about what type of stop it is and that works off of a quick, generic UPSers log-in. I have spotty cell coverage on my route and having to log in to UPSers on it was a nuisance. Ideally there would be a way to make it function “off line” in case there is no cell service.
As far as I could rell, there is no way to transfer EDD in or out of it, or to manually enter stops that are not in your manifest, such as a misload. There needs to be a way to do this, especially during peak season.
The case it is in is functionally useless, requiring both hands to remove. Ideally it would have a spring-loaded “switchblade” type case that can be snapped open with one hand. I wound up keeping the cover off of it and sticking it in my coat pocket, which is just asking to have it get damaged.
The bottom line is, it works better than I thought it would.

Last edited:

JL 0513

Another thing comes to mind. When we're viewing EDD on our walks, it'll appear that we're just screwing around on our personal phones as far as customers/public are concerned. This is something that has the possibility of appearing unprofessional. After a while they'll learn that the phones are our DIAD's I guess.

I know when I see cops on detail and see them with their faces buried in their phones while standing in the middle of the street, it has a bad appearance on the cops' professionalism.

stoliohranj

This info has reached center managers where mine talked about it this morning.

Similar to the helper phones currently in use, after DIAD 5 is phased out, we will be getting these modified phones.

Of course this is for good and bad.

Inputting text will be a pain, especially in the winter when you want to wear gloves.

Compactness is nice in one sense but what will you use to fend off a dog on the attack? The DIAD, even the size or the 5, is a nice tool to put in front of the dogs jaw.

They'll need to be made to work outside of good signal areas. The current helper units have trouble in weak cell areas.
best defense for a dog is NI1

brostalss

No signature button. I suppose the stop complete button could be the enter key. THEY BETTER NOT PUT THOSE ON THE SCREEN

I doubt it will be a cell phone as I've heard it will update your Orion after every stop.

Once again the newest DIAD will NOT be made for lefties.

MC0493

Had a helper phone yesterday, someone told me about rdo and i logged in and got it running and it saved some of my sanity for the day. Just kept the phone in my jacket pocket to view the next stops on my walk back and used my diad for all delivery work. What i was told by an IT guy is this app/program has been in the works for a long time and in order for them to take the RDO option out they'd have to rewrite the app.

Another thing, if you use your diad to transfer edd, then scan a package from the ones you are now planning to deliver, it'll download your new transferred edd and you'll be good to go. I was reluctant to take a phone but after the IT guy gave me some more information, they're actually fairly useful. Just a little slower than an actual diad though.