No announcement about pay actions????

Aquaman

Yes you're correct about them getting a COL boost and their reg raise.

How can they afford it? Easy fedex can afford it as well.

It's not about good management and productivity. It's not because one truck on one street (they happen to cross over as much as we do in my area at least).

They get it because they are union and that's the bottom line.
Yep… this company isn’t honest with hourly employees about profit & revenue. From the top down it’s all spun to sound a certain way. Express knows that dragging this raise announcement out as long as they can, causes employees to brace for bad news. They have the money. They just have complete freedom with what they do with it. UPS does not. No matter what kind of year they have… they agreed to pay those raises during contract negotiations. FedEx top pay is around $10/hr lower than UPS. By the end of this next contract it’ll be approaching $20/hr lower. Eventually UPS will put FedEx’s current model out of business. Not due to taking freight, but by nobody wanting to work there.

fedx

Extra Large Package
Yep… this company isn’t honest with hourly employees about profit & revenue. From the top down it’s all spun to sound a certain way. Express knows that dragging this raise announcement out as long as they can, causes employees to brace for bad news. They have the money. They just have complete freedom with what they do with it. UPS does not. No matter what kind of year they have… they agreed to pay those raises during contract negotiations. FedEx top pay is around $10/hr lower than UPS. By the end of this next contract it’ll be approaching $20/hr lower. Eventually UPS will put FedEx’s current model out of business. Not due to taking freight, but by nobody wanting to work there.

That's what I say too. They're already seriously understaffed everywhere from ramps to stations. You can go on FB and see all these employees talking about how short staffed they currently are. If they don't give a pay step, I see even more and more leaving and not being replaced, because FedEx now has a reputation of not giving raises. It's getting out that it's a dead end job with no raises. You start out "topped out" at $18/hr because you're not going to get any raises beyond that for a good decade. That's why I say if FedEx is still around 5 years from now, I'll be shocked.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
That's what I say too. They're already seriously understaffed everywhere from ramps to stations. You can go on FB and see all these employees talking about how short staffed they currently are. If they don't give a pay step, I see even more and more leaving and not being replaced, because FedEx now has a reputation of not giving raises. It's getting out that it's a dead end job with no raises. You start out "topped out" at $18/hr because you're not going to get any raises beyond that for a good decade. That's why I say if FedEx is still around 5 years from now, I'll be shocked.
Calm down everyone, we have the assurances of @59 Dano that this is all a temporary situation.

They either permanently plan to never give another raise, or eliminate Express for the Ground model, anyway. We must protect mid- and upper-management upwardly mobile income, because THEY'RE the ones who stepped up to the plate and accepted responsibility.

Aquaman

Calm down everyone, we have the assurances of @59 Dano that this is all a temporary situation.

They either permanently plan to never give another raise, or eliminate Express for the Ground model, anyway. We must protect mid- and upper-management upwardly mobile income, because THEY'RE the ones who stepped up to the plate and accepted responsibility.
The problem with the upper branch of Express is they don’t realize EVERYTHING is temporary. Recessions are temporary. A growing healthy economy is temporary. COVID was temporary. Politicians are temporary. Everything always swings back the other direction. What you don’t want to be temporary are your employees. Which is where we are headed.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
The problem with the upper branch of Express is they don’t realize EVERYTHING is temporary. Recessions are temporary. A growing healthy economy is temporary. COVID was temporary. Politicians are temporary. Everything always swings back the other direction. What you don’t want to be temporary are your employees. Which is where we are headed.
FedEx should just eliminate all hourly positions and lease their employees.

Slowturtle

$10 lower “when” you do top out at fedex… however compare the first 4 years .. UPS is now topped out while the fedex newbie after 4 years is around $20 in most areas that’s a $20 difference and as we know you can go years with out a step or raise … express needs a Union.. Organize it get 10 people from each state 20 or 30 with larger states go around start signing everyone up .. leverage

yadig

Yes you're correct about them getting a COL boost and their reg raise.

How can they afford it? Easy fedex can afford it as well.

It's not about good management and productivity. It's not because one truck on one street (they happen to cross over as much as we do in my area at least).

They get it because they are union and that's the bottom line.
I disagree about productivity. If the volume drops at ups they will cut routes for feeder drivers and put them back delivering boxes. Couriers get bumped back to handlers all done by seniority. We don’t do that at FedEx cause we pay such cheap wages and we got ground/express competing with each other. The model must change and it better happen soon!

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Yep… this company isn’t honest with hourly employees about profit & revenue. From the top down it’s all spun to sound a certain way. Express knows that dragging this raise announcement out as long as they can, causes employees to brace for bad news.
"Hey guys, let's drag it out to make 'em brace for bad news!"

Aquaman

"Hey guys, let's drag it out to make 'em brace for bad news!"
Well they have every hourly in the company more & more convinced we’re getting nothing with every day of silence that passes. You’re telling me they’re unaware of that? Softens the blow a bit if the work force already expects nothing.

fatboy33

I’m pretty surprised they haven’t announced anything yet. I think they’re stuck. They don’t know what to do. They don’t want to give us a step raise… but with profits being high and morale being so low, they know what will happen if they don’t. I think they’re weighing the risk. Seeing if they could survive the turnover after a 2%-3% raise. Crunching the numbers. They’ll end up being too uncertain about it and not give us the step. Bad news for top out is I think the company really likes the one time bonus payout for them.
Top pay will receive zero raise, only a bonus the company will write off. For the step folks, they probably won't step up but will more than likely received .25 to .50 cent raise. Remember, ever since the invention of the home computer and online stock trading, Fedx as seemed to given any loose change in the sofa to the stock holders. There's a direct correlation. But again. Nothing would actually be better if it meant not raising health care premiums.

Aquaman

$10 lower “when” you do top out at fedex… however compare the first 4 years .. UPS is now topped out while the fedex newbie after 4 years is around $20 in most areas that’s a $20 difference and as we know you can go years with out a step or raise … express needs a Union.. Organize it get 10 people from each state 20 or 30 with larger states go around start signing everyone up .. leverage
That’s the problem with pay. I’ve been at express for 16 years. And I can go make more at another company starting out. FedEx says they’re competitive with pay. But they’re too dumb to realize everyone else’s starting pay… is competitive with their 20 year pay.

fedx

Extra Large Package
we all know 2-3% is coming which is gobbled up by rising health insurance. you basically make the same every year

The fact that Express doesn't budget for raises in their annual revenue breakdown tells me they have either a bunch of incompetent people running this ship or they just don't care-or both. Wages/raises are just an afterthought. If they have a ton of money leftover, they might give a raise depending on how they feel.