No Call, no show (preload)

takesteady

Uhhh, you need more than a handful of part-timers fighting for higher wages in order for their voice to be heard.

Part-timers have the numbers. If they voted, they could control the entire contract. But, they don't vote or care, with a few exceptions.
Honestly man, this conversation just makes me sad because I don’t think you’re alone in your mentality in blaming PT employees for how things are. Us divided and bickering is exactly what Carol and the company want . It’s a shame that you don’t seem to value our work more than than the teenager flipping your burger. I just hope that your mindset changes before the next contract and that you show up for us just like I’ll be showing up for you and all my other union brothers and sisters for better conditions for us all. Have a nice night.

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.
Honestly man, this conversation just made me sad because I don’t think you’re alone in your mentality in blaming PT employees for how things are. Us divided and bickering is exactly what Carol and the company want . It’s a shame that you don’t seem to value our work more than than the teenager flipping your burger. I just hope that your mindset changes before the next contract and you show up for us just like I’ll be showing up for you and all my other union brothers and sisters for better conditions for us all. All the best.
No solidarity whatsoever

takesteady

Solidarity is each persons responsibility, talking negative about the Union is a serious form of divisiveness.

A Union is a participatory, representative democracy.

There is no solidarity in a complainer.
This is ridiculous. Solidarity is ALL of our responsibility. I don’t personally like a lot of the people I work with, but I’ll still go to bat for them against management.

Last edited:

Integrity

Binge Poster
This is ridiculous. Solidarity is ALL of our responsibility. I don’t personally like a lot of the people I work with, but I’ll still go to bat for them against management.
Ridiculous. I disagree.

Talking about ALL is in my opinion just a way to avoid personal responsibility for your own contribution to this ALL.

If each and every person accepts personal responsibility for their contribution to their membership and their attitude of solidarity to the cause of the representative democracy that the Teamsters represent then you would then and only then have solidarity of the ALL that you speak.

Back From Break
It’s a shame that you don’t seem to value our work more than than the teenager flipping your burger.

OK. You tell me. What do you think a part timer should be paid to load/unload cardboard boxes from a trailer, or to load/unload cardboard boxes into a package car?

I understand it is a physical job. I did it for 3 years. But it requires no education what-so-ever and no special skillset. I agree that you should be paid more because UPS can afford to pay you more, not that the job deserves a higher wage than what Amazon, ABF, FedEx, DHL, USPS, Walmart, etc, pays.

Unions are not what they used to be. Belonging to a Union now does not guarantee that you make an ungodly wage. It's more about working conditions, vacations, and benefits. Look at Amazon in Alabama. The union vote was not necessarily about the pay, it was more about working conditions.

How many part times do you think were around since the last contract?

Case-in-point. Part timers do not stick around very long. The turn-over is high. Why should I fight for someone that quits after 6 months when he won't fight for himself?

I just hope that your mindset changes before the next contract and that you show up for us just like I’ll be showing up for you and all my other union brothers and sisters for better conditions for us all.

What do you want me to do, tell the Teamsters that I am going to strike if they don't pay part timers more? Or because 5% of the part timers make their voices heard and ask the Teamsters to increase their wage? You have the numbers. You can control the entire contract if you just make your voices heard and fight.

If the part timers fought and got a contract turned down, the Teamsters would see your voice and fight for what you wanted and I would walk the picket line right beside you until you got what you wanted. But you want me to walk the picket line without you beside me. You want me to fight for you without you beside me. And I mean you as a whole, not you as one of the small percentage that actually votes.

Welcome to the real world. Not enough of you band together to make a difference. The Teamsters did finally raise the starting rate from $8/hr to $15/hr and got it on par with other companies. They also got you over $10/hr worth of healthcare and a pension on top of that. Nobody ever talks of that. How about that pension and vacations?

So how much do you want? How much should you be paid? Are you willing to put in the time get all your co-workers to band together? Do you go to union meetings to try and get your voice heard? Do you submit contract proposals at contract time?

Or do you just do nothing and expect the Teamsters to negotiate $25/hr for you while you do nothing?

A Union is about solidarity. A Union is about sticking together and fighting as a whole. It's hard to fight as a whole when 60% of the membership won't, or is afraid, or is clueless and won't even step into the octagon.

When I was part time, we stuck together with the full timers and it was one voice. And the full timers stuck with us because we fought right next to them. It's not like that today for part timers, and yes, there is a myriad of reasons why, but the plain truth is that the part timers do not band together like they used to.

quad decade guy

OK. You tell me. What do you think a part timer should be paid to load/unload cardboard boxes from a trailer, or to load/unload cardboard boxes into a package car?

I understand it is a physical job. I did it for 3 years. But it requires no education what-so-ever and no special skillset. I agree that you should be paid more because UPS can afford to pay you more, not that the job deserves a higher wage than what Amazon, ABF, FedEx, DHL, USPS, Walmart, etc, pays.

Unions are not what they used to be. Belonging to a Union now does not guarantee that you make an ungodly wage. It's more about working conditions, vacations, and benefits. Look at Amazon in Alabama. The union vote was not necessarily about the pay, it was more about working conditions.

Case-in-point. Part timers do not stick around very long. The turn-over is high. Why should I fight for someone that quits after 6 months when he won't fight for himself?

What do you want me to do, tell the Teamsters that I am going to strike if they don't pay part timers more? Or because 5% of the part timers make their voices heard and ask the Teamsters to increase their wage? You have the numbers. You can control the entire contract if you just make your voices heard and fight.

If the part timers fought and got a contract turned down, the Teamsters would see your voice and fight for what you wanted and I would walk the picket line right beside you until you got what you wanted. But you want me to walk the picket line without you beside me. You want me to fight for you without you beside me. And I mean you as a whole, not you as one of the small percentage that actually votes.

Welcome to the real world. Not enough of you band together to make a difference. The Teamsters did finally raise the starting rate from $8/hr to $15/hr and got it on par with other companies. They also got you over $10/hr worth of healthcare and a pension on top of that. Nobody ever talks of that. How about that pension and vacations?

So how much do you want? How much should you be paid? Are you willing to put in the time get all your co-workers to band together? Do you go to union meetings to try and get your voice heard? Do you submit contract proposals at contract time?

Or do you just do nothing and expect the Teamsters to negotiate $25/hr for you while you do nothing?

A Union is about solidarity. A Union is about sticking together and fighting as a whole. It's hard to fight as a whole when 60% of the membership won't, or is afraid, or is clueless and won't even step into the octagon.

When I was part time, we stuck together with the full timers and it was one voice. And the full timers stuck with us because we fought right next to them. It's not like that today for part timers, and yes, there is a myriad of reasons why, but the plain truth is that the part timers do not band together like they used to.
No you don't. This is absurd.

takesteady

I understand it is a physical job. I did it for 3 years. But it requires no education what-so-ever and no special skillset. I agree that you should be paid more because UPS can afford to pay you more, not that the job deserves a higher wage than what Amazon, ABF, FedEx, DHL, USPS
The irony here is palpable and your ego is out of control. Thanks for the enlightening convo and the honesty about how you view your union brothers and sisters.

Back From Break
The irony here is palpable and your ego is out of control. Thanks for the enlightening convo and the honesty about how you view your union brothers and sisters.

You talk about union brothers and sisters? Most of the part timers don't even know they're in a union, and don't even care. If they don't care, why should I?

Why should I fight for someone who doesn't give a crap? I stand with the members that stand with each other and fight for what they deserve. That is union solidarity. Those are my brothers and sisters.

Someone who doesn't give a crap about the union or doesn't care about the union is not my brother or sister just because they are a member of said union.

Stand up, become part of the union solidarity and I will stand right beside you. Disrespect the union, belittle the union and blame the union for everything and you are on your own. If that's what UPS wants, so be it. You made your bed, so either lay in it or get up and join us in the fight. Your choice. The door is wide open. Come on in.

PT Car Washer

The company and the Union agree I am to be paid $36.85/hr for an unskilled job or $37.90/hr for a skilled job. The company and the Union agree that a 22.4 delivery driver is only worth $21/hr. Is that because the 22.4 don't stand together and vote? Your arguments are ridiculous.

Integrity

Binge Poster
The company and the Union agree I am to be paid $36.85/hr for an unskilled job or $37.90/hr for a skilled job. The company and the Union agree that a 22.4 delivery driver is only worth $21/hr. Is that because the 22.4 don't stand together and vote? Your arguments are ridiculous.
Good faith collective bargaining requires give and take in negotiations. The membership have spoken in this issue. Time to move on.

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.

Longshoreman make $40 dollars an hour for basic unskilled longshore jobs like taking the cones off a container.I don't think you need a degree to do that.The Teamsters union isn't what it used to be thanks to people like you!!You sound just like the employer in a press release during union negotiations when you talk about the healthcare,and pension.If the part times were treated better and schooled what its about to be a teamster ,I am sure more would stick around and god forbid the union would become stronger and more militant.

PT Car Washer

Good faith collective bargaining requires give and take in negotiations. The membership have spoken in this issue. Time to move on.
Both the company and the Union have taken as much as they can get away with the PT Union members. Looks like the FT delivery drivers are next. The company has shown that they can fill these jobs with $21/hr FT drivers. Why pay more?

nWo

You talk about union brothers and sisters? Most of the part timers don't even know they're in a union, and don't even care. If they don't care, why should I?

Why should I fight for someone who doesn't give a crap? I stand with the members that stand with each other and fight for what they deserve. That is union solidarity. Those are my brothers and sisters.

Someone who doesn't give a crap about the union or doesn't care about the union is not my brother or sister just because they are a member of said union.

Stand up, become part of the union solidarity and I will stand right beside you. Disrespect the union, belittle the union and blame the union for everything and you are on your own. If that's what UPS wants, so be it. You made your bed, so either lay in it or get up and join us in the fight. Your choice. The door is wide open. Come on in.

You realize without the part timers you wouldn't have insurance to zap the hemorrhoids off of your fat ass, right?

nWo

The dude said he thinks he deserves more than minimum wage and you refer to that as an , "ungodly wage."

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Longshoreman make $40 dollars an hour for basic unskilled longshore jobs like taking the cones off a container.I don't think you need a degree to do that.The Teamsters union isn't what it used to be thanks to people like you!!You sound just like the employer in a press release during union negotiations when you talk about the healthcare,and pension.If the part times were treated better and schooled what its about to be a teamster ,I am sure more would stick around and god forbid the union would become stronger and more militant.
BS.

I'm a part timer, and I get to work on my 7th day punch basically every week with just under 5 years of seniority.

There are a LOT of people above me.
If part timers actually cared about the higher rate, they'd volunteer more for double time, and make 30 bucks an hour.

They don't.

You can argue all about "work life balance", and crap like that, but at the end of the day, drivers have traded that away for the higher pay rate.
And most part timers would sooner go home to play video games instead.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
The dude said he thinks he deserves more than minimum wage and you refer to that as an , "ungodly wage."
You "deserve" the wage that someone is willing to pay you.

Consider our insurance, pension, and other benefits. He's making FAR more than minimum wage.

542thruNthru

You "deserve" the wage that someone is willing to pay you.

Consider our insurance, pension, and other benefits. He's making FAR more than minimum wage.
Don't agree with this. Because of this thinking is why we have unions. That's corporate big wig thinking. :)

Ups don't want to pay us the wage we actually make. Negotiations and solidarity got us that wage.