No Call, no show (preload)

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Don't agree with this. Because of this thinking is why we have unions. That's corporate big wig thinking. :)

Ups don't want to pay us the wage we actually make. Negotiations and solidarity got us that wage.
UPS is willing to pay what the union has negotiated for us.

I'm not arguing against collective bargaining, just against entitlement.
Otherwise we end up with a very slippery slope that feel leads to things like President Biden's proposed $15/hr minimum wage.

542thruNthru

UPS is willing to pay what the union has negotiated for us.

I'm not arguing against collective bargaining, just against entitlement.
Otherwise we end up with a very slippery slope that feel leads to things like President Biden's proposed $15/hr minimum wage.
Take your homeschool education back to Indiana!!

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
Exactly my thinking. $40/hr delivery drivers will be a thing of the past. It may take 10 or 15 years, or less.

The top rate will not go down as long as UPS is profitable. However it may not go up like it should either. It might become harder to go from 22.4 to RPCD. The benefits might get watered down. They are smarter than to just slice a $10 pay cut right off the top.

The top rate will not go down as long as UPS is profitable. However it may not go up like it should either. It might become harder to go from 22.4 to RPCD. The benefits might get watered down. They are smarter than to just slice a $10 pay cut right off the top.
UPS and the Union don't have to just cut wages. In 1982 $8/hr for a PT job was decent money. 30 years later it was minimum wage. Allowing 25% of delivery drivers on a 2 tier wage system is just the beginning.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
UPS and the Union don't have to just cut wages. In 1982 $8/hr for a PT job was decent money. 30 years later it was minimum wage. Allowing 25% of delivery drivers on a 2 tier wage system is just the beginning.

That’s exactly what I’m saying. And also it is what has been happening in the economy as a whole. Wages go up slowly or stay the same and cost of living goes up.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Just wait until UPS uses that same logic to continue to lower the driver rate.
I'm a preloader, for the record.

If UPS lowballs the teamsters, and if no one has the courage to stand and fight, and strike if necessary rejecting that offer, then that is the pay rate the drivers deserve.

You're not making minimum wage
In my area starting wage for PT burger flippers is $11/hr. and in no way is it a high cost state. When we were in Branson last month there were signs everywhere hiring at $13/hr. May not be the official Federal minimum wage but it is the real life minimum wage. Next year the Federal Contract minimum wage goes to $15/hr.

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.
You're not making minimum wage
You are right I am making below minimum wage when you factor in union dues.The city of LA has a minimum wage of 15 dollars an hour.I feel we should at least get 2 dollars over minimum wage, that would be fair since I am a dues paying member in the almighty teamsters union!

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
You are right I am making below minimum wage when you factor in union dues.The city of LA has a minimum wage of 15 dollars an hour.I feel we should at least get 2 dollars over minimum wage, that would be fair since I am a dues paying member in the almighty teamsters union!
Your feelings are irrelevant

A

AikenRooster

BS.

I'm a part timer, and I get to work on my 7th day punch basically every week with just under 5 years of seniority.

There are a LOT of people above me.
If part timers actually cared about the higher rate, they'd volunteer more for double time, and make 30 bucks an hour.

They don't.

You can argue all about "work life balance", and crap like that, but at the end of the day, drivers have traded that away for the higher pay rate.
And most part timers would sooner go home to play video games instead.
Agree 100%. Most of the kids I work with will volunteer to go home early, won’t take extra work, and run to punch out, when OT starts after 5 hours.

I’m new, but here’s how I see it here in my part of SC: I don’t know who else is going to hire you straight off the street at $14.50/hr, with no drug test, and let you work 7 hours straight through, and pay OT after 5 hours. Most part time jobs won’t let you get over 30 hours, per week, and they’ll make you take a stupid lunch break.

I think waiting 9 months for insurance is b.s., and not getting paid holidays WITH not having the opportunity to work sucks, but I guess the investment is being a driver one day.

Yes, I could go back to driving trucks, and make a ton of money, but for the kids, it’s a great deal, because they value being able to smoke weed(still illegal in SC).

Yes, I realize that this rate sucks in other parts of the country.

542thruNthru

Agree 100%. Most of the kids I work with will volunteer to go home early, won’t take extra work, and run to punch out, when OT starts after 5 hours.

I’m new, but here’s how I see it here in my part of SC: I don’t know who else is going to hire you straight off the street at $14.50/hr, with no drug test, and let you work 7 hours straight through, and pay OT after 5 hours. Most part time jobs won’t let you get over 30 hours, per week, and they’ll make you take a stupid lunch break.

I think waiting 9 months for insurance is b.s., and not getting paid holidays WITH not having the opportunity to work sucks, but I guess the investment is being a driver one day.

Yes, I could go back to driving trucks, and make a ton of money, but for the kids, it’s a great deal, because they value being able to smoke weed(still illegal in SC).

Yes, I realize that this rate sucks in other parts of the country.

Look buddy... I got stains on my underwear with more seniority than you.