No more manual transmission for driver tests?

ManInBrown

In feeders last year at peak all the off the street casuals got all the brand new tractors everyday. No one could figure out why. Come to find out you can get a Cdl that’s automatic only. No manual transmission CDL.

PeakMode

Arrive Peak Leave
They are putting in turn by turn navigation. The writing is on the wall that Manual transmissions are on the way out. Deskilling the Full Service Provider.

Last edited:

rod

Retired 22 years
Not organized by hourlies.
Who organized yours--management? We did all the organizing at my center. If I remember correct I got a call about 9 pm from our Steward saying we were out on strike. By 10 pm we had a large Army tent set up across the street from UPS and a half dozen cases of beer on ice. By noon the next day we had generators running and a port-a-pot (UPS actually paid for that) and a couple of grills. By the end of the day we had our own little city set up. MANY brain cells were killed over the following 2 and a half weeks.

Who organized yours--management? We did all the organizing at my center. If I remember correct I got a call about 9 pm from our Steward saying we were out on strike. By 10 pm we had a large Army tent set up across the street from UPS and a half dozen cases of beer on ice. By noon the next day we had generators running and a port-a-pot (UPS actually paid for that) and a couple of grills. By the end of the day we had our own little city set up. MANY brain cells were killed over the following 2 and a half weeks.
I do not recall any real organization. Just word of mouth. Some people were called some found out when they came to work. Of course everyone knew we could strike at anytime. We had about 280 drivers in that building at that time. Wasn’t difficult.

JL 0513

They are putting in turn by turn navigation. The writing is on the wall that Manual transmissions are on the way out. Deskilling the Full Service Provider.

All the biggest challenges I and most of us faced when passing our probation to be drivers are gone. You gotta be pretty bad to not make it now with stop by stop navigation, automatics, and all the rest.

Qualifying just 6 years ago, area knowledge was the biggest impediment. That part is now taken care of.
I also was in a 1988 PC with the 4 speed, no power steering, manual keys, and high step. Also still had the DIAD IV to fumble with.

6 years later, everything is vastly easier except for the issues that Orion creates.

rod

Retired 22 years
All the biggest challenges I and most of us faced when passing our probation to be drivers are gone. You gotta be pretty bad to not make it now with stop by stop navigation, automatics, and all the rest.

Qualifying just 6 years ago, area knowledge was the biggest impediment. That part is now taken care of.
I also was in a 1988 PC with the 4 speed, no power steering, manual keys, and high step. Also still had the DIAD IV to fumble with.

6 years later, everything is vastly easier except for the issues that Orion creates.
Just about easy enough for a monkey or a robot to do the job. Now get the bugs worked out of those self driving vehicles and BAM---no more human drivers. Easy peezy. They should become fully automated just about the time they go out of business due to competition.

Cardb0ard.

Beer and more beer
Was driving down the road a few weeks ago, someone was doing a road test. Dude stalled the truck in the middle of the intersection and couldn’t turn the truck back on. And when he did he stalled it again.. smh

PeakMode

Arrive Peak Leave

Biggest issue with ORION is that most PDS either dont care or dont have time to clean their SNAPs and get with loop groups to adjust RDO. You give ORION garage..you will be more garage out.

PeakMode

Arrive Peak Leave
In the near future their will be automatic dispatch and only thing a dispatch may have is clearing SNAPs

Last edited:

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Since modern computers help automatic transmission's get better mpg's, the manual is toast.