No more manual transmission for driver tests?

GameCockFan

In feeders last year at peak all the off the street casuals got all the brand new tractors everyday. No one could figure out why. Come to find out you can get a Cdl that’s automatic only. No manual transmission CDL.
Yep, a sup in Grenc told me when all the manuals age out, all UPS drivers in NC that UPS trains will get this type CDL

specter208

RIP, Manuel. Last one I know of in our center got processed last week.

Maybe some more scrap ones will be imported from CA. Really don't understand the waste of sending those piles all the way here.
Some of those are good trucks still. We had a 2001 air shuttle van with the 7.3 diesel and only about 110k miles and it was euthanized. Trans was getting stuck in gear and I’m not sure if they even diagnosed the actual problem. They just cut it loose.

Grindstone

My route is around 6 or 7 minutes from my center. Couple weeks ago, the warehouse manager of my biggest pu called me and warned that he had 9 skids that day. It was too late to request a bleed so I drove to the building to grab a wally. Actually got excited that our last one was an older manual. Don't think anyone else wanted to take that one out, their loss... I DID have to relearn quickly to palm and not grab the shifter on the gears that made it come into contact with the truck console, though. Lol

Hot Carl

RIP, Manuel. Last one I know of in our center got processed last week.

Maybe some more scrap ones will be imported from CA. Really don't understand the waste of sending those piles all the way here.
Yeah we get hand-me-down trucks in our center too. Seems to be a mixed back whether we get those or brand new ones. We have so many older trucks that are red-tagged right now and new ones that they don't have tags for yet so we're still using moving trucks from time to time. Some of the old trucks we get are abaolute hunks of :censored2:. One of them is an automatic diesel 700 with nearly a half-million miles on it that has every maintenance light on and the DVIR book maxed out with issues. "OK to drive."

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Yeah we get hand-me-down trucks in our center too. Seems to be a mixed back whether we get those or brand new ones. We have so many older trucks that are red-tagged right now and new ones that they don't have tags for yet so we're still using moving trucks from time to time. Some of the old trucks we get are abaolute hunks of *. One of them is an automatic diesel 700 with nearly a half-million miles on it that has every maintenance light on and the DVIR book maxed out with issues. "OK to drive."
Last P12 from CA would not start.(glow plugs, typical CA lack of upkeep) . Had to drag it off the trailer. Submitted for ADA immediately. VT 365 crap

oldupsman

The pussifacation of America continues.
People are going to start thinking you're just a grumpy old guy.

My dad made me learn to drive on a manual, took my driving test on a manual.
None of the other kids did. I asked him why I had to. Looks at me and says,
"Because now in an emergency you can drive anything." Why was he always
smarter than me?

rod

Retired 22 years

smarter than me?
What do you mean "start" thinking? :-)

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
I love getting a manual up to 40mph ( top speed) and then trying to put it into reverse...it’s makes the funniest grinding noise..LOL
🧔✊

rod

Retired 22 years

smarter than me?
My Grandson is supposedly inheriting my son-in-laws almost mint condition 90"s Jeep which is a manual. I wish I could teach him how to drive it like I taught both my kids. My kids learned driving out on a frozen lake with nothing to hit but a few fish houses. After they got used to the clutch I would let them drive all over the lake practicing by themselves. They loved it and I got to fish. My grandson will have nothing but a parking lot to practice in and then deal with big city (Dallas) traffic. I wish him luck.