NO STRIKE in 08

Sammie

We did SO MUCH damage to our customers in the last strike.... Would we dare drive away more business than we already have?

I read comments from you all who are acknowledging the loss of business and how to go about getting it back..

Certainly not by striking!!!

The day before the '97 strike I called all of my 200 whatever customers and assured them that there would be no strike, because we really didn't think there would be. As a result, these companies trusted us and made no other plans.

Customer service provided this bogus info all across the country; a very humiliating experience for both sides, not to mention UPS losing millions a day...

When the strike did occur, our customers everywhere called Fedex and other such competitors, but "the other guys" turned them away for the most part because they couldn't begin to accommodate our 12 million daily packages. But you can bet they've realigned and would be better prepared for the next time...

It would be very hard to regain the public's trust if we ever pulled this again.

Imagine running a company and not getting your goods to your customers for 2 weeks. This brought about untold hardships to these businesses.

But since our stock went public two years after the strike, I would hope this means neither side will wait until the last minute again to resolve issues.

And now you can bet your bippy that Fedex and the Post Office, etc. are out there hot and heavy converting business, especially to the companies who still feel the burn from the last strike. What a great bargaining tool for them to have!!!!

Last edited:

Cole

Everyone who voted for strike authorization voted for it. Me included. It was a bargaining tool,at the time Carey nor anybody else thought it would come to a strike, and UPS didn't take Carey serious until it was too late. Yeah we lost some business, but we also got alot of it back, and I haven't seen a year that UPS profits have dropped.

I am not concerned about a strike because it's not going to happen anyway. Bush would not allow us to strike, and that's the facts Jack. Neither would Hoffa call a strike.

Sammie

Everyone who voted for strike authorization voted for it. Me included. It was a bargaining tool,at the time Carey nor anybody else thought it would come to a strike, and UPS didn't take Carey serious until it was too late. Yeah we lost some business, but we also got alot of it back, and I haven't seen a year that UPS profits have dropped.

I am not concerned about a strike because it's not going to happen anyway. Bush would not allow us to strike, and that's the facts Jack. Neither would Hoffa call a strike.

We also thought that the Pres during the last strike would pull out the Taft-Hartley Act and were amazed that he didn't...

And as for Hoffa, don't trust the guy....

Cole

We also thought that the Pres during the last strike would pull out the Taft-Hartley Act and were amazed that he didn't...

And as for Hoffa, don't trust the guy....

Big difference in Pres. Bush and Clinton, where labor is concerned. I assure you I have 0 trust in Hoffa, and I certainly don't see him calling a strike against UPS for any reason.

DorkHead

This thread started by johnqpublic is right on the money. If a strike is called and we are forced to work by George the maroon, then SLOW down. It worked for our pilots and it will work for us.

I also disagree with ja1768. There ARE good reasons for striking. The bad part is that everyone loses in a strike!!

wildgoose

WILDGOOSE
This thread started by johnqpublic is right on the money. If a strike is called and we are forced to work by George the maroon, then SLOW down. It worked for our pilots and it will work for us.

I also disagree with ja1768. There ARE good reasons for striking. The bad part is that everyone loses in a strike!!
Down south in Florida not to many want the $55 strike fund again:mad: Hoffa`s credibility is lower then a snakes butt ! I would be hard pressed to find many not crossing the line this time around if there was one (strike) that is. I doubt we will ever strike again though. Just my opinion :tongue_sm

Braveheart

Didn`t the government (Clintion) say no more strikes when we were out for two weeks because of the apparent effect on the economy ? Business was way to much effected ! I have a feeling people will more than likely not strike even whatever the union says ? Going on what i hear down here in the south anyway. $55 strike fund :w00t: If that didn`t cure them what is it now ? $56 :confused:1
I think the strike fund is like 200-250 a week now not $55 like in 97. But that is still a 75% pay cut. There has got to be strike deadline or they will shove whatever contract they want down our throats.

Braveheart

I don't know anyone who wanted the strike in 97, the teamsters took it upon themselves to call that one just so they wouldn't loose control of the pension.
I recall UPS saying they could not afford to pay for all our proposals and still stay in business back in 97. They made 1.1 billion the year before the strike and 900 million the year of the strike. The profit went back over 1 billion plus the very next year and up and up and up. UPS made over 4 billion dollars in 2006! I don't think there will be a strike but I have 3 months saved up and ready to go and that does not include 401k.

Braveheart

I think every single employee should save all their sick and personal days next year until August 1 and start at random. Not to mention we let the weeker ones all have the later year vacations since they will not stand tall. We also can sell some of our vacations/option weeks say half as a sign that we are using it as a savings for the possible strike and that we are for real. Everybody saying work slow and still negotaite is not a bad idea. Every driver calls in for help with EVERY OVER 70 TOO! A customer isn't ready, COD delay, Customer not home, NO PROBLEM! And one thing for sure, every single person better stop working off the clock, before work, at lunch , and so forth! We all must file every single time a manager works or a junior employee works out of order! If their is even a single thing wrong with the truck make them fix it before you take it out on the road. Walk, don't run and get signatures too. Do the damn speed limit! No more favors and nobody works through a vacation either!

Last edited:

705red

Browncafe Steward
I recall UPS saying they could not afford to pay for all our proposals and still stay in business back in 97. They made 1.1 billion the year before the strike and 900 million the year of the strike. The profit went back over 1 billion plus the very next year and up and up and up. UPS made over 4 billion dollars in 2006! I don't think there will be a strike but I have 3 months saved up and ready to go and that does not include 401k.
Fyi since the strike of 97 ups has profited over 27 billion dollars!!!!!

Braveheart

I did not have the info to total up but thanks for the info. I do not think we should be asking for $1 and $1.50 raises and so forth if we really want to fix our pension, money will have to moved over there. But I also do not think concessions are in order for a company that made 27 BILLION DOLLARS since 1997. And from what I have read the top officers of UPS are all making millions in stock options, salary, and bonuses. So the day they cut there compensation is the day I will. We do get a 10% discount if we BUY stock. Hell they just get it given to them. Managers also get matching 401k funds while we get ZIP. And they all also have a pension too so don't let them tell you that is why we do not get the matching funds to our 401k. I want better working conditions, less harassment, a better, quicker grievance process, my pension fixed and improved, and more full time jobs that will allow more flex time.

badpas

If thats the case, why are we still paying into it? Why was it not set up by company? There is a prime example of why we pay into something and get next to nothing in return. Or better yet if the strike fund has done so well with only 12$ a month why has the pension fund done so poorly? And its all because of what can come out of our pockets and go towards something, if we are lucky/ not really/ we'll never see that money again. That money should be transferred into the pension fund. I for one would sacrifice part, if not all, of my strike fund benefits to fix a much bigger problem. It would be different if we had a history of going on strike but thats not the case. It seems that everything does better than what really matters and that is one of my biggest gripes with the teamsters.

705red

Browncafe Steward
If thats the case, why are we still paying into it? Why was it not set up by company? There is a prime example of why we pay into something and get next to nothing in return. Or better yet if the strike fund has done so well with only 12$ a month why has the pension fund done so poorly? And its all because of what can come out of our pockets and go towards something, if we are lucky/ not really/ we'll never see that money again. That money should be transferred into the pension fund. I for one would sacrifice part, if not all, of my strike fund benefits to fix a much bigger problem. It would be different if we had a history of going on strike but thats not the case. It seems that everything does better than what really matters and that is one of my biggest gripes with the teamsters.
Pas you lost me. Are you questioning ups's profits since 97?

705red

Browncafe Steward
Sorry Red, I sometimes get ahead of myself. I was talking about the strike fund. I can understand where your coming from after that.
No worries pas, we have a vote this sunday for the strike fund $2 a week for ftimers an $1 a week for ptimers. Anyone out there already paying into a strike fund across the country? I got $55 a week in 97, chump change we need a healthy stash just in case!

R

rls

I think the strike fund is like 200-250 a week now not $55 like in 97. But that is still a 75% pay cut. There has got to be strike deadline or they will shove whatever contract they want down our throats.

You might be right that the fund is to pay 200-250 a week, that is what I thought back in 97 but the money was not there. I am sure the money is in Hoffas pocket or his big airoplane. Some of us in Central states are stilled owed money from the strike fund. You need to check it out first.

badpas

No worries pas, we have a vote this sunday for the strike fund $2 a week for ftimers an $1 a week for ptimers. Anyone out there already paying into a strike fund across the country? I got $55 a week in 97, chump change we need a healthy stash just in case!

Red I understand that but my question is when is it enough. We've been paying into the fund for quite sometime now and if there's that much money in the strike fund why not use some of it towards the pension. I know how important that is for everyone when people go on strike but it seems excessive to have a strike fund to have billions of dollars in it. Unless this single fund is to pay everyone who are teamsters in which case I would disagree with the way it set up. Does everyone in the teamsters pay the same{ I would hope} or again it would seem onesided. Especially for how often we go on strike. The percentages seem alittle out of whack wouldn't you agree. We do pay an awful lot into everything but we get the same as everyone else. This may seem selfish but never the less everyone has earned these monies. We just deserve more than most because we give the most. That is not selfish, that is getting what you've earned already. So instead of making ups deliver how about we ALSO make the teamsters delliver and cs. It much different to put ourselves into a position to give money than to leave ourselves in a posiion to be owed money. I believe that is how alot of people think and the reason for the people who started the apwa. Like it or not change is enevitable and all it would take is alittle cooperation on the side of the teamsters and cs and we would all be happy.

Lizzard Toungue

Red I understand that but my question is when is it enough. We've been paying into the fund for quite sometime now and if there's that much money in the strike fund why not use some of it towards the pension. I know how important that is for everyone when people go on strike but it seems excessive to have a strike fund to have billions of dollars in it. Unless this single fund is to pay everyone who are teamsters in which case I would disagree with the way it set up. Does everyone in the teamsters pay the same{ I would hope} or again it would seem onesided. Especially for how often we go on strike. The percentages seem alittle out of whack wouldn't you agree. We do pay an awful lot into everything but we get the same as everyone else. This may seem selfish but never the less everyone has earned these monies. We just deserve more than most because we give the most. That is not selfish, that is getting what you've earned already. So instead of making ups deliver how about we ALSO make the teamsters delliver and cs. It much different to put ourselves into a position to give money than to leave ourselves in a posiion to be owed money. I believe that is how alot of people think and the reason for the people who started the apwa. Like it or not change is enevitable and all it would take is alittle cooperation on the side of the teamsters and cs and we would all be happy.
The strike fund has about 60 MILLION IN IT NOT BILLIONS. If UPS went out on strike , and we were paid 200 a week, it would last less then 2 weeks.:blushing:

badpas

The strike fund has about 60 MILLION IN IT NOT BILLIONS. If UPS went out on strike , and we were paid 200 a week, it would last less then 2 weeks.:blushing:

This brings me to my question with Red, you say 2$ a week for friend-timers but yet we're being told its 12$ per week. Is this another supplement or local issue because I can see 2$ a week being 60 million but 12$ would be much more. But at the same time even 60 million should last longer than 2 weeks. Please inform.