Nurse receives settlement.....not enough IMHO

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
She wasn't injured and the cops involved were disciplined/terminated. What do you think a fair amount would be?
Much less ... maybe $100K plus attorney fees. And that is too much.

Half a million is WAY too much. Its sickening what a litigious society we live in and the amount(s) of awards being given for relatively minor issues.

I bet if the same thing happened to you, you'd want heads to roll.

In the spirit of promoting a good debate, I have to ask why do you think the nurse should be so highly compensated for what essentially amounts to a detainment and not an unlawful arrest. She was released a short time later at the scene without any charges being filed.

Knowing that Dave's ex was a nurse, I was surprised at his response but agree 100%. The nurse was not injured and Payne was later terminated from two jobs. He was absolutely in the wrong considering the crash victim was not under arrest, Payne did not have a warrant to obtain the blood and he could not obtain consent because the man was unconscious. He was WAY out of line and should absolutely be terminated, and never allowed to be involved in law enforcement, but half a million for a nurse who was at most, ruffed up a little? My mother is a nurse and I was a cop so yeah, I have knowledge first hand of both professions and if some scumbag cop did that to her, I would want heads to roll too but not to the tune of a half a million bucks. That's beyond excessive.

...sometimes you have to get people's attention.

So, to put this craziness into perspective,
  • Families of each of the 26 Sandy Hook students killed in the shooting rampage will receive $281,000.
  • 12 additional families of children who survived the shooting will each get $20,000.
  • 2 teachers who were wounded will receive $150,000 to be split between them.
Nurse in Utah receives $500k. You don't see anything wrong with that?

I'm guessing this type of power-driven, egocentric rage had occurred before...it just wasn't videoed.

You are 100% right. This type of behavior just doesn't manifest itself in one situation. Just like drunk drivers, this was probably just the first time he was caught but thankfully he won't be in that type of position again.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't know what's "about face" about it.
I'm normally very supportive of LEO but this cop, and his ego, were out of control.

EDIT: maybe I have relatives that are nurses and I know what crap they have to deal with.

My ex is an RN and I would have been pissed had she been forced to go through something like this; however, that being said, she would not have been physically harmed and the cops involved were either disciplined and/or terminated so, to me, $500K is a bit much. @Monkey Butt was more in the ballpark with his $100K suggestion.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

And now she has to declare that award as income.
Most of the time, income from lawsuit settlements are non-taxable.

If you receive a settlement for personal physical injuries or physical sickness and did not take an itemized deduction for medical expenses related to the injury or sickness in prior years, the full amount is non-taxable. Do not include the settlement proceeds in your income.

wayfair

swollen member
Who cares?
this guy
What's telling, to me, is that all of a sudden you're upset because it happened to a white lady who was just doing her job.

B please, this crap happens all the time.

Is it your assertion that a white working class lady has more importance than a black man?

Or are you saying that if the cops were interfering with a black man, then he must have been doing something wrong?

vantexan

Did he not give her an order?
Did she not refuse?
Did she not squeal and fight against him detaining her and taking her outside?
He gave her an unlawful order which every citizen has a right to refuse. And where was the fighting? He grabbed her, handcuffed her. She protested, but where was the fighting? And if she had been Black I'd say the same thing. And if cops stop Blacks in a car for no other reason than they are Black that's wrong too.

trickpony1

Utah Nurse Settles After Rough Arrest Caught on Body Cam

Last sentence (paraphrased);
"....she will use part of the money to fund legal help for those trying to get body cam video...".

All you people who thought she was going to lavish in her new, high dollar home, complete with hot tub may be wrong.

It appears she believes other LEO are up to the same tricks.

I have a friend who got stopped. It was obvious the cop was trying to lure the suspect (my friend) out of range of the dash cam. It didn't work. My friend refused to move out of the field of the dash cam. "Whatever you need to do you can do it in front of your dash cam.", said my friend.

The cop let my friend go.