OBrien Sends a Clear Message!

TeltBender

My Tesla was 52999, before 7500 federal rebate and 4000 state rebate. This is the year to buy electric. I’ll be buying 2 more soon.

I GOT ONE MORE

Just my 2 cents here. O'Brien and staff should realize their are two parties. The truth lies somewhere in the middle.

If O'brien wants to punish the company, then all should realize they may be looking for a new job. A strike would decimate UPS, but would not destroy it.
It would take a decade to come back, but without a union to deal with, the company would rebuild easily without $50/hr, pension contributions, insurance premiums, etc......

Their employee overhead would plummet and would be rebuilt without all the headaches and drama every 5 years.
The would become just like any other at-will employer.

Jobs, like the ones UPS has provided for decades, don't grow on trees. Try to find another with such benefits.
I worked there for 30 years, and thankful for the check direct deposited in my account each month.
Most, if not all, active employees don't think about their long distance future.
One day you will, maybe sooner than you think if O'Brien is more than just talk.

And no, pretty sure my pension is safe, to a degree. In order for UPS to breakaway from the union.......there is a law requiring a buyout from an employer with active retirees to maintain some or all of their benefit (pension withdrawal liability), this would be a big number for UPS. But then they would be done with any more contributions and no help for active employees going forward.

Bottomline, I believe both sides should bargain with respect and in good faith.

Thebrownblob

Just my 2 cents here. O'Brien and staff should realize their are two parties. The truth lies somewhere in the middle.

If O'brien wants to punish the company, then all should realize they may be looking for a new job. A strike would decimate UPS, but would not destroy it.
It would take a decade to come back, but without a union to deal with, the company would rebuild easily without $50/hr, pension contributions, insurance premiums, etc......

Their employee overhead would plummet and would be rebuilt without all the headaches and drama every 5 years.
The would become just like any other at-will employer.

Jobs, like the ones UPS has provided for decades, don't grow on trees. Try to find another with such benefits.
I worked there for 30 years, and thankful for the check direct deposited in my account each month.
Most, if not all, active employees don't think about their long distance future.
One day you will, maybe sooner than you think if O'Brien is more than just talk.

And no, pretty sure my pension is safe, to a degree. In order for UPS to breakaway from the union.......there is a law requiring a buyout from an employer with active retirees to maintain some or all of their benefit (pension withdrawal liability), this would be a big number for UPS. But then they would be done with any more contributions and no help for active employees going forward.

Bottomline, I believe both sides should bargain with respect and in good faith.
I don’t think he’s looking to punish I think he’s looking to get the best deal possible the idea that UPS would ever pay $50 an hour without being forced is really not reality.

I agree with you these jobs don’t grow on trees. This company would never have these jobs if it were not for the union so these jobs would not be a possibility without the union and members pushing for better contracts.

The articles you read that are meant for the consumption of the members are probably not exactly the way they approach negotiations when it’s time to sit across the table from the company.