Officer Kim Potter Charged With Second Degree Manslaughter In The Wright Shooting

Box Ox

At Least 15 Officers Mistook Guns for Tasers. Three Were Convicted.

"While it is rare for the police to mistake their sidearms for their stun guns, it is even rarer for charges to be brought against them in such cases. A New York Times review of 15 other cases of so-called weapon confusion over the past 20 years showed that only five of the officers were indicted. Only three, including the only two cases in which people were killed, were eventually found guilty.

“When you’re talking about cases where the excuse is it’s an accident, they’re just not easy to prove,” said Geoffrey P. Alpert, a criminologist at the University of South Carolina who studies the use of force.

"In the 15 cases reviewed by The Times, two in which people were killed resulted in manslaughter convictions by juries; a third officer pleaded guilty to a lesser charge in a case in which someone was injured. Two other cases are pending."

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
You can make that argument. Could also say it's criminally negligent.
I mean sure, you could argue anything.

But they charged her with second degree manslaughter, which would mean she "consciously" acted recklessly.

Not sure that's the right charge to go with.
We'll see what charge sticks after it all shakes out, who knows.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Whatcha think, @scooby0048 ?
That is literally one of the first things you are taught. It warns the subject you are about to deploy it to possibly gain compliance, it alerts others to get their hands off the subject to avoid being struck by a dart possibly being shocked, and so that others don't all tase the subject at the same time.

vantexan

you didnt answer the point . your evading the reality of police having to make those decisions and some tolerance having to be granted to mistakes made in high stress situations.
Police are held to a higher standard. Lives are at stake. Sure cops are given leeway. But if there's no standard to be held accountable to she wouldn't have been arrested and charged. Like I said before the suspect put her in that situation with his actions so doubtful she'll get more than a slap on the wrist. Almost all of these situations where someone gets killed involves refusal to comply with lawful orders that escalates to deadly force. But in this case it shouldn't have happened.

Box Ox

That is literally one of the first things you are taught. It warns the subject you are about to deploy it to possibly gain compliance, it alerts others to get their hands off the subject to avoid being struck by a dart possibly being shocked, and so that others don't all tase the subject at the same time.
Hadn't previously thought about the fact that it also prevents "contagious gunfire" as mentioned by the instructor at about 15 seconds into the video @newfie included in post #118. Keeps other officers from pulling/firing their guns.

Box Ox

Check out this YouTube channel to see all the white people who are also getting shot by the police. They're not shown or talked about on CNN or MSNBC because they're not ripe for narrative-based cherry picking.

https://www.youtube.com/c/PoliceActivity/videos

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Hadn't previously thought about the fact that it also prevents "contagious gunfire" as mentioned by the instructor at about 15 seconds into the video @newfie included in post #118. Keeps other officers from pulling/firing their guns.
I was having a brain fart, couldn't think of the technical term we used thats why I said so other don't tase subject at the same time. I was thinking sympathetic response but that didn't sound right to me.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right

El Correcto

god is dead
Having a taser positioned so you don't mistakenly draw your gun should be police work 101. And he wasn't armed.
He was armed with a vehicle. If the Muslims have taught us anything it’s that pissed off people behind the wheel of a vehicle can kill people.

She might of accidentally shot him, but officers have purposely shot people in similar circumstances and walked. This lady should retire for her mistake, get the pension she has earned for her 26 years of service to her community and seek some therapy if she has guilt about this high profile killing.

El Correcto

god is dead
Throwing this woman behind bars wouldn’t be justice. What she accidentally did was dispense justice. The guy was out there robbing women and ended up getting shot by a woman cop who served for 26 years.

If the jew god is up there watching, I give him big props on this. That’s some funny :censored2:.

Tom MacDonald

Max E. Pads
So why aren’t white people outraged about excessive force being used? You act like black people should be ok with it.
Idk how about people dont speak for their color and speak only for the man/woman that their mother gave birth to

Excessive force isnt a race thing. It's an all of us thing that we could put an end to if we stopped picking :censored2:ing teams