OMS Reduction

lou

Has anyone heard about reducing the number of OMS's ? I don't mean layoff's just reducing by not replacing people.

30andout

I just figured out last week what a OMS was. I was told after 34 years at UPS that someone hired to work in the office off the street was my supervisor. Ya right like they know everything.:confused:1

lou

I am trying to get promoted so I can get my degree. They rehired an employee after I put in my letter. I have over fifteen years of service. Now I here that they are not hiring any more OMS's. I guess this is what the excuse is this week.

oko

I thought they arent hiring any full time OMS'S. When a full time OMS leaves, they are replaced by part time OMS.

rngri4

lou said:
I am trying to get promoted so I can get my degree. They rehired an employee after I put in my letter. I have over fifteen years of service. Now I here that they are not hiring any more OMS's. I guess this is what the excuse is this week.

When it comes to management, it doesn't go by seniority. They hire by the computerized test scores, and who they feel "will fit the position best." They will not be reducing OMS's anytime soon, the COF will rely on each OMS PT and FT, reporting accidents and doing a driver sups job basically, just in the office, so the sup's can spend most of their time on the rode. That is scary, just looking at some of the OMS's in our center, they don't have a frigging clue, but they do know everything....just ask.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I got to stick up for most of my OMS they do great for their limited knowledge of on road activity. It just leaves them to blame for all the mistakes left by the supervisors. They wont let them go, no scapegoat then.

tieguy

Banned
30andout said:
I just figured out last week what a OMS was. I was told after 34 years at UPS that someone hired to work in the office off the street was my supervisor. Ya right like they know everything.:confused:1

they're doing a job like anyone else. try to be nice and help them out where you can.

oko

Thats the problem, sometimes they are the scapegoats for drivers and sups. They are pratically doing the job without training. And then they are trained with a three hour slide show. The people who should be training them are too busy to guide them.

rngri4

oko said:
Thats the problem, sometimes they are the scapegoats for drivers and sups. They are pratically doing the job without training. And then they are trained with a three hour slide show. The people who should be training them are too busy to guide them.

Actually they have a massive 40 hour training process that they go through now when they are hired. It encompasses all of their jobs and what they will face. All OMS's regardless of new or not go through one 20 hour and one 40 hour training period for their jobs. It is a lot more than a slide show, and does include tests each day, which they have to pass, not the usual UPS answers enclosed tests. Each center in our district is up to speed on the training, I can't speak for others though, but it is coming. The problem though is OMS's who have rested comfortably in their jobs, and have for the past 10-20 years, and are resistant to change, and doing things the right way, therein lies the problem. The OMS's have one of the most important jobs now in a center, and make or break your day, even more than a driver sup.