On Topic: UPS attempting to terminate newer driver after filing grievances

Dr.Brownz

Several weeks ago I had a really light day and was done with all of my deliveries and the bulk of my pickups by 1415. Took my lunch from 1415-1500 and then sent an ODS saying that I was done and that I could help if needed. Never heard a word from them. Sat at home until 1630, finished up my pickups, punched out at 1800. No one ever said a word.

The key was sending the ODS. Had I chosen not to do that and they noticed my 1.5 hours of inactivity I would have most likely been terminated.

Pretty funny how you ignored everyone who said the law is on our side when it comes to bathroom breaks and instead jumped to this.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No you hold it in. That is not good for your health

Actually I don't. At the risk of passing along too much information, I take a leak before I leave the building, another one when I deliver to the medical office building around lunch time and yet another one when I make the pickup at the Nissan dealership around 3 pm.

Dr.Brownz

Actually I don't. At the risk of passing along too much information, I take a leak before I leave the building, another one when I deliver to the medical office building around lunch time and yet another one when I make the pickup at the Nissan dealership around 3 pm.

I'll pass that info along so they can fire you for stealing time. Clearly you are delaying the time before you leave. You could have pee'd before start time. TIME STEALER!!! Just think how that is hurting your center manager's numbers!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'll pass that info along so they can fire you for stealing time. Clearly you are delaying the time before you leave. You could have pee'd before start time. TIME STEALER!!! Just think how that is hurting your center manager's numbers!

"Before I leave the building" implies that it was before start time.

35years

Gravy route
"Before I leave the building" implies that it was before start time.
Yes because we all know you collect supplies, set up your truck, bring packages to the clerks, do address corrections and go pee before you punch in. :villagewrong:

There is no need to "plan your restroom breaks". This is settled law. The OP was wrong to extend his breaks. But other than that you immediately go to the rest room when ever you need to. Your own personal self-imposed rules are BS.

Last edited:

BROWNCAT

28 years and I have never crapped or :censored2: in a bottle.

Side of the road? Well.....
That was me till one day last summer a horrible diarrea kicked in far from bathrooms... Two driver release bags, garbage can, problem solved... One of the reasons I never say never anymore ...

Dr.Brownz

OP could have planned on just pooping, then decided :censored2: it I'm eating now too. OP will be back to work eventually, this is just posturing by a d*head sup.

Last edited by a moderator:

35years

Gravy route
How far was your last stop from Taco Bell? Unless you were right next door when you went on break they could technically get you for the time driving from your last delivery to the restaurant as well as the time used in the restroom.
Wrong. Federal courts have ruled that the company will supply transportation to the nearest rest room and you do not have to wait to be near one. The DOT has ruled that whenever your wheels are moving you are to be clocked in.

35years

Gravy route
The miles to and from Taco Bell (off trace) are not counted in break time if he was going there to use the bathroom, and it is the closest public bathroom. (go to the bathroom first). If he breaks trace and drives 5 miles to Taco Bell to use the rest room but then stays to eat, the clock starts clicking for break when he shuts off the vehicle to when he starts up again. If he does not stay after using the restroom it is paid for time (compensated).

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There has never been an official policy in my center as to how far off route we are allowed to drive to either find a restroom or place to eat but the consensus on this forum appears to be 1 mile or less.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
In today's Orion push with mileage, any move off trace will be scrutinized that adds miles.
But you can choose which bathroom or where you want to eat within reason, UPS can't say nothing about it.
That's one of the reasons why it takes more than just having a license to be a driver.
You have to use common sense to pick your battles and know when to push the envelope.