Only 5% of next car purchasers expect to buy all electric cars-Road and Track.

newolddude

Nor do I, but is it affordable?
Nissan Leafs, Chevy Bolts plus the Hyundais and Kias are all in the $30's
For it's intended use, the Pinto was not a bad vehicle.

Like many vehicles of the era, they were ruined by wonky, problematic emissions equipment.

The little 4-bangers were made in Germany. They are very good engines. The carbs were also terrible. Remove the emissions equipment replace and tune the carb with anything that will bolt on.

Sometime in '84, I helped my neighbor cram a 289 4v into a Pinto. He was far more knowledgeable than I was. I mostly held things, and handed him tools and beer. He had to fabricate engine perches. I also remember having to remove the engine-driven fan, and cramming in an electric one.

Upon completion, it was a giggle inducing eye opening ride!
Some nut jobs in high school crammed a 350 Cleveland in to a Pinto by removing the firewall.

Yes, giggle inducing is an apt term.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
1655848435229.png

Non liberal

Why? Lack of range, time to recharge and cost. All of those problems have been all along. With no real solutions in sight.
Including burning coal to charge it. And the thousands of lbs of dirt needing to be excavated to get the precious metals for one suitcase sized battery. At a thousand gallons of diesel fuel an hour for the machine that does the digging….lol.

Thebrownblob

They all suck too, many recalls, the bolts were burning houses down because of batteries.
I rarely have had A car payment in my life. Generally pay cash. Most people don’t have $30,000 so they’re making payments. Anything more than a 36 month loan is foolish in my opinion and that’s over $1000 a month. But to each their own.

Mutineer

Indeed. It seems no thought is given as to how much pollution is created just to produce a new vehicle! Regardless of it's method of power.

One of my often used vehicles is over 50 years old. Although it is mechanically excellent, It is ugly and NOT used for pleasure or fun.

I think if the pollution that my old truck produces was to be measured and compared to the pollution required to build a new truck to adequately replace it, I'd be declared a steward of the environment and hippie of the year!

newolddude

So basically we’ve raised a bunch of people who have absolutely no idea how to be frugal and live within their means?
Maybe. It’s also boomers buying big trucks that will never haul anything in the bed or families buying big SUVs for the two times a year they need to carry more than 5 people.

It blows my mind when I see Chrysler/Ram/Jeep advertising 84 month financing on a vehicle that will fall to pieces before then.

Indeed. It seems no thought is given as to how much pollution is created just to produce a new vehicle! Regardless of it's method of power.

One of my often used vehicles is over 50 years old. Although it is mechanically excellent, It is ugly and NOT used for pleasure or fun.

I think if the pollution that my old truck produces was to be measured and compared to the pollution required to build a new truck to adequately replace it, I'd be declared a steward of the environment and hippie of the year!
See what these hippie Democrats don't understand is

There's close to 300 million vehicles on the road right now and Tesla produced less than 200,000 cars last year.
At that rate how long would it take to replace all the gasoline powered automobiles and replace them with electric?