Operation Margins

• Thread starter thisjobaintforeverybody
  • Start date

Which issue would increase our operation margins the most?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UnconTROLLed

perfection
There is no way we make money on 148 lb packages. Many of those show up damaged and the ones that do not, damaged so many others on the way, there is no way they pay their way.
Not to mention the 15-20 minutes "milk money" spent in PSC reconstructing and re-taping any one of the dozens that are busted open every day.

oldngray

nowhere special
Start the preload earlier. When they are late and rushed, all things go downhill.
Its better to have a big mess when the drivers start and end up paying them more OT than have the part time preloaders who are making far less potentially sit around for 10 or 15 minutes.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Its better to have a big mess when the drivers start and end up paying them more OT than have the part time preloaders who are making far less potentially sit around for 10 or 15 minutes.
Unless you work the preload, it's difficult to understand why starting the preload earlier does not make sense. 95% of the time, our preloaders are ahead of the work by 7-8 am. If the work is still in the trailers in the yard and air cans, it does no good having preloaders with empty cages carousels and belts walk around with no work.

By 8am, the final ground loads and air is processed and pumped out as frantically as possible, and the cages/belts fill back up and, the preloaders stack out. Starting earlier has no impact , since they'd be at the same point in the race.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I spend time searching for stops loaded on the wrong shelf, or I have to go back. When you are overloaded and rushed, things happen.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Would this include the people(s) that took months to figure out they weren't getting any mail because someone turned in a "change of address" to the USPS?

See the "Headlines" forum for related article.

No bob no mail again to day

Go on back to your angry birds

Dr.Brownz

Spend a few hundred bucks per route properly implementing new technology instead of wasting thousands down the road by leaving the failures in place.

They forced us on EDD/Orion a few years ago and every route has been made harder by completely scrambling the order and shelf placement. Makes sense to load the 100 piece bulk that used to be the first stop of the day in the middle of the truck instead of the back door, after all you can just loop back their right?

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby
I don't like any of the four options. Damages will happen no matter what. Misloads will happen no matter how many things you throw at the preloaders to help them not get them. Human error will cause it regardless. Someone won't scan a package, someone will place a heavier box on top of a lighter box - it'll always happen.

Better dispatch and more trucks on the road will help things. Every 4 hours is an 8 hour shift (or around that) of another driver. You have guys working 12 hours a day who run EAMs then run a route. Why not have someone who runs air work the 2 hours extra each driver is working to run EAMs every day? That person could work 4-5 hours a day, 2/2.5 hours inside, the rest running EAMs. Daily operations at my center are beyond stupid in so many cases. There are people going out with 12 hour dispatches, some loops with multiple drivers running that long. This could easily be prevented by adding another driver in the mix to help out. Whatever though, I'm not running the shots. I'll continue being a grunt and keep my mouth shut.
Or Calling the Shots