ORION 1.1 - New upgrade

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
My 20 yr career has been full of PCM's centered around UPS's high level of efficiency compared to the rest of the business world. I've always been told that our 97% and higher efficiency level was what set us apart from not only our competitors but everyone else for that matter. Now we have both center managers and in road Supes saying "as long as we reach 85%". Well folks that's what you can describe as mediocrity now is the new benchmark for success.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
My 20 yr career has been full of PCM's centered around UPS's high level of efficiency compared to the rest of the business world. I've always been told that our 97% and higher efficiency level was what set us apart from not only our competitors but everyone else for that matter. Now we have both center managers and in road Supes saying "as long as we reach 85%". Well folks that's what you can describe as mediocrity now is the new benchmark for success.
I don't turn on orion.

It sucks.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
What's going to happen someday when your DIAD/ORION/the whole freaking PAS/EDD system goes down and you actually have to figure out how to run your route?

On paper.
Lol, very few of us remember how to use the area number map in the office.

Overpaid Union Thug

ORION will be a bust no matter how many upgrades it gets. Real world conditions will make sure of that. I am not looking forward to the day when there is no more RDO because the trucks are loaded based on ORION solutions. At least now I am able to work from RDO. Stops just come off smoother/faster that way. ORION just makes me stay in the back of the truck and dig more.

bham brown

No, you're over simplifying it. The key is that the P/U's are listed after each planned delivery stop. The problem a lot of drivers were having is that they were making unplanned breaks which made Orion make no sense to them and inflating miles. This takes the guess work out of it.

That's all great and wonderful that the pickups are now in there. But can you keep up the pace Orion wants you to have in order to be where it wAnts you to be before breaking off?? I can't. I'm behind after the first stop. Adding the pickups is just a way to try and push you to meet their idiotic numbers.

Holydriver

My center got the update a couple of weeks ago. ODO now lines up P/U's on the EDD screen in the order to be completed mixed in with delivery stops. I used to see this once in a while on EDD views where a P/U would be on the delivery list but now all P/U's are on the list so that you now know when the P/U breaks are supposed to occur without having to guess or figure out what Orion's plan was.

This was one of the biggest holes in ORION as drivers couldn't see what the intended plan was for breaking off for P/U's. This is particularly helpful if you have a route with like 15+ p/u's and ORION weaves in delivery stops along the P/U path.

This won't make drivers love Orion but it will make them hate it a little less. Have you guys gotten it yet?
nah, they still tell us to keep the +- 15 minute compliance window. naturally, the orion trace doent fall within the window

Rack em

Made the Podium
nah, they still tell us to keep the +- 15 minute compliance window. naturally, the orion trace doent fall within the window
So do they want us to follow orion, or stay within compliance? Either way we are set up to not work as directed. ITS A TRAP!

oldngray

nowhere special
They want us to do both.

UPS believes that drivers can make 2+2=5.
2and2.jpg

S

selfcancelsignal

I believe pick up compliance is now + or - 30 minutes on O Ryan. Doesn't matter, I pick mine up in the same order I always have at their usual times. I am one of probably few that likes seeing & using the pickups from the EDD list instead of the old scheduled list.

Beezer

Been getting messages in the diad for the past 2 days that we all have to meet "90% compliance on ORION, and don't disregard this message". Lol, sure let me follow ORION and search for packages in a bricked truck, meet scheduled pickups at nonsensical times, and deliver packages to business at around 7-8pm at night. Sounds like a good system. Turn that :censored2: off everyday.

Overpaid Union Thug

Been getting messages in the diad for the past 2 days that we all have to meet "90% compliance on ORION, and don't disregard this message". Lol, sure let me follow ORION and search for packages in a bricked truck, meet scheduled pickups at nonsensical times, and deliver packages to business at around 7-8pm at night. Sounds like a good system. Turn that :censored2: off everyday.
We have never gotten that message. I think maybe because they know that it would be an epic disaster.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Thankfully our bosses aren't that clueless.

FilingBluesFL

Seems like on a few routes they may be changing things around in the load order of the truck to make Orion compliance "easier."

So that resulted in a bank being moved from the 1,000 shelf to the 5,200 shelf, stop number 91 that day.

So when I pulled up at 5:35pm, I sent in a text message that I had 3 missed packages, and made sure to ask why a business that closes at 4pm is on the 5,000 shelf and stop 91 in the board...

Oddly enough I never received an answer...

moldsporh

Who cares about beating miles....it's so freaking comical.

Thesee package cars get what....8 to 10 mpg....give or take. I hear....." You were 10 miles over plan"

So freaking what....I saved you an hour!!

Simple math idiots....

Gas is what.... $1.80 per gal?...ok, let's say 2 bucks for sake of argument. How much do we make per hour of overtime.....cuz are we really getting back in 8 hrs for the most part??

Let's average some rookie wages and say $40 per hour of OT...now this is a low estimate I understand.

That's 20 gallons of fuel, good for maybe what....150 miles at least???

So you're complaining to me that I was 10 miles over and I saved you about an hour of pay.but were comparing about $1.75 to $2.15 worth of fuel to make that 10 mile trip?? Time to make that 10 mile journey is a non-issue, if it is at resi speed that's 20 min.

If I was 30 miles over plan, sure, come and ask me, but when I hear about 4, 5, 10 miles over....this is completely a non-issue.

So take 100 drivers at 10 miles over, that's 1000 miles....but that's also possibly 1000 hours at 40 to 50 bucks an hour.....see what I mean?

This company spends more money trying to save money.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Who cares about beating miles....it's so freaking comical.

Thesee package cars get what....8 to 10 mpg....give or take. I hear....." You were 10 miles over plan"

So freaking what....I saved you an hour!!

Simple math idiots....

Gas is what.... $1.80 per gal?...ok, let's say 2 bucks for sake of argument. How much do we make per hour of overtime.....cuz are we really getting back in 8 hrs for the most part??

Let's average some rookie wages and say $40 per hour of OT...now this is a low estimate I understand.

That's 20 gallons of fuel, good for maybe what....150 miles at least???

So you're complaining to me that I was 10 miles over and I saved you about an hour of pay.but were comparing about $1.75 to $2.15 worth of fuel to make that 10 mile trip?? Time to make that 10 mile journey is a non-issue, if it is at resi speed that's 20 min.

If I was 30 miles over plan, sure, come and ask me, but when I hear about 4, 5, 10 miles over....this is completely a non-issue.

So take 100 drivers at 10 miles over, that's 1000 miles....but that's also possibly 1000 hours at 40 to 50 bucks an hour.....see what I mean?

This company spends more money trying to save money.

It is not about the math. It is not about the money.

It is about a number on a piece of paper. They don't care how much it costs them, as long as they meet that number.

The numbers are miles and trace percentage. They have to meet these two numbers to prove that ORION works.....at any cost.

They spent over $1B on ORION to save miles. But the money they are saving on miles is outwayed twofold by the extra OT.

Buy hey, look at that number on a piece of paper. We met our ORION metric. So we must be doing good.

That would be a good observation, if ORION worked.

The true test of ORION will be in 2018. Contract time.

UPS will tell the Teamsters that they have ORION and any monkey can now deliver a route, so here is our offer on the contract. Take it or leave it.

A billion dollars may seem like money well spent to get the contract that they want.

Holydriver

Seems like on a few routes they may be changing things around in the load order of the truck to make Orion compliance "easier."
I don't know if this is even possible. I think Orion ODO changes constantly before it finally decided which route it likes best. You may notice in the morning when you look at computer with your ODO then download edd that they change from time to time.