ORION 1.1 - New upgrade

Holydriver

It is not about the math. It is not about the money.

It is about a number on a piece of paper. They don't care how much it costs them, as long as they meet that number.

The numbers are miles and trace percentage. They have to meet these two numbers to prove that ORION works.....at any cost.

They spent over $1B on ORION to save miles. But the money they are saving on miles is outwayed twofold by the extra OT.

Buy hey, look at that number on a piece of paper. We met our ORION metric. So we must be doing good.

That would be a good observation, if ORION worked.

The true test of ORION will be in 2018. Contract time.

UPS will tell the Teamsters that they have ORION and any monkey can now deliver a route, so here is our offer on the contract. Take it or leave it.

A billion dollars may seem like money well spent to get the contract that they want.
Orion is about saving miles. But, it's about saving miles with more stops. For instance, it's about adding 15 more stops to each route and still come close to the normal amount of miles that route would have normally ran. It's probably designed mostly for the country routes

porkwagon

With this new upgrade, along with the "keystroke upgrade," I pretty much stopped looking at the DIAD all together for the most part. I'm back to lining up a dozen stops or so and running them off the way I was trained in 1988. Getting it done scratch and within a few miles of the plan.

Overpaid Union Thug

With this new upgrade, along with the "keystroke upgrade," I pretty much stopped looking at the DIAD all together for the most part. I'm back to lining up a dozen stops or so and running them off the way I was trained in 1988. Getting it done scratch and within a few miles of the plan.
I have done this too but only on the rare occasion when our PAS/EDD system goes down during a storm during preload. My bid route usually consists of splits from the B and C cars of two different loops. My initial commercial stops lead right into some resis. After that the splits from the opposite ends of those loops starts. My next stop in EDD will be miles away and require that I drive right through the end of my route.

If my load is good (usually not) I will work my way to that next stop by delivering everything on the right until I get there then continue on trace from there. But typically my load sucks (even though it's essentially a rural/semi rural route after commercial stops) so I will just drive right through it all and start where EDD says.

ORION was supposed to make it easier to run routes like mine. LOL! Nope! I can count on one hand view many times it was a sensible solution. And that just goes out the window with a crappy load because I'm not digging through that truck all day when I can just pick my next stops out of a selection area that's right behind the bulkhead door.

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
Been getting messages in the diad for the past 2 days that we all have to meet "90% compliance on ORION, and don't disregard this message". Lol, sure let me follow ORION and search for packages in a bricked truck, meet scheduled pickups at nonsensical times, and deliver packages to business at around 7-8pm at night. Sounds like a good system. Turn that :censored2: off everyday.

Yea I am about 70 % Orion compliant and 10 miles over but finish -20 to - 50 clicks. management is like can you try and get to 80 % and I laugh, nope

Ms.PacMan

Can someone explain this - if I'm Orion compliant and finish at the exact time Orion says I'll be done - why am I still over-allowed?

I don't care but I don't understand this. If my Orion times are perfect why isn't this scratch?

Cementups

Box Monkey
Do+not+question+authority+they+don't+know+either.jpg

LOL. We occasionally get an ODS message telling us to meet a pickup compliance metric and now we have our pickups in ORION way to early. Including "smart pickups". I tell ya the only reason I turn ORION on anymore is for entertainment purposes. Then I shut it off before I leave the building.

On the rare occasion that happens (after a bad storm) I actually like it. Especially when they are still able to print the SPAs. We've only had to use paper once since PAS/EDD was implemented.
What would happen if you followed it for an entire week? How would that go?

Geo926

If I have a lot of air, I'll run Orion. Will also try to get off whatever ground is there too since it seems to bury it 50 stops later. Once 10:30 comes and goes, I run it my way. With the pickups mixed in and it having me cross main streets, no thanks.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
If I have a lot of air, I'll run Orion. Will also try to get off whatever ground is there too since it seems to bury it 50 stops later. Once 10:30 comes and goes, I run it my way. With the pickups mixed in and it having me cross main streets, no thanks.
I don't dare cross the main streets on my area.
Might get run over by a farm tractor pulling a manure spreader.

Scottyhawk

[QUOTE="porkwagon, post: 2065646, member: 7859"along with the "keystroke upgrade,"

what keystroke upgrade?[/QUOTE]
I think someone is blowing smoke, trying to say that they added a keystroke logger to the diad software to track when a diad is being touched while the vehicle is in motion, which I find very hard to believe, considering the amount of memory needed and/ or the diad would have to be pinged realtime every second

Scottyhawk

what keystroke upgrade?
I think someone is blowing smoke, trying to say that they added a keystroke logger to the diad software to track when a diad is being touched while the vehicle is in motion, which I find very hard to believe, considering the amount of memory needed and/ or the diad would have to be pinged realtime every second[/QUOTE]
By the way I touch my diad 100 times a day being an unassigned driver doing 12 different routes and they do not say boo to me about it. Told me the other day I had 126 seat belt violations 1 day obviously seat belt sensor error but nothing about recording while traveling

stewardTJ677

I can run my route 99.2% accurate, but be over my allowed mileage by 21 miles. 21! Management explained to me that I "followed it too much." Direct quote. Also, adding in pickups is the worst decision they made, because Orion has you doing pickups out of compliance. Way out. The system was a great concept, but an embarrassing rollout. Everyone in the company knows it's a failure but won't admit it. Pride apparently.

jones5050

I can run my route 99.2% accurate, but be over my allowed mileage by 21 miles. 21! Management explained to me that I "followed it too much." Direct quote. Also, adding in pickups is the worst decision they made, because Orion has you doing pickups out of compliance. Way out. The system was a great concept, but an embarrassing rollout. Everyone in the company knows it's a failure but won't admit it. Pride apparently.

Management can put commit times on the pickups, but for some reason they don't want it that way. I am constantly told that pick ups are not a concern right now. Just pick them up before they close. What if they close early and I'm trying to pick up hour late? I was told that is there fault. When does this nonsense stop...

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Can someone explain this - if I'm Orion compliant and finish at the exact time Orion says I'll be done - why am I still over-allowed?

I don't care but I don't understand this. If my Orion times are perfect why isn't this scratch?
Different systems that have 0 interaction with each other. It's ridiculous.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The old rule of thumb used to be that any action you took to keep from showing up on one of their reports would automatically cause you to appear on a different one.

That is no longer the case.

The NEW rule of thumb...is that any action you take to keep from showing up on one of their reports will automatically cause you to appear on TWO different ones.

You cant make them happy. So dont bother trying. Just get the work done as safely and efficiently as possible and let them deal with what shows up on their reports. Focus on the things that matter snd let them worry about the things that dont.