Orion 100%

JL 0513

I have seen ORION work extremely well, but it has one critical flaw. The loops have to be set up and traced well. The map data has to be pristine and each route must have parameters set correctly. The problem is none of this is static. It cannot be one and done. Won't work. To be successful, the data must be monitored, corrected and improved every day. No exceptions. If you have a good DMS who knows his or her job, ORION works great. The problem is that good DMS's are few and very far between. In retrospect, ORION was a huge waste of money because UPS failed to properly train key people and then hold them accountable. Drivers and customers end up paying the price.
Orion shouldn't be a program that needs constant input. Should be an independent AI system like every tech company has that works. Google, Amazon, etc. have brilliant systems. UPS has all the data there. What's a business, what's a residence. Commit times, pick up times. The exact location of every address. Original EDD as a basis. And so much more. All that data should all be in there and a good system could figure out a proper solution and not need to be fixed manually.

BrownStains

How do other delivery companies route theirs? Why would you not have your truck loaded to the way your route goes. That can never happen if it changes through the day. To me , Orion is just a flawed system and rdo was superior .

JL 0513

It's impossible to load the trucks by Orion. From the first stop, Orion changes based on when you leave the building. Then of course it now changes all day.

There's just no way to have an Orion solution before the preload even punches in. The routes aren't even fully sorted out yet, add/cuts happen all morning, etc.

YourMissingCallTag

I noticed on Monday that Dynamic Orion has arrived on the DIAD 6. Got the “your itinerary updated” message a couple of times. Was too shocked to get a picture of that madness. Somehow it kept telling me my next stop was a business pick up whose pick up window didn’t open for 3 hours……

Est.1998

Yeah it amazes me that they even think jumping around shelf to shelf is even possible..just shows you the brain damaged upper management we have .

EVERY MANAGER SHOULD BE A DRIVER FOR 10 YEARS MINIMUM

✊🧔‍♂️
I don't think anything would change.

It's impossible to load the trucks by Orion. From the first stop, Orion changes based on when you leave the building. Then of course it now changes all day.

There's just no way to have an Orion solution before the preload even punches in. The routes aren't even fully sorted out yet, add/cuts happen all morning, etc.
i'd just be happy if the preloader remained the same.

tadpole

Orion shouldn't be a program that needs constant input. Should be an independent AI system like every tech company has that works. Google, Amazon, etc. have brilliant systems. UPS has all the data there. What's a business, what's a residence. Commit times, pick up times. The exact location of every address. Original EDD as a basis. And so much more. All that data should all be in there and a good system could figure out a proper solution and not need to be fixed manually.
If the start times are changing from day to day, or if a different driver who may be much faster or slower is doing the route, or if traffic changes, etc, this info would need to be considered, as it would affect the solution of saving the most miles.

Tortuga

I AM THE MiLKMAN
I passed my probation about 2 years ago. Ever since I deliver my NDA, then businesses and finally bulk stops. I follow Orion 100% for the remaining 100+ stops.

Hot Carl

I noticed on Monday that Dynamic Orion has arrived on the DIAD 6. Got the “your itinerary updated” message a couple of times. Was too shocked to get a picture of that madness. Somehow it kept telling me my next stop was a business pick up whose pick up window didn’t open for 3 hours……
Yeah that happened to me yesterday too. Destroyed the entire day And now we dont have a work-around for it like we did with the DIAD V. And we're breaking in a new dispatcher so the SPAs were all really bad. Punched out at 9:30. Probably gonna make a lot of money this week.

rss13

We just got the update last week that supposedly turns on dynamic routing. I see the quick pop up that says it’s updating the itinerary but literally nothing changes in the actual list.

Nah
It's just trying to reduce miles.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
UPSelonbuyingit.jpeg

BrownStains

The other day I started my residential at 1pm. Orion updated Atleast 10 times mixing up my neighborhoods until the point i started pickups at 3 pm. How the hell am I supposed to get the crap done when it just constantly updates and mixes everything up. This company is ridiculous .

GenericUsername

The other day I started my residential at 1pm. Orion updated Atleast 10 times mixing up my neighborhoods until the point i started pickups at 3 pm. How the hell am I supposed to get the crap done when it just constantly updates and mixes everything up. This company is ridiculous .
Once it updates to what you think is acceptable prerecord the very last stop and it won't update again. :)

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Yea something is up. I've never seen it like this before. At one point it wanted me to deliver 2 apartment doors. Then later come back to deliver the house across the street. Then come back a third time to deliver the third apartment door.

It also reversed the entire trace and demanded I cross the busy expressway 10 seperate times. Before finishing the route in the resis you'd normally do first.

The thing is so whacky. What I find funny is that orion on my saturday route is nearly perfect. You only have to beeline 2 apartments and jump past a single section. Otherwise it traces like you'd want it to. The pickups have to be the major culprit.

Last edited: