Orion 3.0 Disaster.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
That is pretty valid. The route next to mine used to dispatch at 80 stops with the same pick ups it currently has. Now, it needs 100 for an 8 hour day and routinely goes out with 120.

I would love to see production efficiencies result in an earlier day, instead of constantly boosting stops.
Honestly this is a serious issue that will only get worse. The more technology they add or things like CIR to make us deliver more stops really just compounds the problems should something like friday happen.

No edd no maps no diad sure that all works with 1990 stop counts. Doesnt work with 2020 stop counts

Undertow

Honestly this is a serious issue that will only get worse. The more technology they add or things like CIR to make us deliver more stops really just compounds the problems should something like friday happen.

No edd no maps no diad sure that all works with 1990 stop counts. Doesnt work with 2020 stop counts
If history is any guide, I'm afraid you're right. We've had ORION here for well over 5 years and it has always been a constant detriment to not only employee moraleproduction but even safety. For drivers who had delivery areas out in the rural and and hilly terrain, many would run their two-lane highway and 3 block long uphill driveway stops first if they knew bad weather was going to hit by the mid point of the day. Then the office begins the usual threats over complying with a program that simply can't lay out a sensible trace even in decent weather and what happens? Guys stuck in snow drifts out in the middle of nowhere, sometimes missed stops in the hundreds just for one car, and/or accidents and injuries due to the fact that total darkness and slippery surfaces is never a safe situation to be forced to work in.

Yet that's what management's commitment to this "Too Big To Fail" charade known as ORION has done. It forces the employees into situations that are most often best avoided. I simply can't count how many times this program insists on delivering to restaurants at the height of lunch hour, schools when when the line of buses to pick up students stretches more than a city block long, or seems to think a good time to deliver the 75 piece dump stop to the big box retail store is somehow after the last pickup of the day. It's just simply always failing. Had a driver performed as pathetic and made as many stupid decisions 25 years ago at the daily rate ORION does now, He or She would have been written up and fired in a matter of weeks and perhaps even days. I think that's really one of the things some of us that are in the later innings of our working days resent most about it still being allowed to wreak havoc.

I laughed out loud when I first heard about a petition being circulated regarding putting air conditioning into the delivery trucks, but when I think about the amount of money the company has thrown out the window trying to prop up the corpse known as ORION, keeping the drivers a little cooler probably would have been a far better allocation of resources. The working conditions with the heat, the pandemic, and the terrible load quality are enough to deal with as things are already. Being burdened with ORION and it's non-stop blunders and endless string of flaws just begs drivers to go on the 9.5 list and never come off.

MrBates

Seriously how do you not TEST RUN the new software before rolling it out? Same thing happened when they updated the UPS website. Multi Billion dollar company hires amateurs to run I.T.....Smh

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
3.0 also screws up the lunch recording function, you cant edit it and you cant enter it at the end of the day.
Not really that bad, just write down the time you stop for lunch. 30 minutes later or one hour later, enter that time and finish time in the diad. (Both times will match current dial time, minus 30 or sixty for start of course.)

By entering the start time at the end of lunch you are less likely to mess up the data entry.

This forces the runner-gunners to take a lunch in terms of no diad activity, although I have a feeling some are back there sorting.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Multi Billion dollar company hires amateurs to run I.T.

They have "top" people....

1598187380725.png

:biggrin:

Thegameisrigged

What happened to shaving? I mean I'm used to it (USMC) I've been shaving every morning seven days a week for like 15 years...whether I'm working, or vacation, weekend, doesn't matter to me...

Did they take that rule away? Half the drivers I see practically have beards, and they don't look like they have a waiver either. No one gives a :censored2: anymore?

Edit: I'm not for or against it, again I will always shave. I'm just curious if the company changed that rule
How does one “look like” they don’t have a waiver?

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Dude I’m joking with you. There are already a million threads on how easy it is to obtain a shave waiver. Honestly it was the easiest thing I’ve ever done at UPS.

So you were dishonest on why you needed one?

That's the way I read this post...

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Orion is a failed inefficient system and they know it.

Orion is tied into a couple of other programs..if they are wrong then Orion is wrong.

Most Managers think the PDS job is to print a stack of reports to be placed on the managers desk...so your Orion does not get worked on ever.....

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Orion is tied into a couple of other programs..if they are wrong then Orion is wrong.

Most Managers think the PDS job is to print a stack of reports to be placed on the managers desk...so your Orion does not get worked on ever.....
It is physically impossible to follow ORION while also following established 340 delivery methods. The two are mutually exclusive. If I had followed my ORION trace during an OJS ride 10 years ago I would have been written up for methods violations and wasted time and miles. The entire concept is inherently flawed, it is nothing but an exercise in forced stupidity for the sake of generating a compliance metric. You can drink the ORION kool aid because you are safe behind a desk, you will never have to actually go out in the real world and have to try and follow it. Those of us who do have to use it all agree that it is garbage.

Last edited: