Orion, does it work and if not? Why?

5habits100

Because for some reason, they are able to effectively solicit monetary "donations".

Funny thing is, they won't reveal where it comes from.

They "say" it's from (Teamster) members....

But, they won't open their books to prove it. (We all know, anyways)

-Bug-
They believe in democracy and openness unless it affects them.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
They believe in democracy and openness unless it affects them.

Same way, with "their" elections.

Anyone who has tried to sign up Teamster members to DRIVE will tell you....

It's hard enough, to get members to donate a dollar a week.

They will generously give to United Way, but nothing associated with the Union.

-Bug-

Where do you think TDU's money is coming from?

I have no idea, nor do I care.

I do however understand, that if donations are the true source of their funding, why they would not open their books for a bunch of ruthless thugs who would most certainly attempt to intimidate, threaten and coerce their benefactors.
If they were getting funded by the same people that fund Scott walker wouldn't you want to know this?

5habits100

Same way, with "their" elections.

Anyone who has tried to sign up Teamster members to DRIVE will tell you....

It's hard enough, to get members to donate a dollar a week.

They will generously give to United Way, but nothing associated with the Union.

-Bug-
Do they do a mailing to all the members with a supervised election? Oh wait they only want the union to do that. Hypocritical.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Do they do a mailing to all the members with a supervised election? Oh wait they only want the union to do that. Hypocritical.
While I am not defending TDU, you are comparing apples to oranges.

TDU is not a union. TDU does not negotiate your contract. TDU does not represent you in a disciplinary hearing. TDU is just an organization. A voluntary organization.

TDU could have the most corrupt "officers" in the country. This would not affect you in the slightest.

Let's compare that to the Teamsters. They are a union. They are not voluntary (I know RTW is growing and expanding but the Teamsters still work on your behalf) They negotiate a contract for you. They represent you at disciplinary hearing.

Do you really want corrupt officers in the Teamsters? It would not matter in TDU, but could make the biggest difference in the world in the Teamsters.

I see TDU as a watchdog organization that I could live with or live without. Just like Judicial Watch is a watchdog organization for the federal government.

5habits100

While I am not defending TDU, you are comparing apples to oranges.

TDU could have the most corrupt "officers" in the country. This would not affect you in the slightest.

Do you really want corrupt officers in the Teamsters? It would not matter in TDU, but could make the biggest difference in the world in the Teamsters.

Sorry I disagree with you. If TDU has corrupt officers it does affect all teamsters. The reason is they are getting people to run for teamster office and supporting them. So you see it does affect all of us.

As far as corrupt people in the union. If it can be proved they should be removed.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
If they were getting funded by the same people that fund Scott walker wouldn't you want to know this?

Are you saying this is the case?
Better yet, as the charging party, can you prove it?

But to answer your question, no, I'm not really interested in knowing.
I'm also not interested in joining.

I have said it before (and I doubt you'll hear it this time either), if the IBT would consistantly take care of business, TDU would evaporate much like APWA did.
Instead they get entwined in organized crime, negotiate subpar contracts, fall short in organizing efforts and mismanage pension funds.
Perhaps if they spent more time looking in the mirror, rather than over their shoulder at TDU, the landscape on the horizon would be brighter.

I want nothing but the best for my union and company and work diligently every day toward that goal, and I know without a doubt, that TDU isn't the problem.

Last edited:

10 point

Sorry I disagree with you. If TDU has corrupt officers it does affect all teamsters. The reason is they are getting people to run for teamster office and supporting them. So you see it does affect all of us.

As far as corrupt people in the union. If it can be proved they should be removed.
Many times, candidates are running against incumbents records without a comprehensive strategy to correct the problems that exist.

People make their decisions according to what affects them and don't always look at long term circumstances.

With all that being said, no matter who supports a candidate, it's our responsibility to research their words and actions.

10 point

But to answer your question, no, I'm not really not interested in knowing.

I have said it before (and I doubt you'll hear it this time either), if the IBT would consistantly take care of business, TDU would evaporate much like APWA did.
Instead they get entwined in organized crime, negotiate subpar contracts, fall short in organizing efforts and mismanage pension funds.
Perhaps if they spent more time looking in the mirror, rather than over their shoulder at TDU, the landscape on the horizon would be brighter.

I want nothing but the best for my union and company and work diligently every day toward that goal, and I know without a doubt, that TDU isn't the problem.
TDU is a symptom of another problem...not the root cause.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Maybe you can roll down to your local Eagles or K of C lodge and chastise them for their "unsupervised elections"?

The "TDU is the root of all evil" tactic is so broke.
Don't fall for this parlor trick.

But to answer your question, no, I'm not really interested in knowing.

All I was doing was asking a question based on your response to another post. Go back and reread it. It was just a question.

Does TDU support rtw?
Since they don't have to disclose anything and they elect the same guy every year how would you really even know. It's a secret. There are so many agendas in the world that you would never know who's backing them and if you did it would blow your mind. Think about this. Why is it so secret? You can't tell me that in the last 17 years the international hasent done one single positive thing that TDU can say something positive about. It reminds me of communism.

...and I answered your question?

No need to reread.
Come on organization crime? Really? Do you really think the international really gives a crap about TDU. Leedham and Pope. Come on. They are not a threat and the membership is to apathetic to really care. It's like the hat you once told me about this site. Nobody is really looking at this crap. And nobody gets your and I's discussions nor do they care.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Since they don't have to disclose anything and they elect the same guy every year how would you really even know. It's a secret. There are so many agendas in the world that you would never know who's backing them and if you did it would blow your mind. Think about this. Why is it so secret? You can't tell me that in the last 17 years the international hasent done one single positive thing that TDU can say something positive about. It reminds me of communism.

I can't speak for 10 point, but I don't follow what TDU, the Eagles or the Young Republican's, do or don't say.
The body of work I do follow is that of the IBT and it is open for scrutiny and "blows my mind".

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Come on organization crime? Really? Do you really think the international really gives a crap about TDU. Leedham and Pope. Come on. They are not a threat and the membership is to apathetic to really care. It's like the hat you once told me about this site. Nobody is really looking at this crap. And nobody gets your and I's discussions nor do they care.
Do you ever read the back pages of the Teamster magazine?
Yes, organized crime.
I was however, referring to the 5 decades of TDU's existance and why it persists.

Did you notice that this thread has been viewed over 12,000 times?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

If TDU has corrupt officers, who would even vote for who they are backing?

The people that they back are already local presidents and secretary treasurers. If these people are corrupt, why are they still local officers? Why did not the locals vote them out?

I believe TDU has their own agenda, to try and put TDU friendly people in office. But to say that they would try and put "corrupt" people in office is a little far fetched.

They want control of the union. This, in and of itself, may not necessarily be a good thing. But with all the concessions we took on the last contract dealing with a company as wealthy as UPS, is Hoffa a good thing?

I'm not saying to kill the goose, but we did not need to take concessions.