Orion, does it work and if not? Why?

Re-Raise

In my opinion the only miles they will save is from drivers indirecting packages to try to beat their miles to stay out of the office.

10 point

They will just say it is me I need to work faster, and I could buy that if it were true. But they put a 20 yr junior, one of their best guys, and he is, on it and he does no better, and he tells them and they listen to him, still it doesnt get fixed. They have another guy they put on it he does just as bad. center manager goes out and rides with him, and hes like wth are you pulling here, there everwhere, he tells him, shows him, its screwed up. Nothing is done. So IMHO they dont care. I care about service til I retire. I dont care how much they yell at me anymore. Because I gave them the info to fix it. I told them put me on the program I know how to fix it, I was running pcs while you guys were in diapers. They tell me its too complicated. So then screw it. Thats their answer and mine is leave me alone while I do my job.
Like I said.... They are never wrong.

If corporate says it works and the "team" sets it up as directed it has to work.
Whatever.

When PAS was a year old the management said they couldnt change it without approval from congress or someone in the marble palace.

That is, IMO, ignorance on fire. Some really self important person must have people fooled at mission control if it sucks worse than a failed pas system.

The lack of communication just adds to the frustration... If you care.

I guess that's the key. Someone that cares to take care of businesses that pays our bills.

I work with a really great driver who seems to have a lower IQ than some but he's not stressed about much of anything ... and he gets paid the same as I do. Maybe I'm the fool. Lol

10 point

Has anyone heard about the new version coming out late summer/early fall where there's a monitor placed in your cab to show the directions to your "next stop"?

I heard it's rolling out this year.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Has anyone heard about the new version coming out late summer/early fall where there's a monitor placed in your cab to show the directions to your "next stop"?

Nothing is decided yet. Talk about maybe having it in rear view monitor while truck is not in motion.

Overpaid Union Thug

A while back UPS purchased a company (or maybe just the rights to the product?) that had made a projection device that basically operates like a heads up display. Maybe for this reason.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Like I said.... They are never wrong.

If corporate says it works and the "team" sets it up as directed it has to work.
Whatever.

When PAS was a year old the management said they couldnt change it without approval from congress or someone in the marble palace.

That is, IMO, ignorance on fire. Some really self important person must have people fooled at mission control if it sucks worse than a failed pas system.

The lack of communication just adds to the frustration... If you care.

I guess that's the key. Someone that cares to take care of businesses that pays our bills.

I work with a really great driver who seems to have a lower IQ than some but he's not stressed about much of anything ... and he gets paid the same as I do. Maybe I'm the fool. Lol
I get it. Now. If I dont care I have less stress. I dont care anymore.

10 point

I get it. Now. If I dont care I have less stress. I dont care anymore.
That's a hard thing to turn off if you are an honest person BUT when the customers start threatening to divert our volume to other carriers THEN it's up to the company to fix it or lose $$$.
Unfortunately, the company has the right to run it into the ground. But they better not start pushing for sales leads unless they like being laughed out of the pcm.

10 point

In cab distraction......
It's supposed to turn off when you start to drive.

They could just put the text directions in the diad and you could read it on the walk back to the truck since we're supposed to move out without delay when back in the cab.

But I guess I'm just a truck driver...and an "overpaid crybaby". I didn't want to forget that part.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
It's supposed to turn off when you start to drive.

They could just put the text directions in the diad and you could read it on the walk back to the truck since we're supposed to move out without delay when back in the cab.

But I guess I'm just a truck driver...and an "overpaid crybaby". I didn't want to forget that part.
Ok, if its in the cab, how much will the time between stops cost them, while we try to figure out wth they want us to do "that" And really it cannot be in the board, as we have to be watching our walkpath... its no different than walking and reading your phone, or driving and using a gps. It takes your eyes off your safety, and will it show up as viewing while idling, or viewing while driving. Or some other acronym, like vwi, or vwd. Its enough to scramble the brain, if you let it.

Last edited:

10 point

Ok, if its in the cab, how much will the time between stops cost them, while we try to figure out wth they want us to do "that" And really it cannot be in the board, as we have to be watching our walkpath... its no different than walking and reading your phone, or driving and using a gps. It takes your eyes off your safety, and will it show up as viewing while idling, or viewing while driving. Or some other acronym, like vwi, or vwd. Its enough to scramble the brain, if you let it.
There's no time for any of it. But if they can negotiate a cheaper work force with the threat of increased technology enabling Joe blow to get from point A to point B at $18/hr they have a reason to tinker with it.

Is it safe? (The options discussed). No.

Do they care when it comes to greatly increased profits with cheaper labor cost?

You be the judge because Orion already has drivers breaking the safety rules that have been pushed by the company for years.

Follow the money and you will figure it out every time.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
There's no time for any of it. But if they can negotiate a cheaper work force with the threat of increased technology enabling Joe blow to get from point A to point B at $18/hr they have a reason to tinker with it.

Is it safe? (The options discussed). No.

Do they care when it comes to greatly increased profits with cheaper labor cost?

You be the judge because Orion already has drivers breaking the safety rules that have been pushed by the company for years.

Follow the money and you will figure it out every time.
That sounds familiar. I said any Tom, Dick or Harry at $15 an hour.

10 point

That sounds familiar. I said any Tom, Dick or Harry at $15 an hour.
No. It'll take more than 1 "Tom" because it'll take longer to deliver the equivalent stops that the normal driver would deliver. With these technology changes, presuming that's what the changes are, it'll take more time in between stops.

Don't think that new drivers arent using their smartphones to find their next stop already.

Last edited:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
No. It'll take more than 1 "Tom" because it'll take longer to deliver the equivalent stops that the normal driver would deliver. With these technology changes, presuming that's what the changes are, it'll take more time in between stops.

Don't think that new drivers arent using their smartphones to find their next stop already.
Yep. Had an off the street hire that was doing about 1/5 the work as the normal guy. Two weeks into a downtown route. About 10 miles a day total. He was still entering every stop into his phones GPS 1 at a time then driving to it.

Irishman Collins

Yep. Had an off the street hire that was doing about 1/5 the work as the normal guy. Two weeks into a downtown route. About 10 miles a day total. He was still entering every stop into his phones GPS 1 at a time then driving to it.
Brown, you are on the money. New drivers are using smart phones on a daily basis. No doubt about it

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
We have two or three of the new guys who request a printout of their routes in the morning and then sit down at the picnic table and map out each and every stop. This is all done before start time.

Wait, you have a picnic table?

Impossible to do that with Orion. You don't know what your stops are until start time. Brilliant!!!!!isnt it. Lol

Dave doesn't expect to see ORION before September. Doesn't know what he is in for.