Orion, does it work and if not? Why?

Irishman Collins

And if I hear "So, you guys only make right hand turns" one more time I'm gonna puke.
The hypocrisy of Orion is mind boggling! For years we have been trained to only make right hand turns and only back when necessary. Now, some how the company seems to think it is just as safe to make left hand turns and back into driveways continually. Unbelievable!!

clean hairy

If Orion is so great, Cover Drivers should be able to follow Orion 100% when covering routes blind and be fairly close the numbers of the regular Driver.
Any estimates on how long before that might really happen?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
The hypocrisy of Orion is mind boggling! For years we have been trained to only make right hand turns and only back when necessary. Now, some how the company seems to think it is just as safe to make left hand turns and back into driveways continually. Unbelievable!!
My orion instructor said, Of course ................they did the study on right hand vs left hand turns and found no increase, in accidents. So wy did they force feed it for years, because another study said it did, of course. Yeah right. We have had drivers pulled into the office for increased backs, and then the next day for being way over on miles. Because they did not back, but Orion did.
Some days I just shut it off, once its deviated from its hard to piece back together. They just yell, let them yell.
I just want to go home and I know if I follow the maze, I will never get there.

10 point

If Orion is so great, Cover Drivers should be able to follow Orion 100% when covering routes blind and be fairly close the numbers of the regular Driver.
They already burn our routes up now and most of the avoidable accidents are because of them running crazy.

None of them will ever replace the bid driver in good customer relations or service satisfaction...the things that holds UPS customer's loyalties.

Irishman Collins

They already burn our routes up now and most of the avoidable accidents are because of them running crazy.

None of them will ever replace the bid driver in good customer relations or service satisfaction...the things that holds UPS customer's loyalties.
Customer relations is out the door with this technology. Delivery times change daily. The one thing that made us the most dependable, reliable delivery company in the world is gone forever. If any real competition develops UPS will find themselves in a position they have never been in. They will suddenly be in a price war with our competition without any service that stands out from the rest. It is almost like they are purposely trying to squeeze as much blood from the turnip until it is bone dry. After they have squeezed every profitable nickel out of the company. I believe they will sell the company. Think about it. Amazon theoretically owns us anyway. Watch UPS sell to Amazon once they have squeezed every penny and turned the company into just a shell of itself.

10 point

Customer relations is out the door with this technology. Delivery times change daily. The one thing that made us the most dependable, reliable delivery company in the world is gone forever. If any real competition develops UPS will find themselves in a position they have never been in. They will suddenly be in a price war with our competition without any service that stands out from the rest. It is almost like they are purposely trying to squeeze as much blood from the turnip until it is bone dry. After they have squeezed every profitable nickel out of the company. I believe they will sell the company. Think about it. Amazon theoretically owns us anyway. Watch UPS sell to Amazon once they have squeezed every penny and turned the company into just a shell of itself.
We can't always figure out the game plan but when it comes to service issues (the one thing we sell) we can see the hand writing on the wall.

Can we ever trust corporate America?

Get your house paid off asap.

Re-Raise

They are in the process of implementing ORION at our center right now. They have had a team there "mapping" our routes to be followed by an implementation team.

As a 20 + year bid driver I try to be consistent. My route is set up so that I can make air commit times in all 3 towns I deliver to , while still allowing my businesses to expect their deliveries about the same time each day.

I have a feeling the "implementation team" will want me to completely change the route each day.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
They are in the process of implementing ORION at our center right now. They have had a team there "mapping" our routes to be followed by an implementation team.

As a 20 + year bid driver I try to be consistent. My route is set up so that I can make air commit times in all 3 towns I deliver to , while still allowing my businesses to expect their deliveries about the same time each day.

I have a feeling the "implementation team" will want me to completely change the route each day.
Your feeling is correct. We dont even know how to fill out a delivery notice anymore.....

By The Book

If the regular driver was to follow his route 100% then yes. I guess it could happen now if both drivers in question did what you are saying. Where the numbers won't line up is if they don't do the route exactly the same. Breaks, lunch, speed, shortcuts, etc.

upsgrunt

I can promise you that will happen. Orion is completely ridiculous.

10 point

If the regular driver was to follow his route 100% then yes. I guess it could happen now if both drivers in question did what you are saying. Where the numbers won't line up is if they don't do the route exactly the same. Breaks, lunch, speed, shortcuts, etc.
Cover drivers take a lunch and breaks?

By The Book

Whatever you do don't budge on your air commits! It may change a lot but should allow you to end up at your last air commit on time. If you leave the building without delay and drive the speed limit especially when they ride with you, and take a full lunch and breaks that day, your days after they leave won't be that bad. Do your pickups and break for them like you always do and tell them who closes early etc. keep us posted after your ride.

By The Book

Cover drivers take a lunch and breaks?
It's a rarity. Oh they say they took all their personal time, it just came off real easy. These cover drivers will end up making their own routes suck by doing all these shortcuts. I'm only referencing the runners not the ones who try to do the bid routes like the bid drivers because they still care.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Whatever you do don't budge on your air commits! It may change a lot but should allow you to end up at your last air commit on time. If you leave the building without delay and drive the speed limit especially when they ride with you, and take a full lunch and breaks that day, your days after they leave won't be that bad. Do your pickups and break for them like you always do and tell them who closes early etc. keep us posted after your ride.
Disagree. I have a whole section of 15 businesses and they are all at the end of my orion day. It was not like that when he rode with me, it is now like that 90% of the time, unless I have air there, then it gets smoothed out. I have on a map shown them, now I have to fit these 15 businesses in, during my day, or they get missed. So Now I am 1 hr behind plan and have trouble getting my commercial off, and no one will fix it. He KNEW schools closed early, I pointed it out, now they just tell me you get 15 breaks do it. If I run them the way they should be done, backwards, there is my 15 breaks per 100. If I go up and follow it in trace, I add 7 miles. Still it puts me at risk with all my commercial because this 15 is not counted in before my 345 pick ups that last til 5. So it is a nightmare every day. One day they told me I had to follow orion, got to my area at 945, and Orion had me doing 15 stops some heavy, some with security before I even started my air. They would have all been late!!!!! And all I get is do the best you can do, make your first orion stop! I do 15 an hour on a good day. They have me doing 20. And with snow and ice, it might be 10. So I just shut it off and go. I will do the first stop, the 1st one is the only one that is right.

By The Book

Disagree. I have a whole section of 15 businesses and they are all at the end of my orion day. It was not like that when he rode with me, it is now like that 90% of the time, unless I have air there, then it gets smoothed out. I have on a map shown them, now I have to fit these 15 businesses in, during my day, or they get missed. So Now I am 1 hr behind plan and have trouble getting my commercial off, and no one will fix it. He KNEW schools closed early, I pointed it out, now they just tell me you get 15 breaks do it. If I run them the way they should be done, backwards, there is my 15 breaks per 100. If I go up and follow it in trace, I add 7 miles. Still it puts me at risk with all my commercial because this 15 is not counted in before my 345 pick ups that last til 5. So it is a nightmare every day. One day they told me I had to follow orion, got to my area at 945, and Orion had me doing 15 stops some heavy, some with security before I even started my air. They would have all been late!!!!! And all I get is do the best you can do, make your first orion stop! I do 15 an hour on a good day. They have me doing 20. And with snow and ice, it might be 10. So I just shut it off and go. I will do the first stop, the 1st one is the only one that is right.
I was only replying to Re-Raise. Your situation is, from what I've read, a plan to fail.

10 point

I bet that if you call in and tell them that you're going to have missed businesses every day and they don't respond that when they get sheeted missed someone will get their mind right then? Maybe, maybe not, but that's what I did when they implemented Pas in our building.

After playing games with me for about 6 months the division manager got hacked off about it and the preload dispatch supervisor got a vacation in another building.

If you care it really sucks.
And you know that they are never wrong.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I bet that if you call in and tell them that you're going to have missed businesses every day and they don't respond that when they get sheeted missed someone will get their mind right then? Maybe, maybe not, but that's what I did when they implemented Pas in our building.

After playing games with me for about 6 months the division manager got hacked off about it and the preload dispatch supervisor got a vacation in another building.

If you care it really sucks.
And you know that they are never wrong.
They will just say it is me I need to work faster, and I could buy that if it were true. But they put a 20 yr junior, one of their best guys, and he is, on it and he does no better, and he tells them and they listen to him, still it doesnt get fixed. They have another guy they put on it he does just as bad. center manager goes out and rides with him, and hes like wth are you pulling here, there everwhere, he tells him, shows him, its screwed up. Nothing is done. So IMHO they dont care. I care about service til I retire. I dont care how much they yell at me anymore. Because I gave them the info to fix it. I told them put me on the program I know how to fix it, I was running pcs while you guys were in diapers. They tell me its too complicated. So then screw it. Thats their answer and mine is leave me alone while I do my job.

Overpaid Union Thug

ORION has veteran drivers feeling lost in neighborhoods that they've been delivering in for years. Many routes are impossible to "beat" on miles because they contain large and complex residential areas and/or the same for commercial that can be ran many different ways. Shaving miles in these areas (with ORION) would require ALLOT of turning around in driveways and driving up streets in the opposite directions that drivers have been driving for years. Even decades. But they have no idea where to go next in order to match the ORION plan.

The only ways for a driver to know which way to go and turn like ORION wants is to have the same tablet issued to us that the ORION people have with them when they first come out and ride along. Or....we can use our own personal devices such as smart phones or data enabled tablets. Or even stop and send a message to the center asking for detailed instructions that tell us where to go next. I refuse to use my own device in the same manner as the ORION teams used theirs and the latter option would be a disaster for both the driver and the OMS back at the center. So.....I say screw ORION. It just isn't worth it. For lots of reasons.

UPS just needs to quit while they are ahead and admit that ORION is an epic failure. They will actually save money that way and won't have to lie about it like they do when they claim ORION is saving money by cutting miles.