ORION, Who has it and tell us what you think...

Buck Fifty

orion will work well with the real world loads we deal with day to day

When I have a load like this, I wait til every driver in the building leaves and back my truck right in front of center managers office and let him watch me take care of it. It's always entertaining when he's chewing on the pt and ft sups. Its a front, but very entertaining.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Lip-loading is only good when you have boxes stacked on top of each other otherwise when I get to my car in the morning I push all the box past the lip to prevent then from fall all over the floor as pictured above..
Having been a loader when a good load mattered, this truck is horrible!

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
orion will work well with the real world loads we deal with day to day
Holy Crap! That load looks a lot like my TP60 in the morning. After about an hour of load time from one of the best preloaders in the industry, I have a load I can actually deliver in a stop for stop sequence!

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I have no doubt that ORION will be a big money maker...for me.
I feel bad that Pretzel Man had to come off his month long hiatus and work this weekend trying to guard against preconceived notions.
Could the big push to implement this system, company wide, correspond with our expiring contract?
Would this system aid a scab/supervisor trying to run my route?
Absolutely.
Is it something a seasoned bid driver needs or appreciates?
Not a chance, it's an insult to our intelligence.

Wizzy

It scares the hell out of me and I hope i retire before it gets to us! Sounds lime another example of Dick sitting in air condition ivory tower justifing his existence!

browniehound

My PDS is an incompetent maroon who screws up our dispatch literally every single day. Some how he manged to convince his superiors that the problem wasn't really him, it was the fact that the center was poorly looped and that if they would let him reloop it he could fix everything (this despite the fact that everything was going pretty good before he got here). This turned out pretty much the way we expected: a disaster. He has screwed the loops up beyond belief, none of his plans make sense and no one knows from one day to the next what their route will consist of. I'm sure that ORION will solve all our problems though, because clearly the answer is give this raging idiot even more power over the system.

I say give ME a chance to re-loop the center. I will charge a 1-time fee of $500 as it will take me all of about 1 hour. I've driven all the routes, I know all the number breaks and understand all the quirks of the delivery area.

I'll have the center running to maximum efficiency in no-time. There will be no bull-ssss. There will be no missed businesses. All commercial stops (excluding retail) will be delivered before 1500. The correct driver will get the correct add/cut and if a route needs to be cut I will give the right driver the work that makes hum the mjost efficient and makes the most sense (remember common sense?).

I know this because I've lived, breathed, and ate all these routes. I guess the goal is stops per car and its this number that creates all this EDD madness. I would make the stops/car number and reduce miles if you just let me at the computer for a couple of hours.

Instead, we have some half-wit pointing and clicking while referencing a map and nothing else. No clue about commercial stops, important shippers, preffered shippers, schools (they love to put a school in my split with a ETA of 1430. brilliant!), or no stops in high traffic areas when they should be delivered when traffic is light.

Say what you want, but I'm driving more miles now than I've ever had before the EDD system. For example, my route is 1.5 miles from the building but on one Monday I drove 79 miles. 79 miles! Who ever planned this should have lost their job because I could circle the town 3 times and not drive 79 miles. 79 miles! My first stop is less than 1.5 miles from the center! How could I drive 79 miles?

Indecisi0n

It scares the hell out of me and I hope i retire before it gets to us! Sounds lime another example of Dick sitting in air condition ivory tower justifing his existence!

Why? Like said above I can't wait for the day when i get the "order" to follow ORION. I see plenty of late air, missed business and overtime in my future.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
Dracula,

If you are saying that ORION will not work if the preload has lots of misloads, you are absolutely right....

Part of deployment is tracking misloads. ORION only knows the deliveries that PAS / EDD shows. If they are incorrect, ORION will be equally incorrect.....

Why would you only worry about misloads in ORION centers? If you reduce miles by reducing misloads in ORION centers you'd be presenting a false report of ORION's impact on miles. I think this is how bad information is conveyed to upper management. Misloads should be fixed first so you can get an accurate baseline for the measurement of ORION results. Upper management and PAS developers need to take responsibility for the corporate wide misload problem created by PAS in my opinion. Until they admit the problem and get to work on a fix I don't think there'll be a permanent fix for misloads.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
I say give ME a chance to re-loop the center. I will charge a 1-time fee of $500 as it will take me all of about 1 hour. I've driven all the routes, I know all the number breaks and understand all the quirks of the delivery area.

I'll have the center running to maximum efficiency in no-time. There will be no bull-ssss. There will be no missed businesses. All commercial stops (excluding retail) will be delivered before 1500. The correct driver will get the correct add/cut and if a route needs to be cut I will give the right driver the work that makes hum the mjost efficient and makes the most sense (remember common sense?).

I know this because I've lived, breathed, and ate all these routes. I guess the goal is stops per car and its this number that creates all this EDD madness. I would make the stops/car number and reduce miles if you just let me at the computer for a couple of hours.

Instead, we have some half-wit pointing and clicking while referencing a map and nothing else. No clue about commercial stops, important shippers, preffered shippers, schools (they love to put a school in my split with a ETA of 1430. brilliant!), or no stops in high traffic areas when they should be delivered when traffic is light.

Say what you want, but I'm driving more miles now than I've ever had before the EDD system. For example, my route is 1.5 miles from the building but on one Monday I drove 79 miles. 79 miles! Who ever planned this should have lost their job because I could circle the town 3 times and not drive 79 miles. 79 miles! My first stop is less than 1.5 miles from the center! How could I drive 79 miles?

I like the idea of hiring outside contractors to do loop work. We have many retired employees that would do a great job. They could do the loop work and actually get it done because they'd be able to stay focused on the loop work instead of just barely making it through each day.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I like the idea of hiring outside contractors to do loop work. We have many retired employees that would do a great job. They could do the loop work and actually get it done because they'd be able to stay focused on the loop work instead of just barely making it through each day.

Occasionally this company needs to just allow people time to finish a project instead of measuring everything.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

Best suggestion I have heard in a looooong time!!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

I have no doubt that you could accomplish this. Unfortunately, here is what would happen; you would get all the routes properly looped, you would have every route loaded and balanced correctly with a 9 to 9.5 hour day, your drivers would all be set up to succeed....and then some high-ranking dipschitt from IE would call the center and shove a Stops Per Car edict down your throat that would require you to eliminate 3 of those routes 20 minutes before start time so that his fat worthless ass could look good on some report. You would then be forced to randomly shovel all those packages into the remaining cars as fast as possible so that the preload could get its people off the clock, hit its PPH plan and look good on its report. The loops you worked so hard to create would be rendered meaningless, your drivers would hit the road half an hour late with crap loads and custerfluck dispatches and they would cross paths and run up miles chasing misloads all day. But, by golly, it would all look good on the Stops Per Car report.

Overpaid Union Thug

I have no doubt that you could accomplish this. Unfortunately, here is what would happen; you would get all the routes properly looped, you would have every route loaded and balanced correctly with a 9 to 9.5 hour day, your drivers would all be set up to succeed....and then some high-ranking dipschitt from IE would call the center and shove a Stops Per Car edict down your throat that would require you to eliminate 3 of those routes 20 minutes before start time so that his fat worthless ass could look good on some report. You would then be forced to randomly shovel all those packages into the remaining cars as fast as possible so that the preload could get its people off the clock, hit its PPH plan and look good on its report. The loops you worked so hard to create would be rendered meaningless, your drivers would hit the road half an hour late with crap loads and custerfluck dispatches and they would cross paths and run up miles chasing misloads all day. But, by golly, it would all look good on the Stops Per Car report.

You forgot to mention that he'd be called some pretty demeaning names on a conference call and/or email if he were to fail to make the stops per car or PPH metric by a coward district manager that would never dare say such things to anyone in any other setting outside of UPS