Our Saturdays now belong to UPS

705red

Browncafe Steward
The Tuesday through saturday language was changed in the 2002 contract. If your seniority date falls after 8/1/02 you can be asked to work these days. If your seniority falls before this your fine.

My understanding of that language was for a set schedule, I do not think they can abuse you and move you from M-friend to T-S and back to M-friend again.

They cannot offer this to other package car drivers with a 2002 and senior date because Sat is an automatic 6th day and OT pay even if they took Monday off.

PAS'd out

This ain't rocket science
Here in New England it was changed in the 1987 supplement along with air drivers, another junk contract negotiated for us. Schedule is M-friend or Tu-Sat. for full-time employees hired after July 31, 1987. The schedule when changed shall be posted on Monday to be effective the following Monday.

So here, they can bounce you as much as they want. It just is not practical or needed to use full-time drivers on Saturdays except on rare days like this, after a big Friday snowstorm or when Christmas is on Sunday or Monday.

UPSSOCKS

It looks like our Saturdays are officially fair game.

One of the benefits of the job is the five day work week. Monday through Friday, we give our days and most of our evenings to UPS, but the weekends have always belonged to us.

Until today.

I was informed this morning that for the week ending February 13, aka valentines Saturday, myself and the 3 other bottom seniority drivers in our center will be working a Tues through Saturday week, so that we may cover the valentines flower rush on Saturday without being paid overtime for going over 40 hours.

This is a new low, as now it seems UPS can intrude on our weekends as well as our evenings.

I have been a driver for nearly 15 years, part-time and full-time. Using full-time drivers to help out on a Saturday is nothing new. But the full-timers have always signed up by seniority, and with the exception of a Christmas Eve Saturday, I have never seen a full-timer forced to work a Saturday.

I find it hard to believe that this is contractual, but according to both my center management and our alternate union steward, this appears to be contractual.

We’ve lost the ability to make Saturday plans without concern over UPS deciding we need to give that time to them.

Oh please.. If it is so bad then quit. I am sure it won't be hard to fill your shoes. Instead of crying you should be thanking UPS for giving you a job.

Oh please.. If it is so bad then quit. I am sure it won't be hard to fill your shoes. Instead of crying you should be thanking UPS for giving you a job.
OH how I wish I had a dollar for eveytime I have heard that phrase. Specially when the truth of the matter is Sups cry as loud and as often as hourlys do.
AND, the reason they say that line is because they can't think of an actual reply that makes sense. ATTA BOY...keep up the good work. LOL

UPSSOCKS

OH how I wish I had a dollar for eveytime I have heard that phrase. Specially when the truth of the matter is Sups cry as loud and as often as hourlys do.
AND, the reason they say that line is because they can't think of an actual reply that makes sense. ATTA BOY...keep up the good work. LOL

And I tell the sups the same thing when they cry. I treat everyone equally management and non management. I am done talking about this matter. Work the freaking Saturdays or find employment elsewhere...

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
get used to it as ups expands to other markets that we have not served yet. there will be things in the future that will demand 24/7/365. and in doing so, a workforce will be needed to complete that expansion.

you will also see in the future a split work week for some, where you have one day off during the week, and one day off on the weekend.

dearest socks

the only job i know of that ups gave to someone was yours. the rest of us earned our jobs. i know that is a foreign concept to you, but you must learn to open your mind to the truth.......

d

rwsmith67

It looks like our Saturdays are officially fair game.

One of the benefits of the job is the five day work week. Monday through Friday, we give our days and most of our evenings to UPS, but the weekends have always belonged to us.

Until today.

I was informed this morning that for the week ending February 13, aka valentines Saturday, myself and the 3 other bottom seniority drivers in our center will be working a Tues through Saturday week, so that we may cover the valentines flower rush on Saturday without being paid overtime for going over 40 hours.

This is a new low, as now it seems UPS can intrude on our weekends as well as our evenings.

I have been a driver for nearly 15 years, part-time and full-time. Using full-time drivers to help out on a Saturday is nothing new. But the full-timers have always signed up by seniority, and with the exception of a Christmas Eve Saturday, I have never seen a full-timer forced to work a Saturday.

I find it hard to believe that this is contractual, but according to both my center management and our alternate union steward, this appears to be contractual.

We’ve lost the ability to make Saturday plans without concern over UPS deciding we need to give that time to them.

Iruhnman, If you don't like your weekends interrupted, don't even consider feeder!!:dissapointed:

Last edited by a moderator:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
rw

do you need help in posting your views on the above? if so let me know. it serves no purpose to quote a whole segment, then not put your view on the thread.

d

tieguy

Banned
1. I would ask higher seniority drivers who want the OT to grieve this. I do believe the contract allows drivers hired after a certain date to be forced to a Tues thru Sat schedule, but I don't believe this was intended to be used for a one-time random holiday.

2. How's your sick time? Maybe you 3 should bang in on the Saturday.

Over my friend I'm dissapointed with your answer.

The seniority system is wonderful unless you're the guy on the bottom. Time for him to man up and take his punishment like a man. His union fought for a seniority over favoritism system and its his turn in the barrel.

over9five

Staff member
Over my friend I'm dissapointed with your answer.

OK, maybe with the sick time part...

But don't you agree that this should be grieved? That language was put there so Tues thru Sat jobs could be made. Now it seems to be being perverted to force people to work a Saturday at someones whim, and the next week back to Mon thru Fri.
Grieve it, and we'll all have an answer we'll have to live with.

tieguy

Banned
OK, maybe with the sick time part...

But don't you agree that this should be grieved? That language was put there so Tues thru Sat jobs could be made. Now it seems to be being perverted to force people to work a Saturday at someones whim, and the next week back to Mon thru Fri.
Grieve it, and we'll all have an answer we'll have to live with.

Anything is worth a try in the grievance game but I think an arbitrator will see the language is there and recognize that ups has the right to adjust someones schedule.

The guy got over a months notice of this one week change. Sounds like his management group really went out of their way to give him plenty of notice.

Personally I think his crying and whining makes all teamsters look bad. Teamsters love seniority unless they don't have any.:happy-very:

UPSSOCKS

Let me add something else. The Union employees continue to want want want. When UPS goes out of their way to please our customers the first thing the union says is file, file, file. Saturday delivery is good for the company and the customer, in the end all employees will prosper. Management and Non Management. It's hard to make things work when union employees try to make everything more difficult than it already is on management. That is why some employees are treated badly and maybe even unfairly. The OP is a drama queen, he makes it sound like he is working every saturday for the rest of his life. We are only asking for one.