Oversize Boxes...

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
DSC_0047.JPG
so on my last pix on another thread, I'm back to another rental vehicle. A medium height Ford transit cargo van.

Last Saturday, I had a huuuuuuggggggeeee box that contain a plastic bumper cover. That behemoth of a box took a quarter of my cargo van!

I proceeded to remove the bumper cover and shipping labels and just taped the labels on the plastic wrapped bumper cover, in preparation to be "top loaded"

Management walked by & said u r not allowed to do that... I reply, do u see my cargo van & wat I'm dealing with?!?

I'm not a FedEx employee, just a "vendor" so unless u got an employee to run 1 stop off in the boonies, go pound sand & lemme deliver this car part on time.

Any other drivers deal with this?

& the customer was happy it arrived on a Saturday so he got straight to unwrapping it as soon as I DR MC the part

Attachments

• 0053.jpg
    0053.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 194

OrioN

If I was an hourly employee, I'll ask them if they can allow me to "double trip"

I will drive out & do 160 miles, then after my 11 hour day, I'll come back in to load the one stop & add another 2 hours & 50 miles

Oh, I am a vendor... Gray area...

I can crush the box to resemble this:

385820640.jpg

Then ask for a repack, which will allow me to just slap the labels & barcodes like my original plan since they won't have cardboard in that size

bacha29

If I was an hourly employee, I'll ask them if they can allow me to "double trip"

I will drive out & do 160 miles, then after my 11 hour day, I'll come back in to load the one stop & add another 2 hours & 50 miles

Oh, I am a vendor... Gray area...

I can crush the box to resemble this:

385820640.jpg

Then ask for a repack, which will allow me to just slap the labels & barcodes like my original plan since they won't have cardboard in that size
It's called " environmentally friendly motor freight" Motor freight without the pallet. Truck bumpers, back hoe buckets. cement mixers, steam jennies . They don't care. It's not their ruptured discs or their springs coming up through the floor boards. And at the risk of being called a bigot...those things attached to your shoulders what civilized people call arms.......that's your Mexican Towmotor.

It will be fine

View attachment 126945 so on my last pix on another thread, I'm back to another rental vehicle. A medium height Ford transit cargo van.

Last Saturday, I had a huuuuuuggggggeeee box that contain a plastic bumper cover. That behemoth of a box took a quarter of my cargo van!

I proceeded to remove the bumper cover and shipping labels and just taped the labels on the plastic wrapped bumper cover, in preparation to be "top loaded"

Management walked by & said u r not allowed to do that... I reply, do u see my cargo van & wat I'm dealing with?!?

I'm not a FedEx employee, just a "vendor" so unless u got an employee to run 1 stop off in the boonies, go pound sand & lemme deliver this car part on time.

Any other drivers deal with this?

& the customer was happy it arrived on a Saturday so he got straight to unwrapping it as soon as I DR MC the part
Just say "you got it!" Then when they walk away do whatever you want to. There won't be any consequence.

OrioN

Those boxes aren't oversize.

I'm showing u on my first pic how a Ford transit 250 medium height cargo van is with all my other freight... I'm guessing I only have about 400 cubic ft of space & I also load up my smalls on the passenger seat and floor...

and a measly plastic bumper cover follows that, I made it work by "top loading" it, so it won't be crushed

I got this cargo van after peak ended and I'm doing ok so far with playing Tetris everyday (lost only once when I had too many oversized boxes). I'm guessing the v6 powerplant mated to a 6~speed auto transmission is saving gas mileage (15-16 vs 8-9 in a traditional v8 gas guzzler )

The hankook tires are already down to the wear bars after 12,000 miles
DSC_0054.JPG

LoL, didn't last the 50,000 mile treadwear warranty

I'm using the full size spare on the rear side so I can have some good traction until I can get the rental agency to approve for a new tire change.
DSC_0049.JPG

Last edited:

OrioN

Why are you wasting time strapping down boxes?

Rear barn door GLASS, keeping stuff from hitting it because at times, I don lead shoe insoles and with inertia, boxes may break them... if the rear doors were made of all metal, then I wouldn't have to worry about it

SmithBarney

But your truck is undersized.

Removing the contents from the box is a tricky move that management may frown upon.

In the end the result, a successful delivery and a happy customer!

Yeah we've only had luck removing boxes from HITCHES being shipped in boxes, of course usually the hitch removes itself from the box, since it never should have been in a box to begin with.

MAKAVELI

Rear barn door GLASS, keeping stuff from hitting it because at times, I don lead shoe insoles and with inertia, boxes may break them... if the rear doors were made of all metal, then I wouldn't have to worry about it
You might consider just getting a net. Much easier to set-up and remove. Also does a better job covering multiple pkgs.

SmithBarney

The hankook tires are already down to the wear bars after 12,000 milesView attachment 126956

LoL, didn't last the 50,000 mile treadwear warranty

Unless the other tires are in worse shape, that tire isn't down to the wear bars yet..
the wear bars reside within the 4 parallel deep treads,
now the only thing I'd be concerned with is the shoulder of the tire seems to have more wear
than the rest of the tire, which points to either under inflation, or an alignment issue.

OrioN

Ya, it's a rental, they don't really GAF...

That was the front driver side. Fronts supposed to have~ 4/32" minimum, eh? The rears are showing the tread bars. 2/32" for that, yes?

I'm gonna get proactive next Monday and bring it directly to the place or they face the wrath of OrioN

OrioN

You might consider just getting a net. Much easier to set-up and remove. Also does a better job covering multiple pkgs.
Tried it, too much flex and the boxes will breach ... cam buckle straps ftw, until I finally get a proper vehicle

Do airmail freightliner sprinters get this bricked out too?

OrioN

Yeah we've only had luck removing boxes from HITCHES being shipped in boxes, of course usually the hitch removes itself from the box, since it never should have been in a box to begin with.

I read that shipping them in a box yields cheaper rates... plus, it's easier to make walls out of them in a trailer for transit.

I had a set of tire-rim assemblies in a box & figured out that was the main reason, so it can be stacked easily on a trailer.

Today I had a downpipe with a welded catalytic converter in a huge box the size of jabba the hut.

tumblr_noh1bxiAJt1uul194o3_540.gif

They didn't bother me this time since I had 149 other boxes to cram into this "short bus" of a cargo van

McFeely

Huge Member
Do airmail freightliner sprinters get this bricked out too?

Not at my station. About the only thing bricked out at my station are a couple of the Isuzus and a W900 that do bulk deliveries daily. But those bulks are off the truck within the first hour of deliveries.

The only time I had a Sprinter pretty full (not bricked out, mind you) was when I had one during peak one year. The worst part for me was my size. I'm tall and my shoulders don't fit very well between the shelves. Made for a very frustrating day of kicking boxes.

Star B

White Lightening
I've seen bricked everything at out station.

Vans, Sprinters, W600/700, the box truck we use... you name it, we've bricked it.

Typically they will get an FO driver to stay and deliver the bulky stop that's bricking it... but there are cases where they can't find any extra bodies.

I read that shipping them in a box yields cheaper rates... plus, it's easier to make walls out of them in a trailer for transit.

Avoids the Additional Handling surcharge of $11.00 a pkg for ground/express... unless it is a freebie in "Let Us Win Your Business" contract giveaways. Most of the time the major auto parts accounts do not put stuff in a box just because they can.

Last edited:

OrioN

Moar Tetris shenanigans...

IMG_20170405_221330.jpg

IMG_20170402_201045.jpg

IMG_20170402_201025.jpg

This transit cargo van is proper for this rural route, butt I needs a box body, similar to this:

00W0W_30PW6xqmsMi_600x450.jpg

Or, I'd get the Velocity van since I have logged over 8k miles on this van with no problems but the cheapo tires.

Fuel mileage is decent, drives like a car, squeezes in narrow driveways. Ford parts cheaper than German freightliner parts, other than the odd lengths of those wiper blades

Ergonomics are similar to the sprinter, but as others stated, good for smaller drivers, not for this guy:

FatBastard_zpsaef255e0.png

Star B

White Lightening
Um... I'm a bigger guy and my two gripes about the Sprinter are the step height and the fact that you can't grab the slide door handle and have it automatically unlock from the inside.

Yes, I bash my head on the bulkhead door occasionally and when it is bulked out its a pain to walk thru (what wouldn't be?).... but its better than trying to shove everything in a van or having to rattle around in a reach.

Before anyone calls me out on it, I am also annoyed at the fact they removed the traction control button, but I would bet that is a FedEx request, not a fault of the Sprinter itself.