Package Scanner Position

Griffin1820

File! File! File!
I'm not sure if package Scanner is the correct term for this position but I work the AM preload and our scanner is no longer there. I've been scanning in that position and it's gravy compared to loading trucks. I'm considering putting an intent to preferred job request in but was told it's a bid job by management and they would cut my pay 1 dollar an hour if this became my position. I'm not buddy buddy with management and have no problem citing union contract when management is doing our work. Lately theve been cycling in another employee on light days like they are training this person and I'm beginning to wonder if I've been lied to and they just don't want me to bid on this job? I'm pretty good at loading and I drive Saturday air plus will be doing seasonal driving come Christmas so they may have a reason for not wanting me to but I'd rather they just shoot straight. Any knowledge on this?

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
After the normel person is completely off the books. I should be posted for 2 weeks. If it is truly a bid position. After they confirm the new guy is filling that position. You can file for the position. First off. Ask your steward. For advise. He should be able to give you confirmation. Rather quickly

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I'm not sure if package Scanner is the correct term for this position but I work the AM preload and our scanner is no longer there. I've been scanning in that position and it's gravy compared to loading trucks. I'm considering putting an intent to preferred job request in but was told it's a bid job by management and they would cut my pay 1 dollar an hour if this became my position. I'm not buddy buddy with management and have no problem citing union contract when management is doing our work. Lately theve been cycling in another employee on light days like they are training this person and I'm beginning to wonder if I've been lied to and they just don't want me to bid on this job? I'm pretty good at loading and I drive Saturday air plus will be doing seasonal driving come Christmas so they may have a reason for not wanting me to but I'd rather they just shoot straight. Any knowledge on this?

Sounds like Revenue Recovery. RR is a different operation than hub and even package and isn't attached to either of those operations. In my area, it's not considered a "skilled job" and thus doesn't entail the $1/hour skilled pay premium of a preloader/pickoff/sorter.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Sounds like Revenue Recovery. RR is a different operation than hub and even package and isn't attached to either of those operations. In my area, it's not considered a "skilled job" and thus doesn't entail the $1/hour skilled pay premium of a preloader/pickoff/sorter.
Sounds like ECS clerk/PAS clerk, too. It's possible the bid was given to a FT 22.3, as two of our four ECS clerks on the preload are FT. However our recovery clerks are PT on the preload, so those may go to bid by preferred jobs. Of course it's all local practice.

I worked in revenue recovery for a while last year, and I was surprised to learn it is actually run and managed by an outside firm. I didn't care for it personally, but it's better than loading trucks.

Griffin1820

File! File! File!
OK let me better explain the position in question. Our hub has one guy who unloads the trailers on the belt the "scanner" scans the smart label and apply the PAL. From there it gets sorted and loaded onto the trucks a cording to the PAL label applied by the "scanner" that's pretty much the entire job. Once we are done scanning all the packages I go help loaders with any stack out they may have and wrap up the trucks before driver start.

Griffin1820

File! File! File!
Position hasn't been posted for bid and our scanner of over 10 years left us over 2 months ago. They just started cycling in this other guy a couple weeks ago.

Griffin1820

File! File! File!
After the normel person is completely off the books. I should be posted for 2 weeks. If it is truly a bid position. After they confirm the new guy is filling that position. You can file for the position. First off. Ask your steward. For advise. He should be able to give you confirmation. Rather quickly

I thought about this but got really ticked at the steward I know the other day. Our sup keeps telling low senority staff not to come in certain days and he is doing a ton of work. I've told him multiple times who should call someone in and someone finally filed grievances. Well our shop steward comes in 20 minutes before driver start to put cooler in truck and the sup is loading a car right across from me. As the steward walks by he says "doing egress work"? The sup says "exactly" and they have a big laugh. If staff wasn't sitting at home missing out on work it wouldn't bother me as much but it really ticked me off. We have one other steward I'm gonna have to get to know but obviously I can't or won't trust this one. The guy just filed grievances against this sup 4 days ago!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

OK let me better explain the position in question. Our hub has one guy who unloads the trailers on the belt the "scanner" scans the smart label and apply the PAL. From there it gets sorted and loaded onto the trucks a cording to the PAL label applied by the "scanner" that's pretty much the entire job. Once we are done scanning all the packages I go help loaders with any stack out they may have and wrap up the trucks before driver start.

SPA----Scan, Print, Apply.

The key is to make sure that your put the PAL smack dab over the bar code.

Griffin1820

File! File! File!
SPA----Scan, Print, Apply.

The key is to make sure that your put the PAL smack dab over the bar code.
Yes SPA... What do you know about the position? Is it a preferred position or does it fall under a bidder position etc....
I try to cover all the codes with it. I'm an overachiever. Lol
;)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yes SPA... What do you know about the position? Is it a preferred position or does it fall under a bidder position etc....
;)

Preferred, not bid.

It's not as easy as it looks, especially if you lose track of which package you just scanned.

"Out of sync" PALs are our most common misloads.

wayfair

swollen member
;)

to the drivers a favor and don't put the label over the barcode, especially the ones with "COD" in the upper right corner

PT Car Washer

Most of our SPA queens are Art 22.3 from back when there had to be one hard job combined with one easy job. New jobs are either load on one sort and unload on the next sort. I should think it would be a seniority issue as to who would get the job.