Packages loaded incorrectly causing missed service.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Two conflicting directives, "we don't pay you to sort your truck" and "look through your load by 3pm". Can't tell drivers not to spend time looking for packages in the back of the truck and expect them to find something that may or may not be there at the same time.

Asking management to explain what they want is like looking at a deer in headlights. You've been here long enough to play the game, these new guys get stressed and make bad decisions based on expectations they can't control.
I've never been told not to sort the truck.

I've got a pretty old school center manager though.

rudy5150

Part time sups dont have much control over preload. They cant change start times, they are given a number and they are expected to meet that number. Load quality is not a concern nor is safety. All managment cares about is the numbers. Quit blaming the under paid poor part timers for the friend#d preload. Nobody in their right mind would do that job for $11 or 12 hr

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Part time sups dont have much control over preload. They cant change start times, they are given a number and they are expected to meet that number. Load quality is not a concern nor is safety. All managment cares about is the numbers. Quit blaming the under paid poor part timers for the friend#d preload. Nobody in their right mind would do that job for $11 or 12 hr
I'm not blaming anyone, nor will I accept responsibility for anyone either. Bad thing about it, I can't control what others do, nice thing about it, I can't control what other people do.

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
As a preloader AND driver I sit in the middle of the fence on this.
I try extremely hard to make good loads and my drivers know it. I've had a few actually "request" to have me load their trucks.
The driver in me also knows what its like to be on a schedule and have to waste time looking for several 2000 NDA envelopes that the preloaders put in the 7000 section. I shouldn't have to spend all day looking for packages that are in the wrong spot.

Over 70

there are no effective and repeatable methods to decrease misloads

we keep trying to convince ourselves that there is, but there is zero data to back up any method will have an effect for more than a couple days

the fact is, people are just bad with reading and comprehension while they're working

the best way i've seen is to load by address, but that's incredibly inefficient; it's cheaper just to eat the missed pieces (not NDA) or have drivers run them if they're on-area

This is just me personally but when flow down the belt is reasonable, and management leaves me alone, I literally never misload. I'm in my own focused little world until the shift ends. I'm kind of OCD, and since I drive too take alot of pride in doing my best to send the driver out with a good day.

When flow is impossible to keep up with and requires me to stack and handle packages multiple times I'll have a misload or 4. When management hands me a 4 page cut at the very end in the middle of this and starts talking to me, knocking me out of focus, misloads happen while trying to keep up with the abomination coming down the belt and listen to their bull:censored2: how I shouldn't stack something like that.

Also the faster the flow, the slower I work. Safety first, with packages stacking up, I need to slow down to pay closer attention and where I'm stepping. Stacks get bigger and bigger

Misloads cost so much money I'd think a small incentive to avoid them would work out in the end but who knows.

Last edited:

Over 70

I can't tell you how many times I've left certain things off the truck until air is done so I can properly load the savers only to be yelled at to throw the bulk in first and just throw all the air in the back and let the driver sort it out.

It would take me 1 to 2 minutes max to load bulk last and have a much neater load but nope that would hurt their numbers.

I've never worked for a company that robs Peter to pay Paul as much as UPS.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Been noticing some serious load quality issues lately. For example 2000 pals being mixed in with 8000 shelf...I will go attempt service, deliver what I have for the business and go searching for that last one. Finally call it quits and keep it moving. Later on while delivering residentials, they'll just start popping up. Of course it's after 5 and the business is closed. We are told to call management if there are service issues. Called and asked if they wanted it sheeted missed and they won't give me any clear answer. They hesitate cause they want 0 missed everyday. So I'm not sure what they want me to do. Packages on car have to scanned one way or another.
I also refuse to stand in the back of that truck for even 10 minutes to search every shelf while it's scorching hot.
Refuse? You are sure luck you have EDD. Try going old school!

ManInBrown

Been noticing some serious load quality issues lately. For example 2000 pals being mixed in with 8000 shelf...I will go attempt service, deliver what I have for the business and go searching for that last one. Finally call it quits and keep it moving. Later on while delivering residentials, they'll just start popping up. Of course it's after 5 and the business is closed. We are told to call management if there are service issues. Called and asked if they wanted it sheeted missed and they won't give me any clear answer. They hesitate cause they want 0 missed everyday. So I'm not sure what they want me to do. Packages on car have to scanned one way or another.
I also refuse to stand in the back of that truck for even 10 minutes to search every shelf while it's scorching hot.
I guarantee you the 2000 package in the 8000 section was put there by a punk PT sup who sent the loader home early and just wanted to make sure the package got on the right car. They do it all the time here. They walk by and just toss the package on the right car. It's disgraceful. It's only happened to me a few times.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I guarantee you the 2000 package in the 8000 section was put there by a punk PT sup who sent the loader home early and just wanted to make sure the package got on the right car. They do it all the time here. They walk by and just toss the package on the right car. It's disgraceful. It's only happened to me a few times.
Right! Teamsters never do anything wrong. Always management.

Over 70

Right! Teamsters never do anything wrong. Always management.

I caught my pt sup misloading my car. It was funny to see the look on his face. Before anyone says to file, I'm about to have the chance to qualify and am just in the mode of live and let live. Once I qualify? Greivence machine. Sups are always working in my center.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Our load quality reports never get looked at. I write all sorts of messages on there and nothing has ever been said. On occasionally bad days i will write something extremely sarcastic that should elicit a talking to from management, but yet again nothing.
your best bet is to tell the loader yourself. Lots of time it is lack of training or someone else throwing the package in

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
if the loader cant get the envelopes in the right place because of bulk tell them to stick them in a tote and put outside the car

DOK

We're told to go thru our trucks by 2pm, no exceptions.

Over 70

if the loader cant get the envelopes in the right place because of bulk tell them to stick them in a tote and put outside the car

As a loader I almost always put envelopes behind pkgs but try to put a 6400 for instance behind a 6200 box so you find it before getting to 6400. I know Orion can :censored2: this plan but is that generally ok with a driver?

Johney

The driver in me also knows what its like to be on a schedule and have to waste time looking for several 2000 NDA envelopes that the preloaders put in the 7000 section. I shouldn't have to spend all day looking for packages that are in the wrong spot.
Excuse me for asking as I haven't drove package in a few years but, don't you verify your air count before you leave.