Packages loaded incorrectly causing missed service.

Boku41

Worked for UPS for 20, 17 driving. Due to family circumstances I quit. 8 years later due to family circumstances I am back loading. 30 years ago, made $9/hr preloading, with benefits after 30 days. Now making $11 with no benefits for a year. All of the raises have gone to full-time drivers, not to preloaders. Now, in our building, the average new worker quits after 2 days. 2 months ago there were 15 new hires and only 3 remain. 1 is on his way out and the other 2 are shaky. UPS is now paying minimum in our state since it was raised by law last November. Why would anyone work for UPS? We had 8 supervisors unloading today because they can't find anyone to work here. I would not either except for benefits and needing only 4 years for full retirement. So part of the bad loads is because the union has given the drivers all the raises and said screw the new guys. I understand why they have done that, but there are consequences. We have had 5 part-time sups on our belt since November. 2 that had no loading experience. 1 was very good but they sent him to Colorado to drive for Christmas and then sent him go a different belt when he got back. One has quit 3 times but they bring him back every so often. He lasted 3 weeks this time. The other was fired, then brought back, and then quit his second day back. It is a bad situation and it is only getting worse with Saturday ground.

Above10200

There is a new scanning system ( witch :censored2:ed us today) which will eliminate missloads. Didn't have 2 packages on my car! How many millions will they spend on this failure ( ORION)!!!!!

4evapreloader

I can't tell you how many times I've left certain things off the truck until air is done so I can properly load the savers only to be yelled at to throw the bulk in first and just throw all the air in the back and let the driver sort it out.

It would take me 1 to 2 minutes max to load bulk last and have a much neater load but nope that would hurt their numbers.

I've never worked for a company that robs Peter to pay Paul as much as UPS.

This is the new flavor of the month in our building. It's not that they want you to load bulk 5 minutes before finish, but once the unload is down which in reality means 30 minutes of everything from envelopes to bulk. It's management that does not care where packages go in the truck, not the preload. I've asked "how am I supposed to load this box anywhere near the right place?" They look at me like I have 2 heads .... and usually have no answers for me.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Worked for UPS for 20, 17 driving. Due to family circumstances I quit. 8 years later due to family circumstances I am back loading. 30 years ago, made $9/hr preloading, with benefits after 30 days. Now making $11 with no benefits for a year. All of the raises have gone to full-time drivers, not to preloaders. Now, in our building, the average new worker quits after 2 days. 2 months ago there were 15 new hires and only 3 remain. 1 is on his way out and the other 2 are shaky. UPS is now paying minimum in our state since it was raised by law last November. Why would anyone work for UPS? We had 8 supervisors unloading today because they can't find anyone to work here. I would not either except for benefits and needing only 4 years for full retirement. So part of the bad loads is because the union has given the drivers all the raises and said screw the new guys. I understand why they have done that, but there are consequences. We have had 5 part-time sups on our belt since November. 2 that had no loading experience. 1 was very good but they sent him to Colorado to drive for Christmas and then sent him go a different belt when he got back. One has quit 3 times but they bring him back every so often. He lasted 3 weeks this time. The other was fired, then brought back, and then quit his second day back. It is a bad situation and it is only getting worse with Saturday ground.
I agree with you. A lot. Except for the part where we ALL get to vote on the contract, and part timers outnumber full timers. Soooooooooo.......

VOTE!?!?!!!

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck

How 'bout drag your ass to ONE union meeting? If you all went one time, and organized a little, you could do a lot.

Rack em

Made the Podium
How 'bout drag your ass to ONE union meeting? If you all went one time, and organized a little, you could do a lot.
I used to be one of the only PTers to show up to our union meetings. It was about 10 drivers, one other PTer, and me at every meeting lol.

I don't think we've had a union meeting in over 2 years now. I am guessing it is because of the lack of attendance since our BA has to drive almost 3 hours?

AlliSeeisBrown

At 2pm, the time where we check for misloads and stuff, my PC is still blown out because it's a ridiculous split route with a butt load of residential hardware. I'll have 100 stops done and the truck looks not far from it did when I left the building. It's really difficult to search the car up and down and still be on track to make commits and keep over allowed down (flavor of the month) and not get heat exhaustion. Management knows the truck is too small and what kind of load I'm dealing with all day. Told them yesterday that if these pkgs keep popping up in crazy places it's just going to be missed due to load quality after 5.

Boku41

I don't know why you assume that I haven't been to a union meeting. I was a driver for 17 years, so I kind of know what goes on at UPS. The reason the part-timers don't go to meetings is that most don't look at their part-time job as a career like drivers do. Your whole future revolves around the union vote. Most part-timers don't care, because they see themselves at a different job in a year or two. They look at this job as temporary. So the part-timers don't care and they will just go somewhere else, while the union vote is everything to the drivers. Hence, part-timers don't have anyone looking out for them, including themselves. Chipotle (and many others of course) pays more, has better hours, and has air conditioning. Why work at UPS? Hence, constant turnover for the preloaders.

CleverNameHere

I'm sorry, were you talking to the driver or the preloader.

Bad supervision or training isn't the driver's problem, it's management's problem. Just because the belt supervisor isn't training employees and loading/scanning stuff on the belt just to make a number on a report, that it means I have to make up for their inability to do their job. Is it reloads job to come out and meet me to grab my air because dispatch did a :censored2:ty job 12 hours ago?

Internal customer service is dead, this is the result, the buck stops at the external one, which the company has chosen doesn't matter anymore. Hopefully we get some corporate management that can see growing the business is about servicing the customers in a premium capacity instead of looking at the next earnings report guidance.

If we can service the customer above and beyond their expectations, we won't have to worry about money.

The preload is suppose to check every package before I even get to work. I refuse to take responsibility for someone else's failures that I have no control over, be it management or hourly.

Two conflicting directives, "we don't pay you to sort your truck" and "look through your load by 3pm". Can't tell drivers not to spend time looking for packages in the back of the truck and expect them to find something that may or may not be there at the same time.

Asking management to explain what they want is like looking at a deer in headlights. You've been here long enough to play the game, these new guys get stressed and make bad decisions based on expectations they can't control.

Jack Burton gets it. Drivers are expected to wear too many hats as is. Remember the "play law enforcement and catch human traffickers" thing? Also we are halfway turning into a one man furniture moving company, expected to do mechanics jobs (pure and post tripping), car washers, now pre-loaders.. I wouldn't deliver a misloaded or misplaced pkg period after my first year. Throw it on an air truck or car parked in yard screw it. Not my problem. People get paid to place stuff on the vehicle properly. Preload is not difficult. I've done that too. Good thing I got out of pkg before I got fired but I refuse to do one ounce of work caused by someone else effing up.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
union meetings are incredibly disorganized

if the Teamsters would drag themselves into the 21st century and implement electronic communication and voting, it would be a serious force