Part time Package Handler to full time driver

10YR 4/6

Hog Island (PHL) delivers in the suburbs. Oregon Ave delivers all of Philly. Some city routes are grueling and some suburban routes take forever to finish.

Since Covid, they’re all hard.

It delivers to the surrounding suburbs of Philadelphia, including Delaware & Montgomery counties.
Yeah if hog island hub might be a better choice than Oregon hub but the lady is saying a year wait to even put my name on the list while Oregon hub is saying it’s a lot faster. Kinda unsure of which one to go for to be honest!
Can ups drivers request to be transferred to another hub?

FedUPSer9816

Full Service
Yeah city drivers are the worse!
I didn't find the drivers too be too bad, but many other factors were. Parking always an issue, parking authority, tickets, boots, trucks towed, narrow one way streets, traffic, high rise office buildings, jockeying with other vendors for access, play streets, ignorant people, too many people, no safe place to release packages, scams, crime, safety, etc.

Yeah if hog island hub might be a better choice than Oregon hub but the lady is saying a year wait to even put my name on the list while Oregon hub is saying it’s a lot faster. Kinda unsure of which one to go for to be honest!
Can ups drivers request to be transferred to another hub?
There is saying good things come to those who wait. Your choice will depend on your immediate needs most likely. If you're in need of immediate or faster results, all though at a cost of being the lesser of the two, go for city. Or play the long game, wait for the suburbs, be better off. There have been drivers that transferred between places, though I believe that was under a bid process, which you wouldn't have the seniority for. So your choice would be your final answer for quite awhile.

I didn't find the drivers too be too bad, but many other factors were. Parking always an issue, parking authority, tickets, boots, trucks towed, narrow one way streets, traffic, high rise office buildings, jockeying with other vendors for access, play streets, ignorant people, too many people, no safe place to release packages, scams, crime, safety, etc.

There is saying good things come to those who wait. Your choice will depend on your immediate needs most likely. If you're in need of immediate or faster results, all though at a cost of being the lesser of the two, go for city. Or play the long game, wait for the suburbs, be better off. There have been drivers that transferred between places, though I believe that was under a bid process, which you wouldn't have the seniority for. So your choice would be your final answer for quite awhile.
Yeah I’d definitely would want to be in a better off location like the burbs but would want to see faster results too. I guess both has their pros and cons, just have to choose one. I live in south Philly so I know how it’s like driving in the streets. Also driving my parents Denali XL back when I was a teen might may be somewhat similar to driving a package car with wide turns haha. I think I’d only want to go to Oregon location because it might be a faster route to become a driver but it might not even be a guarantee. As well as it being literally 5 mins from me. Even though the airport hub is about 15-20 mins from me depending on traffic. It’s a hard decision! I definitely do see ups drivers emergency parked on side of the streets, getting honked at, etc in south Philly. I can’t even imagine what center city would be like lol

FedUPSer9816

Full Service
Yeah I’d definitely would want to be in a better off location like the burbs but would want to see faster results too. I guess both has their pros and cons, just have to choose one. I live in south Philly so I know how it’s like driving in the streets. Also driving my parents Denali XL back when I was a teen might may be somewhat similar to driving a package car with wide turns haha. I think I’d only want to go to Oregon location because it might be a faster route to become a driver but it might not even be a guarantee. As well as it being literally 5 mins from me. Even though the airport hub is about 15-20 mins from me depending on traffic. It’s a hard decision! I definitely do see ups drivers emergency parked on side of the streets, getting honked at, etc in south Philly. I can’t even imagine what center city would be like lol
I did 15 years in the city, suburbs are definitely better. I live closer to the airport so the choice was a no brainier for me. Driving a package car isn't like a Denali XL lol, more like driving a moving truck. There are no guarantees that you'll get the job at either location. But if you're set on trying as soon as possible, then perhaps Oregon Ave will be a better choice. Just be prepared to stay a while if you get in. The job is fun to me though, the managers are not. Good luck in whichever you decide.

I did 15 years in the city, suburbs are definitely better. I live closer to the airport so the choice was a no brainier for me. Driving a package car isn't like a Denali XL lol, more like driving a moving truck. There are no guarantees that you'll get the job at either location. But if you're set on trying as soon as possible, then perhaps Oregon Ave will be a better choice. Just be prepared to stay a while if you get in. The job is fun to me though, the managers are not. Good luck in whichever you decide.
Thank you again for your advice! I think I will go for the Oregon ave location if there’s a possibility of it being a faster route. For sure faster isn’t always the best but I feel like I need to have some financial stability at 26 (still pretty young but I feel like I’m old and should have my life together). I feel like I wouldn’t mind doing the job and may even be good at it! It’s not landscaping but I’m used to hard labor and quite enjoy the hands on work of it. Also I emailed and texted the lady at the airport hub location and she never got back to me...I think it’s because I was 10 minutes late to an appointment that I didn’t even know I was supposed to be on time for. She sent me an email saying some by Monday-Friday 7:30AM. I assumed that it was come in any day after that time. She gave me a whole spiel about being on time lol I’m like in my head, yeah I’m always 30 minutes early on time to somewhere I have to be.

FedUPSer9816

Full Service
Thank you again for your advice! I think I will go for the Oregon ave location if there’s a possibility of it being a faster route. For sure faster isn’t always the best but I feel like I need to have some financial stability at 26 (still pretty young but I feel like I’m old and should have my life together). I feel like I wouldn’t mind doing the job and may even be good at it! It’s not landscaping but I’m used to hard labor and quite enjoy the hands on work of it. Also I emailed and texted the lady at the airport hub location and she never got back to me...I think it’s because I was 10 minutes late to an appointment that I didn’t even know I was supposed to be on time for. She sent me an email saying some by Monday-Friday 7:30AM. I assumed that it was come in any day after that time. She gave me a whole spiel about being on time lol I’m like in my head, yeah I’m always 30 minutes early on time to somewhere I have to be.
No problem and good luck in your endeavors.

FedUPSer9816

Full Service
Sheesh that’s a hot minute! It makes sense though, can’t expect to make top rate right off the bat but getting $25+ a couple years in would be good money + OT.
It won't take that long if you get in. Progression is only 4 years, whether you're a 22.4 or RPCD. If hired, you'll be a 22.4. Top rate is only $5 less than a RCPD, but at like 35/hr, who's crying? The 15 years mentioned earlier is most likely that last 5 bucks if you were to move up to a RPCD. But the good thing about UPS is it operates under contract. I did 17 years with FedEx & never hit top rate, 4 years ain't sheet to me lol, especially when I surpassed my former salary after just 2 years here.

It won't take that long if you get in. Progression is only 4 years, whether you're a 22.4 or RPCD. If hired, you'll be a 22.4. Top rate is only $5 less than a RCPD, but at like 35/hr, who's crying? The 15 years mentioned earlier is most likely that last 5 bucks if you were to move up to a RPCD. But the good thing about UPS is it operates under contract. I did 17 years with FedEx & never hit top rate, 4 years ain't sheet to me lol, especially when I surpassed my former salary after just 2 years here.
It's about $6 an hour difference. Or about $15,000 or so less a year...