Part timer planning on voting yes: Change my mind.

MostHelpNeeded

OP:You need to work 7 days a week to get by, but you'd vote yes for an immediate $1.50/hr raise so you can drop your other job? You need to work every day but $20/wk would fix all that? I don't get it lol

Tony Q

You mean pork the part timer again, damn they don't make enough already. Stealing from their meager pension benefits to boast the GWI in order to pass this contract is just another fine example of cut and run to save the privileged few.
I'm for keeping it the way it is in the new contract but some here want a 1.20 raise a year. So I was offering a solution to make a compromise.

Superteeth2478

Anyone forget to mention part-timers have the option to decline the hybrid driver position? When you apply to to become a TCD or Full-time driver you fill an application then when ur number is up hr calls u and you accept or decline.

Part-timers simply can wait for a regular full time position to open up.
Because they're totally going to make tons of those when they can just create combination positions instead. The only time they'll "make" an RPCD position is when one is vacated through retirement or termination.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I am a package handler and honestly have little interest currently in becoming a driver. So what concerns me is the raise, not touching the current benefits, and the spread of automation which is a pretty scary reality to me.
If you think the contract is good then vote yes.... that is your choice, and right... I praise you for being a part timer and actually just voting because 80% of your fellow workers in the hub won’t....

SayWhat

Anyone forget to mention part-timers have the option to decline the hybrid driver position? When you apply to to become a TCD or Full-time driver you fill an application then when ur number is up hr calls u and you accept or decline.

Part-timers simply can wait for a regular full time position to open up

Part-timers simply can wait for a regular full time position to open up
Those jobs will go to 22.4 drivers first, right?
22.2 and 22.4 are a sad perversion of the 22.3 classification. The 22.3 option has never been fully enforced or exhausted. Many part-timers do not want to drive or are unable to.
He!!, we won a court case to enforce 22.3 language in (97/98). Since then, our leaders have surrendered, conceded and backed down in every contract since our victory. 22.4 is just the latest betrayal. Remember, as far as I can find, the combo struggle started in 1993 and here we are!
If you read the contract language, discussions and arguments in the beginning starting in 1993, combo jobs were created for part-timers. In most places now, part-timers can not even bid on a 22.3 job. 22.3 has been usurped (waited for years to be able use that word) and given to drivers coasting into retirement by our union leaders, understanding that PT members although a larger voting block, do not vote their advantage.
That is why part-timers are screwed contact after contact after contract..........
How many 22.3 jobs have been created since 1993? Does anyone know the total?
How many 22.2?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Say What ???

You have some facts wrong.

22.2 and 22.4 are a sad perversion of the 22.3 classification.

22.2 jobs are the original full-time inside jobs, and are the highest paying.

we won a court case to enforce 22.3 language in (97/98).

The case was settled in arbitration in 2001. (thanks to Hoffa)

People that won a bid on the new 22.3 jobs, were awarded backpay and back dated

seniority dates to the year 2000 (?).

Remember, as far as I can find, the combo struggle started in 1993 and here we are!

Almost.

The "real" 22.3 combo language didn't start until 1997. Although, there was language for

for creating 500 new full-time jobs from existing work (and could be combo jobs) they

were only available in job descriptions such as clerks, carwash, porters, and shifters.

In most places now, part-timers can not even bid on a 22.3 job.

Part-timers can bid on "newly created" 22.3 jobs.... and part-timers only.

22.3 has been usurped (waited for years to be able use that word) and given to drivers coasting into retirement by our union leaders, understanding that PT members although a larger voting block, do not vote their advantage.

That's not true at all.

When an existing 22.3 job becomes available, it should be bid within the classification first,

and if not filled, offered to any other full-time employee.

The Union is not giving people retirement jobs. They bid the job and won it.

How many 22.3 jobs have been created since 1993? Does anyone know the total? How many 22.2?

The Union and the company know.

-Bug-

Brohn Bron

When you use the word "whine" and post other condemning remarks about drivers that are probably way older and more vested in this company than you you've just lost my attention for disrespecting long time ups employees who are actually looking out for your and thousands of other part time workers futures.

You're either an arrogant 18 month employee or a troll.

But you do whine and moan. Your respect isn’t needed. Great, keep it. Many on here think they are heroes trying to look out for the younger generations, that’s false and bs. If it was so important, where were you when they made driver progression 4 years from 2 and 1?? OP made a valid point regarding working OT. The union listened to its members and offered a crap solution that sold our OT to the youngsters. Now you all cry. Thanks for selling out my hours and then complaining about it.

M

MenInBrown

But you do whine and moan. Your respect isn’t needed. Great, keep it. Many on here think they are heroes trying to look out for the younger generations, that’s false and bs. If it was so important, where were you when they made driver progression 4 years from 2 and 1?? OP made a valid point regarding working OT. The union listened to its members and offered a crap solution that sold our OT to the youngsters. Now you all cry. Thanks for selling out my hours and then complaining about it.

Wrong and ignorant. I have yet to vote yes on a contract. If it continues to not benefit all, I will continue to VOTE NO. Get your facts straight, and you can call me HERO!

mikejonesjr

Didn't drivers ask to stop the ridiculous 70 hour work weeks. So you think complaining about that means you shouldn't complain when the company's solution is to create a new lower payed driver with no protections that makes it harder to become a regular driver now, and after all that it doesn't even take away the fact a current driver can still work 70 hours? And screwing part timers at the same time. Your delusional.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Once again I wish they were in there. Maybe if you vote this down they can take some money from somewhere else and put it there.
Maybe they should have taken it out of the 1 billion a year in tax breaks. Btw, still waiting on your election math Mrs all talk no action.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Didn't drivers ask to stop the ridiculous 70 hour work weeks. So you think complaining about that means you shouldn't complain when the company's solution is to create a new lower payed driver with no protections that makes it harder to become a regular driver now, and after all that it doesn't even take away the fact a current driver can still work 70 hours? And screwing part timers at the same time. Your delusional.

Do you want to eventually be a RPCD ?