Part-Timers in My Building are Clueless

KOG72

I’m full of it
That's pretty much how it is here, as well. When I was hired just over 3 years ago, I spent a week in a classroom ("Cornerstone" training), then another week working one-on-one with a trainer on the floor.

New hires are definitely not coming out to the floor with the same knowledge I had when I was hired. They don't know about egress or how to secure a belt, and I don't think they even know the 5 keys for slips and falls or the 8 keys to lifting and lowering. They just start working, basically.
Just throw them in the fire

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
It's often been said around here that part-timers get left with the scraps when it comes to contract negotiations. It's easy to see why based on the questions and comments I receive from coworkers on the night sort.

Most of the people I've spoken with are completely ignorant of the process of negotiation and even voting. In fact, it seems the only reason they want to discuss the contract at all is to find out when they should be expecting their back pay check that so-and-so told them about.

Don't get me wrong, I fully support higher wages for part-time employees. We are well overdue for a raise. But it's frustrating to see so much apathy from my coworkers on an issue that will directly affect their lives.

Who is at fault? How can we/the union get part-timers involved and invested in the process?
@IVE GOTTA PACKAGE 4U is at fault, the part time supervisors get him in the shower at the ups facility

PT 4 Life

Most-Hated Member
Most part timers that been here awhile just use the benefits like myself. Working inside for 8 hours doesn’t seem appealing unless you got a easy position like overgoods or clerk.

@IVE GOTTA PACKAGE 4U is at fault, the part time supervisors get him in the shower at the ups facility
thread-revive-discord.gif

Most part timers that been here awhile just use the benefits like myself. Working inside for 8 hours doesn’t seem appealing unless you got a easy position like overgoods or clerk.
Especially when you have an 1 1/2 hour break between jobs. Close to 10 hours out of your day for an 8 hour paycheck.

PT 4 Life

Most-Hated Member
We just had a bunch of new 22.3 jobs posted a couple months ago. Yet the PT air drivers instead of taking one would rather complain about not getting enough hours driving.
I’ve never seen one actually posted for my hub. They only get posted for a certain hub that nobody wants to go to.

I’ve never seen one actually posted for my hub. They only get posted for a certain hub that nobody wants to go to.
Most of the ones taking 22.3 jobs have only worked at UPS for less then a year. I tell them in 4 years they will be earning $80k/yr. Most would never have been able to make that much at any other job they would qualified for.

PT 4 Life

Most-Hated Member
Most of the ones taking 22.3 jobs have only worked at UPS for less then a year. I tell them in 4 years they will be earning $80k/yr. Most would never have been able to make that much at any other job they would qualified for.

That’s crazy only a year? It’s not like that here. You’ll be waiting a long time for one.