Part tiners p1s ft p2s and pickups

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
If we go strictly overnight, the sort will end sooner, part-timers could go run P1, come back to hand off trucks to fulltimers for SO(or EO) plus pups and working the reload. Extended rts could also start later with only next day to deliver. They could tweak it to get people close to 40 but with no OT. Of course this is all speculation. You have to wonder why they got rid of split pay, but forcing fulltimers to take long breaks to just get 35-37 hrs a week would probably turn into a PR nightmare for them. The above with PTers starting early was told to me by a mgr recently, and it's an idea I was hearing several years ago. Makes me believe this is a more likely scenario and people shouldn't get too hyped up about the doomsaying. Going to hurt without OT, and pay progression needs to be speeded up. But the idea that soccer moms in minivans are going to handle Express freight and we're all going to get pink slips is just a trollish fantasy put forth by a Ground guy with a chip on his shoulder who gets his jollies trying to panic Express employees. Same goes for trying to scare people into signing union cards. We do need a union, but that ship has sailed. We aren't going to have a well paid career at FedEx, at least not those in mid-range. But it beats working 2 $9hr jobs 80 hrs a week to get by or having only one job that pays $11hr or less. If you are capable enough get training for something better. But hang on to this job until you get a solid job well documented as well paying. A lot of companies, including FedEx, will tell you anything to get you onboard. Take it from someone who jumped ship only to find the promise of high pay was B.S.. Of course, I had much more to lose as a former topped out employee than a current mid-range employee does, but even FedEx will look pretty good when you are making much less at Walmart.

I think there's a lot of truth to the "soccer mom" analogy. FedEx is completely convinced that DR is going to allow them to install anyone behind the wheel. The problem is, that "anyone" cannot do this job, which is what they're going to find out the hard way.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I think there's a lot of truth to the "soccer mom" analogy. FedEx is completely convinced that DR is going to allow them to install anyone behind the wheel. The problem is, that "anyone" cannot do this job, which is what they're going to find out the hard way.
Oh, absolutely. But try telling any of the know-it-alls that and it's a lost cause. DR replacing common sense and route knowledge? Not even close. But just wait, we'll be proven right.

vantexan

Oh, absolutely. But try telling any of the know-it-alls that and it's a lost cause. DR replacing common sense and route knowledge? Not even close. But just wait, we'll be proven right.

But are they doing it to make it easier to hire people, or are they doing it to get rid of everyone making over a certain amount? I can certainly see why some think of FedEx in the extreme, but is the extreme really what they are planning? I think the goal is to eliminate as much OT as possible and they may push us down close to 35 hrs. But if they get rid of tens of thousands who would work for them? You'd have to know it's just a matter of time until they'd get rid of you too. Plus they'd probably have huge lawsuits and all that media scrutiny we wish there was now. I'm working at a station where they'd been getting great OT for many years. I'm the new 4X10 cover driver. The company has finally gotten serious about controlling OT here and quite a few are upset about it. One told me he figured to lose at least $800 a month in take home. And they are pretty much unaware of what's coming. The company will have plenty of disgruntled employees to deal with without going to the draconian measures some of you are suggesting. You may ultimately be right, but let's wait and see. All we can do at this point.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
But are they doing it to make it easier to hire people, or are they doing it to get rid of everyone making over a certain amount? I can certainly see why some think of FedEx in the extreme, but is the extreme really what they are planning? I think the goal is to eliminate as much OT as possible and they may push us down close to 35 hrs. But if they get rid of tens of thousands who would work for them? You'd have to know it's just a matter of time until they'd get rid of you too.
Well they wouldn't get rid of all the experienced help overnight. That'd be a recipe for a huge disater. But eventually yes. But the old saying goes you get what you pay for and Smith is gonna be no exception to the rule.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Well they wouldn't get rid of all the experienced help overnight. That'd be a recipe for a huge disater. But eventually yes. But the old saying goes you get what you pay for and Smith is gonna be no exception to the rule.

Yep. I think it's going to blow-up in their face, and I'm going to enjoy the show as I pour gas on the fire.

Ricochet1a

Boy... what a lot of denial going on around here.

1. Sorts.... There can't be any sending out of an entire station's routes with just P1.

First off, no trucks (other than FO - which have their volume segregated for a REASON...) can leave the buildings till EVERYTHING has been sorted. The reason for this is due to the ramps placing intra-market P1 into their cans during the evening sorts. This means that there are pieces of P1 intermixed with 2nd day volume that the inbound ramps sort out in the evenings. This requires that the stations sort EVERYTHING in the AM, in order to make sure all overnight volume is into the trucks and out for delivery on time.

Secondly, there isn't enough part-time Couriers (currently...) to run a full AM sort. This means that a full AM crew is required to get everything sorted (all full-timers currently along with some part-timers), into the trucks and Couriers onto the road to get P1 to make commitment.

A bunch of wishful thinking and denial going on out there - "Oh, we won't get shafted with split shifts, they'll just put the part-timers running P1 and have the full-timers run P2 and pick-ups routes".... Get real.

Having part-timers run pickup routes gives the stations the FLEXIBILITY to have full-timers stay out delivering P2 if it is heavy, then switch to get overflow pickups... If the part-timers were all in the AM, they'd be off the clock and home if the sheet hit the fan in the PM - and stations would have trucks departing even LATER, along with freight that was taken out for delivery not attempted (SERVICE FAILURES galore).

The way the system is set up, full-timers finishing their routes can be assigned pickups to ensure that trucks leaving for the ramps do so on time. If full-timers don't come in to work till 10:30 (supposedly when the P1 routes are returning...) if P2 is heavy and then there are a boat load of oncall pickups that day - the station is SCREWED. They won't be able to get off all deliveries in time to ensure that all pickups will be completed and returned to the stations on time.

By having full-timers do split shifts, Express gets the flexibility to get all freight delivered, Couriers on unpaid break when they're done, then have Couriers available to start pickups early if the need arises. The whole game is to give Express MAXIMUM flexibility while giving the Couriers the shaft (on unpaid breaks waiting to start working again).

If you are going to see anything change (along with all the prevously mentioned upcoming changes), I'd anticipate a change in how the Powerpads lock out when a break is entered... I'd imagine that they'd enable a method of having dispatch being able to get a message though to the Powerpad, telling the Courier to terminate their break and get back "on-road", if things got a bit tight in the pickup realm. Maximum flexibility for Express, maximum shaft for the Couriers...

If you are all going to speculate, at least have the foresight to think through the flow of operations that would occur as a result of your speculation - then stop speculating about stuff which you have no real knowledge about.

What is going on, is Senior managers are running their mouths off regarding the issues engineering are having with getting DRA perfected (wrote before on this). In order to simplify DRA, they want to have separate route numbers do P1 and everything else. They are fixing the issues with DRA (I've seen some of the corrections, they are making REAL progress). They will get DRA perfected, it is coming and there is no stopping it.

2. Split shifts causing "PR nightmare for Express".

Oh get real. Who in the hell is going to care that Couriers are going to be forced to take 2-3 hour split shifts. Oh yes, there will be a public outcry, "The Couriers of Express are getting screwed, Congress.... do SOMETHING!!!". Here's a reality check for you - the public doesn't give a damn about your work hours. Congress doesn't give a damn, no one gives a damn. As long as DOT requirements are meet, NO ONE CARES about your work hours.

Fred is standing by the door, "If you don't like it, you can quit."

3. Scaring people into signing union cards....

My Gawd, signing a union card is a VERY SCARY thing.... No, what is scary is working for Express without union representation.

The delusional thinking going on (all in an effort to convince oneself to NOT sign union cards) is past ridiculous at this point.

4. BBsam's "panicking Express employees..."

I would have to guess that for those who are in amongst the forest (still working as Couriers), BBsam's comments may be interpreted as being "panic inducing". I view them as being both a bit funny and a veiled kick in the butt to the Express Couriers.

BBsam is a Ground mercenary, he'd like to eat your lunch and makes no bones about it. However, Express isn't going to a contractor model, for the simple reason that contractors CANNOT be forced to work flexible hours like Express employees are and will be expected to.

5. Need a union but "that ship has sailed"...

Grab your ankles firmly....

More excuse making - since signing union cards is so damn SCARY!!

Not signing a union card is IDIOTIC if one is stuck in Express.

People, here is some informed speculation on my part. The IBT has given up on Express (no speculation there). However, if, if the IBT were to receive a few thousand signed union representation cards in a relatively short period of time, they MIGHT reconsider their position on Express and they might just get some IBT reps to stand outside of Express stations (they know were the stations are, trust me), and start handing out cards and literature.

But with Express Couriers engaging in making excuses, wishful thinking and doing everything BUT signing union cards, do you blame them one bit for not wasting their resources on having people standing outside Express stations handing out literature?

If sticking your head in the sand and coming up with fanciful visions regarding what is going on above ground helps you out, then do so.

If for whatever reason you are stuck in Express and choose not to live with your head stuck in the sand, then you'd better start dealing with the impending reality and do something about it.

Denying that DRA will work, that you won't be forced into taking splits after Express is transformed, that you'll get pay progression in the coming years.... if this all reduces your stress level now - then have at it. But don't go crying a couple of years from now when you are running a DRA route, forced to take a split to maintain full-time status, and stuck with no pay progression and health insurance that keeps on getting more and more expensive while offering less and less coverage.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I don't think anyone is denying DRA will work, just that it isn't going to be as perfect as FedEx thinks it will be. And I do blame the Teamsters for failing to stand outside stations and gather signatures. Yes, there is a lot of denial happening, and a lot of Kool-Aid is still being consumed, but there are tons of employees ready to sign the cards. My guess is that 75% of my station would sign a card right now...but where is the IBT? I've called my local Teamsters office too, told them what's going on, and got the same line you've been getting R1a..."off the radar".

Make no mistake. There is no avoiding the screwing other than to organize. I'd like to see us fight back by messing-up the operation, but that's only temporary, and not a long-term solution.Huge hours cuts are coming, and many of you are already experiencing them. If you haven't yet, they are on the way. DRA will be a big part of that in the future, and we need to realize that it will be "successful" enough for Fred's purposes, which is to slash our hours. When I write of customers being lost and angry, this has already been figured into the calculation. Express knows employees are pissed and that customer service is suffering. They are more than willing to sacrifice both to achieve the overall goal.

vantexan

Boy... what a lot of denial going on around here.

1. Sorts.... There can't be any sending out of an entire station's routes with just P1.

First off, no trucks (other than FO - which have their volume segregated for a REASON...) can leave the buildings till EVERYTHING has been sorted. The reason for this is due to the ramps placing intra-market P1 into their cans during the evening sorts. This means that there are pieces of P1 intermixed with 2nd day volume that the inbound ramps sort out in the evenings. This requires that the stations sort EVERYTHING in the AM, in order to make sure all overnight volume is into the trucks and out for delivery on time.

Secondly, there isn't enough part-time Couriers (currently...) to run a full AM sort. This means that a full AM crew is required to get everything sorted (all full-timers currently along with some part-timers), into the trucks and Couriers onto the road to get P1 to make commitment.

A bunch of wishful thinking and denial going on out there - "Oh, we won't get shafted with split shifts, they'll just put the part-timers running P1 and have the full-timers run P2 and pick-ups routes".... Get real.

Having part-timers run pickup routes gives the stations the FLEXIBILITY to have full-timers stay out delivering P2 if it is heavy, then switch to get overflow pickups... If the part-timers were all in the AM, they'd be off the clock and home if the sheet hit the fan in the PM - and stations would have trucks departing even LATER, along with freight that was taken out for delivery not attempted (SERVICE FAILURES galore).

The way the system is set up, full-timers finishing their routes can be assigned pickups to ensure that trucks leaving for the ramps do so on time. If full-timers don't come in to work till 10:30 (supposedly when the P1 routes are returning...) if P2 is heavy and then there are a boat load of oncall pickups that day - the station is SCREWED. They won't be able to get off all deliveries in time to ensure that all pickups will be completed and returned to the stations on time.

By having full-timers do split shifts, Express gets the flexibility to get all freight delivered, Couriers on unpaid break when they're done, then have Couriers available to start pickups early if the need arises. The whole game is to give Express MAXIMUM flexibility while giving the Couriers the shaft (on unpaid breaks waiting to start working again).

If you are going to see anything change (along with all the prevously mentioned upcoming changes), I'd anticipate a change in how the Powerpads lock out when a break is entered... I'd imagine that they'd enable a method of having dispatch being able to get a message though to the Powerpad, telling the Courier to terminate their break and get back "on-road", if things got a bit tight in the pickup realm. Maximum flexibility for Express, maximum shaft for the Couriers...

If you are all going to speculate, at least have the foresight to think through the flow of operations that would occur as a result of your speculation - then stop speculating about stuff which you have no real knowledge about.

What is going on, is Senior managers are running their mouths off regarding the issues engineering are having with getting DRA perfected (wrote before on this). In order to simplify DRA, they want to have separate route numbers do P1 and everything else. They are fixing the issues with DRA (I've seen some of the corrections, they are making REAL progress). They will get DRA perfected, it is coming and there is no stopping it.

2. Split shifts causing "PR nightmare for Express".

Oh get real. Who in the hell is going to care that Couriers are going to be forced to take 2-3 hour split shifts. Oh yes, there will be a public outcry, "The Couriers of Express are getting screwed, Congress.... do SOMETHING!!!". Here's a reality check for you - the public doesn't give a damn about your work hours. Congress doesn't give a damn, no one gives a damn. As long as DOT requirements are meet, NO ONE CARES about your work hours.

Fred is standing by the door, "If you don't like it, you can quit."

3. Scaring people into signing union cards....

My Gawd, signing a union card is a VERY SCARY thing.... No, what is scary is working for Express without union representation.

The delusional thinking going on (all in an effort to convince oneself to NOT sign union cards) is past ridiculous at this point.

4. BBsam's "panicking Express employees..."

I would have to guess that for those who are in amongst the forest (still working as Couriers), BBsam's comments may be interpreted as being "panic inducing". I view them as being both a bit funny and a veiled kick in the butt to the Express Couriers.

BBsam is a Ground mercenary, he'd like to eat your lunch and makes no bones about it. However, Express isn't going to a contractor model, for the simple reason that contractors CANNOT be forced to work flexible hours like Express employees are and will be expected to.

5. Need a union but "that ship has sailed"...

Grab your ankles firmly....

More excuse making - since signing union cards is so damn SCARY!!

Not signing a union card is IDIOTIC if one is stuck in Express.

People, here is some informed speculation on my part. The IBT has given up on Express (no speculation there). However, if, if the IBT were to receive a few thousand signed union representation cards in a relatively short period of time, they MIGHT reconsider their position on Express and they might just get some IBT reps to stand outside of Express stations (they know were the stations are, trust me), and start handing out cards and literature.

But with Express Couriers engaging in making excuses, wishful thinking and doing everything BUT signing union cards, do you blame them one bit for not wasting their resources on having people standing outside Express stations handing out literature?

If sticking your head in the sand and coming up with fanciful visions regarding what is going on above ground helps you out, then do so.

If for whatever reason you are stuck in Express and choose not to live with your head stuck in the sand, then you'd better start dealing with the impending reality and do something about it.

Denying that DRA will work, that you won't be forced into taking splits after Express is transformed, that you'll get pay progression in the coming years.... if this all reduces your stress level now - then have at it. But don't go crying a couple of years from now when you are running a DRA route, forced to take a split to maintain full-time status, and stuck with no pay progression and health insurance that keeps on getting more and more expensive while offering less and less coverage.

What I'm saying is that if they send enough freight over to Ground then the FTers could do remaining P2 plus pups. Since there would be less freight to sort the PTers PLUS some extended area FTers that must launch earlier could run the sort and get it done.

And yes, it would be a PR nightmare. Who'd want to work for FedEx if made to stay all day with a long break for 35-37 hrs? Oh, right, it would force out FTers to replace them with PTers. But most PTers are looking for FT work. It would be bad public relations, not to mention it could get the scrutiny of oversight boards who determine if we are to be under the RLA or not. Yeah, have a field day with that one but you know if FedEx starts abusing the privilege then they could lose it.

I think the goal is to get us close to 40 without OT, and taking away some of our volume will do it. I realize this doesn't fall in line with your apocalyptic vision, but it's, as I said, speculation. And you may be right for all I know but you are so asinine about it that I'll put forth that when the dust settles it won't be nearly as SCARY as you make it out to be. It will be tough enough making a living with no OT and slow pay progression, but getting rid of us in favor of soccer moms in minivans is just silly. Designed to get us to sign those cards because, after all, you have absolutely no dog in this fight. You aren't a union shill sent to push signing cards. You aren't trying to hurt FedEx by getting us to quit if you can't get a union in. No sirree, you do everything for purely altruistic reasons. And yep, that ship has sailed. If the IBT won't stick their necks out, and employees won't stick their's out either, stalemate. And in case you haven't noticed THEY are the huge organization, I'm one courier expressing an opinion. I have no influence on what our workforce does. If THEY are discouraged by the opinions of one courier then there was never a sincere, good faith effort to organize us. But we must all goose step together, eh comrade?

Ricochet1a

And yes, it would be a PR nightmare. Who'd want to work for FedEx if made to stay all day with a long break for 35-37 hrs? Oh, right, it would force out FTers to replace them with PTers. But most PTers are looking for FT work. It would be bad public relations, not to mention it could get the scrutiny of oversight boards who determine if we are to be under the RLA or not. Yeah, have a field day with that one but you know if FedEx starts abusing the privilege then they could lose it.

A PR nightmare... you are so deluded about your real importance in regards to your employer, you are beyond help.

Look at Ground. If there was going to be a "PR nightmare" for FedEx, it would've involved how the real Ground drivers are getting paid.

Let's listen to the public outcry regarding what is going on in Ground right now why don't we?

Didn't hear anything.... how about you.

The ONLY PR Nightmare that FedEx had to worry about was the "monitor toss over the fence" right before last Christmas. THAT WAS a PR nightmare for FedEx. What you get paid and how your work schedule is done is of NO CONCERN to the public. As long as DOT requirements are met, there is no one that cares about you.

Get it??

As far as FedEx not getting people who are willing to work with an unpaid split....

Let's hear it from the Ground drivers... how many of you would be willing to put in a 10-11 hour day, get paid for 7-8 (35-38 hours paid), get about $600 a week pre-tax ALONG WITH health insurance, 2 weeks paid vacation, a 401k worth 3.5% of your base and an Express "retirement" plan that kicked in 5% of your wages? Oh, forgot to mention the fact that your volume will be considerably lighter (lots of FedEx boxes and documents) with far fewer pieces over 40 pounds.

There is a ready pool of Ground drivers that would JUMP at the opportunity to have your job - AND WOULDN'T COMPLAIN ABOUT IT.

GROW UP. You are not that important, and if Fred ever needed to replace you (even after the transformation), he's got a ready supply of experienced drivers who are already familiar with FedEx operating procedures - who'd LOVE to work at Express starting wages - even knowing there isn't going to be any progression.

As far as the RLA, it has NOTHING to do with how hours are worked - it is all about Congress granting the status to companies who they deem are "express carriers".

Designed to get us to sign those cards because, after all, you have absolutely no dog in this fight. You aren't a union shill sent to push signing cards. You aren't trying to hurt FedEx by getting us to quit if you can't get a union in. No sirree, you do everything for purely altruistic reasons.

Ah yes, everyone here talks about how great and wonderful things would be IF Express were unionized, but then when it comes to actually accomplishing that goal - every excuse and accusation one can imagine is thown out to make oneself feel better about NOT signing union cards.

You've shown your colors. You feel you were screwed over because you trusted in Fred - but God forbid if others aren't as trusting as you were, and did something to prevent becoming what you are today.

"You are trying to hurt FedEx".... Terminal case of Stockholm Syndrome going on here. One one hand you are screaming that you are getting screwed, but then you are deathly afraid that your beloved FedEx might be harmed in some manner if the employees DID get the collective balls to finally organize and not be perpetually bent over.

And yes, my posting here is purely altrustic. Yours is a combination of misery seeking company (trying to validate your own failures and insecurity by trying to get your twisted speculation and fears out into the public), along with your inate confusion regarding just exactly where you are in this world.

Newsflash, you aren't a "capitalist" - you are labor. The best interest of labor isn't in spewing classical economic theory, but rather recognizing that classical economic models result in labor getting progressively "screwed" the longer and longer they don't act on correcting the inequity that always results when classical economic models go without check. That "check" can be done in two ways: governmental regulation... and when that isn't enough, organized labor.

And yep, that ship has sailed. If the IBT won't stick their necks out, and employees won't stick their's out either, stalemate.

Ah yes, the "I'm not going to make any effort to save myself, the lifeboat is going to have to come all the way out to where I'm at without my making any effort whatsoever", justification for not doing anything (but screaming for help all the while).

In survival situations, there are people who won't do a damn thing to save themselves. They'll sit down and expect help to come to them. These are the people who in a true survival situation, DIE. You are already dead - you just won't admit it. There are others who do have some sliver of hope to get out of the situation. I frankly don't give a damn about those who aren't willing to do anything to save themselves (you foremost among them). For those who need some encouragement to get off their butts and start moving, I still have hope.

And in case you haven't noticed THEY are the huge organization, I'm one courier expressing an opinion. I have no influence on what our workforce does. If THEY are discouraged by the opinions of one courier then there was never a sincere, good faith effort to organize us. But we must all goose step together, eh comrade?

They are a large organization, but they do have limited financial means - especially when it comes to fighting for a group of employees who haven't shown ANY real sign of wanting to save themselves - namely, YOU and those that will make excuses in not organizing.

It is people like YOU, that make the IBT feel it would be a complete waste of their resources to even attempt an organizing drive. You will continue to make every excuse you can to not sign a union card - your entire life has been an neverending excuse it seems. There are NO EXCUSES for those who work as Couriers to not organize (oh, you'll come up with some excuses if need be).

For those Express Couriers who haven't given up, don't make excuses like this terminally confused, self-loathing, wanna be capitalist does. You have ONE hope, that is to start a grassroots organizing effort, get those cards in and maybe the IBT will see there is some "life" out there and make a decision to put some resources into Express. You've got to be willing to save yourself, BEFORE the IBT will put any effort into helping convince others they can be saved from Fred.

If you aren't willing to put in the effort yourself (you read this forum, you might as well put some time into handing out representation cards and getting your coworkers to realize they DO have an alternative to Vantexan's "bendover and scream loudly" approach to life) then there isn't any hope for you. You've got to be willing to get those cards in and get your coworkers to do the same.

If not, then don't look for sympathy from the public. Oh, Vantexan is thinking that public outcry will save the day. That is merely a fanciful vision that occurred during one of his head in the sand moments. The public doesn't give a damn about your wages or work schedule, all they care about is if their package arrives on time and undamaged. Your pay and working conditions are something that YOU will have to fight for, don't think for a minute that the public is going to get all concerned about YOUR work conditions - they have their own problems to worry about, forget about the issues of some Couriers who think they have more importance in this world than they really do.

By the way, your employer owes you NOTHING for all the work you have done for them - don't keep on thinking that you are owed something (entitlement mentality in a "conservative" it seems... how hypocritical). You are only as good as your last stop and the score is settled up at the end of each paycycle. The only way to get what you are really worth to your employer is to organize - there is no other option.

Leave, bendover or organize.

All those who are looking for the best way to bendover and scream about it - follow Vantexan's lead.

Everyone else, better start looking at one of the other two remaining options out there...

vantexan

A PR nightmare... you are so deluded about your real importance in regards to your employer, you are beyond help.

Look at Ground. If there was going to be a "PR nightmare" for FedEx, it would've involved how the real Ground drivers are getting paid.

Let's listen to the public outcry regarding what is going on in Ground right now why don't we?

Didn't hear anything.... how about you.

The ONLY PR Nightmare that FedEx had to worry about was the "monitor toss over the fence" right before last Christmas. THAT WAS a PR nightmare for FedEx. What you get paid and how your work schedule is done is of NO CONCERN to the public. As long as DOT requirements are met, there is no one that cares about you.

Get it??

As far as FedEx not getting people who are willing to work with an unpaid split....

Let's hear it from the Ground drivers... how many of you would be willing to put in a 10-11 hour day, get paid for 7-8 (35-38 hours paid), get about $600 a week pre-tax ALONG WITH health insurance, 2 weeks paid vacation, a 401k worth 3.5% of your base and an Express "retirement" plan that kicked in 5% of your wages? Oh, forgot to mention the fact that your volume will be considerably lighter (lots of FedEx boxes and documents) with far fewer pieces over 40 pounds.

There is a ready pool of Ground drivers that would JUMP at the opportunity to have your job - AND WOULDN'T COMPLAIN ABOUT IT.

GROW UP. You are not that important, and if Fred ever needed to replace you (even after the transformation), he's got a ready supply of experienced drivers who are already familiar with FedEx operating procedures - who'd LOVE to work at Express starting wages - even knowing there isn't going to be any progression.

As far as the RLA, it has NOTHING to do with how hours are worked - it is all about Congress granting the status to companies who they deem are "express carriers".

Ah yes, everyone here talks about how great and wonderful things would be IF Express were unionized, but then when it comes to actually accomplishing that goal - every excuse and accusation one can imagine is thown out to make oneself feel better about NOT signing union cards.

You've shown your colors. You feel you were screwed over because you trusted in Fred - but God forbid if others aren't as trusting as you were, and did something to prevent becoming what you are today.

"You are trying to hurt FedEx".... Terminal case of Stockholm Syndrome going on here. One one hand you are screaming that you are getting screwed, but then you are deathly afraid that your beloved FedEx might be harmed in some manner if the employees DID get the collective balls to finally organize and not be perpetually bent over.

And yes, my posting here is purely altrustic. Yours is a combination of misery seeking company (trying to validate your own failures and insecurity by trying to get your twisted speculation and fears out into the public), along with your inate confusion regarding just exactly where you are in this world.

Newsflash, you aren't a "capitalist" - you are labor. The best interest of labor isn't in spewing classical economic theory, but rather recognizing that classical economic models result in labor getting progressively "screwed" the longer and longer they don't act on correcting the inequity that always results when classical economic models go without check. That "check" can be done in two ways: governmental regulation... and when that isn't enough, organized labor.

Ah yes, the "I'm not going to make any effort to save myself, the lifeboat is going to have to come all the way out to where I'm at without my making any effort whatsoever", justification for not doing anything (but screaming for help all the while).

In survival situations, there are people who won't do a damn thing to save themselves. They'll sit down and expect help to come to them. These are the people who in a true survival situation, DIE. You are already dead - you just won't admit it. There are others who do have some sliver of hope to get out of the situation. I frankly don't give a damn about those who aren't willing to do anything to save themselves (you foremost among them). For those who need some encouragement to get off their butts and start moving, I still have hope.

They are a large organization, but they do have limited financial means - especially when it comes to fighting for a group of employees who haven't shown ANY real sign of wanting to save themselves - namely, YOU and those that will make excuses in not organizing.

It is people like YOU, that make the IBT feel it would be a complete waste of their resources to even attempt an organizing drive. You will continue to make every excuse you can to not sign a union card - your entire life has been an neverending excuse it seems. There are NO EXCUSES for those who work as Couriers to not organize (oh, you'll come up with some excuses if need be).

For those Express Couriers who haven't given up, don't make excuses like this terminally confused, self-loathing, wanna be capitalist does. You have ONE hope, that is to start a grassroots organizing effort, get those cards in and maybe the IBT will see there is some "life" out there and make a decision to put some resources into Express. You've got to be willing to save yourself, BEFORE the IBT will put any effort into helping convince others they can be saved from Fred.

If you aren't willing to put in the effort yourself (you read this forum, you might as well put some time into handing out representation cards and getting your coworkers to realize they DO have an alternative to Vantexan's "bendover and scream loudly" approach to life) then there isn't any hope for you. You've got to be willing to get those cards in and get your coworkers to do the same.

If not, then don't look for sympathy from the public. Oh, Vantexan is thinking that public outcry will save the day. That is merely a fanciful vision that occurred during one of his head in the sand moments. The public doesn't give a damn about your wages or work schedule, all they care about is if their package arrives on time and undamaged. Your pay and working conditions are something that YOU will have to fight for, don't think for a minute that the public is going to get all concerned about YOUR work conditions - they have their own problems to worry about, forget about the issues of some Couriers who think they have more importance in this world than they really do.

By the way, your employer owes you NOTHING for all the work you have done for them - don't keep on thinking that you are owed something (entitlement mentality in a "conservative" it seems... how hypocritical). You are only as good as your last stop and the score is settled up at the end of each paycycle. The only way to get what you are really worth to your employer is to organize - there is no other option.

Leave, bendover or organize.

All those who are looking for the best way to bendover and scream about it - follow Vantexan's lead.

Everyone else, better start looking at one of the other two remaining options out there...

Shill. :rofl:

Geez what a fragile ego. Why does it bother you so much that anyone would disagree with you? I agree with you that serious things are about to happen. But I don't care for the scare tactics. Or the twisting of my words. The whole point of my posts was that we should just wait and see what's going to happen and try not to get too stressed over it. Or do anything like quit before seeing exactly what will happen. You're the one frantically screeching "Quit or bend over"!!! If you aren't some kind of union shill then I'd have to wonder why anyone who no longer works at FedEx is so involved with our issues? Messianic Complex? Megalomaniacal personality issue? Preach away brudda!!

vantexan

Shill. :rofl:

Geez what a fragile ego. Why does it bother you so much that anyone would disagree with you? I agree with you that serious things are about to happen. But I don't care for the scare tactics. Or the twisting of my words. The whole point of my posts was that we should just wait and see what's going to happen and try not to get too stressed over it. Or do anything like quit before seeing exactly what will happen. You're the one frantically screeching "Quit or bend over"!!! If you aren't some kind of union shill then I'd have to wonder why anyone who no longer works at FedEx is so involved with our issues? Messianic Complex? Megalomaniacal personality issue? Preach away brudda!!

And P.S. If the IBT showed up tomorrow I'd sign their union card. Where oh where are they? Please Mr., contact the IBT and tell them to get over here. Please, please, please...

CJinx

I would rather be homeless and beg on the street than work for walmart
Suit yourself, I guess. I'd rather be able to eat good food and have a warm place to sleep at night, even if it meant working a job I hated.