Pay Code Changed

MC0493

Hey all, so this past Monday was Columbus day as you all know. In the morning one of the ocs's said that some people have light days and will be asked to perform additional work if they wish to keep their daily guarantee or change to code 5 and go home early. I did my route and got in under 8 hours, wasn't asked or told to do any extra work and I went home.

Had 0.84 of guarantee pay when i checked my time card Monday. I just checked tonight and i've since been switched to actual pay. I'd assume they can't do this, already contacted my steward but figured i'd stop here for some additional advice.

Rack em

Made the Podium
I have heard if you are going to come in under 8 you must first message in and ask if they need you to help out or do additional work. Also, did you take a full one hour lunch and your break?

MC0493

Never messaged in any other time I've been under 8. Always take full lunch and never taken a break in my life to be honest.

35years

Gravy route
Hey all, so this past Monday was Columbus day as you all know. In the morning one of the ocs's said that some people have light days and will be asked to perform additional work if they wish to keep their daily guarantee or change to code 5 and go home early. I did my route and got in under 8 hours, wasn't asked or told to do any extra work and I went home.

Had 0.84 of guarantee pay when i checked my time card Monday. I just checked tonight and i've since been switched to actual pay. I'd assume they can't do this, already contacted my steward but figured i'd stop here for some additional advice.
By saying this, the OCS was notifying you that if you wanted your guarantee of 8 you were being asked to perform additional work. If he had not notified you in the morning they could not legitimately change your pay code. But you were notified and punched out early, without expressing your desire for the guarantee. I think you have no case.

We don't have code 05 here , except for good Friday and Xmas Eve....if agreed upon.

By The Book

I do know the 8 hour guarantee is in the contract....I don't think the code 5 is in the contract. @MC0493 with the .84 under added to your actual work hours did it add up to 8 hours?

ManInBrown

Here you have to communicate. "Going to be finished under 8. Want my guarantee. What do you need me to do? If nothing, they say come in" It's only happened to me a handful of times in my career. I was paid the guarantee once without checking with them. All the other times I messaged in before I was done.

I know the guarantee is in the contract but you really can't expect them to not attempt to 05 you. Grieve it. How does it work in bonus centers? I'm assuming they pay the guarantee.

onestoptogo

Here you have to communicate. "Going to be finished under 8. Want my guarantee. What do you need me to do? If nothing, they say come in" It's only happened to me a handful of times in my career. I was paid the guarantee once without checking with them. All the other times I messaged in before I was done.

I know the guarantee is in the contract but you really can't expect them to not attempt to 05 you. Grieve it. How does it work in bonus centers? I'm assuming they pay the guarantee.
When they place you on code 5 you do not get any bonus. It may show you as running under on the WOR, but if you check your pay check you will find you did not get paid for bonus on that day.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
The center manager mentioned the light day and the rules in the morning.
They offered everyone more work if they wanted it.
You chose to come in early and try to get away with some free cash.
If you grieve it, you have a 50/50 chance, but there will be repercussions.

The 8 hour day in the contract is to reference the minimum requirements of what a full time job is suppose to be.
Filing a grievance when you were smiling ear to ear on having an easy day is hypocritical.
2 things that piss off your center manager : drivers who work way more OT than they're suppose to and giving away money that was unearned.

Remember that these kind of grievances are the reasons why UPS cuts out so many routes and not give easy days anymore

1Simplemann

I occasionally get the guarantee but it only happens when I have a moderate day and the few runners that I did have I was able to indirect somehow. Doesn't happen very much anymore because I'm usually heavier. When it does happen, I never message them. I just show up and clock out. It's usually only 10-15 minutes. One time years ago, I was told to clean the customer counter for 15 minutes. I told them it's cheaper to pay the the guarantee and let me go home. "What do you mean?" I said because next time I'll run the runners and you can pay the overtime and the fuel. Now,They don't bother the out of towners when they get in early. they just pay it because they they know in the long run we save them money.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
I challenge anyone here to find the words "Code 5" in the contract.

You have the right to 8. That's where it begins and ends. If they tell you that you don't have 8 hours of work it's on you to demand it.