Peak 2019 bonuses

upschuck

That sounds like it is for drivers who run under, the union members vote to have one or not, even though it doesn't specify that.

Every year there is an outcry over this, so I'm sure it has been hashed out somewhere.

We have the same language in the central

Section 10 There will be no newly implemented incentive plans or bonus plans unless approved by the affected employees and the Union. Current plans will remain in effect unless grieved by the majority of the employees involved and approved by the Joint Area Committee:

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I want the union to enforce their own contract. When the company can disregard the terms that they agree to, it weakens the local and union.

The employer shall not put into effect ANY new plan of an economic nature. The parentheses is used to cite examples of an economic nature which would include a retention bonus, also in parentheses it says ect.

Are your objections purely about the principle of contract enforcement? Or are you concerned that the bonuses are being applied unevenly? Either way I understand. But maybe I can give you a different perspective. Contract enforcement has economic costs. The union has every right to decide which grievances they will pursue. In this particular situation, no one is being negatively effected compared to where they were before the bonuses, it's just some are benefiting more than others. If you had to choose between spending money fighting this issue, or, say, safety or seniority violations, which would you choose?

As far as the contract language, the section title has bearing on the language in the section, people don't seem to realize that. The section is about "Incentive Plans-Bonus", not incentive plans and all other bonuses. Incentive plans are production bonuses. When you read the rest of the section, you have to keep in mind what the section is specifically referring to, which is set forth by the heading.

Just some food for thought.

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
$200 bonus for sunrise shift, $100 bonus for every other shift. Will the union have the contract enforced when it clearly states in the contract that any bonus must be approved by the union first?

Warehouse Worker - Package Handler at United Parcel Service (UPS)
THAT'S IT?! I GOT $300 LAST YEAR!
81kcM3a.gif

WorkingAsDirected

Are your objections purely about the principle of contract enforcement? Or are you concerned that the bonuses are being applied unevenly? Either way I understand. But maybe I can give you a different perspective. Contract enforcement has economic costs. The union has every right to decide which grievances they will pursue. In this particular situation, no one is being negatively effected compared to where they were before the bonuses, it's just some are benefiting more than others. If you had to choose between spending money fighting this issue, or, say, safety or seniority violations, which would you choose?

This is the 3rd year UPS has given bonuses. The last time they gave out bonuses was peak 2017 all the way till January 2019. That's right, about 13 months of weekly bonuses for those who were hired for peak 2018! Why should it be acceptable for a new hire to make more than an employee with 10+ years that PAYS a union to make sure we ALL get equal rights. This type of behavior will continue if something isn't done.

Last edited:
This is the 3rd year UPS has given bonuses. The last time they gave out bonuses was peak 2018 all the way till January 2019. That's right, about 13 months of weekly bonuses for those who were hired for peak 2018! Why should it be acceptable for a new hire to make more than an employee with 10+ years that PAYS a union to make sure we ALL get equal rights. This type of behavior will continue if something isn't done.
The contract says minimum pay for employees, they can't do a dang in thing if the company wants to pay more

UnconTROLLed

perfection
UPS must do something to get seasonals in. Without bonus incentives, the very low pay, erratic scheduling/hours and miserable working conditions, what incentive is there??

Non-union Amazon pays more, better working conditions with benefits right away.

Thanks Teamsters

Justaloader

UPS must do something to get seasonals in. Without bonus incentives, the very low pay, erratic scheduling/hours and miserable working conditions, what incentive is there??

Non-union Amazon pays more, better working conditions with benefits right away.

Thanks Teamsters

I think about this every time our hub turns into a :censored2: show due to management trying to make numbers look good. Hopefully once peak ends, operations will go back to normal...IE how they were in August and September (I can only reference those months as I started in August).

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
This is the 3rd year UPS has given bonuses. The last time they gave out bonuses was peak 2017 all the way till January 2019. That's right, about 13 months of weekly bonuses for those who were hired for peak 2018! Why should it be acceptable for a new hire to make more than an employee with 10+ years that PAYS a union to make sure we ALL get equal rights. This type of behavior will continue if something isn't done.

Like I said, I understand where you are coming from. For me, it was being in the group of drivers who were the first to get hired under the 4 year progression, after waiting 7 years to go driving, only to have the progression rates bumped way up right after finishing progression. And almost every driver hired after me has only had to wait a couple years at most. Over the course of my career, all other things equal, I am behind everyone who went before and is coming after me by anywhere from $20k to over $100k. I'm not happy about it, but there's not much I can do.

Your's might be an issue where you could get enough other part timers who are getting shafted to start filing grievances every single week. The lack of catch up pay for senior part timers was one of the reasons I voted no on this last contract, so by all means, go after what you can get.