Personal and Economic Freedom for Individuals

Sportello

I just wanted to create a thread where sincere discussions could take place ... really nothing more.

Education
My personal believe is that the US Central Government should provide/support infrastructure so that all individuals can advance as far as they can in the STEM fields of study even up to a PhD but only if there is not enough US citizens to fill all the jobs.
Citizens who want to study in fields where there is no shortage should pay their own way past high school.

Healthcare
I believe the US Central Government should provide a National Healthcare System where any USA citizen can be treated for physical and mental health issues. Private businesses can provide healthcare plans as well if they want to have their employees enjoy a better and more comprehensive plan than the USA Healthcare system.

How about those as a start?
Well, you are not known for sincere discussions, so that's a strike, I guess.

If you search my posts, I think you will come up with a match for smart & healthy. That is a primary function of a successful government.

There are also a lot of other services a government should provide. Why have a ruling body if my neighbor can poop in my water supply?

I think the biggest hurdle, to at least what I view as your style of Libertarian rule, has to do with foreign affairs and community safety, for a start.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I think the biggest hurdle, to at least what I view as your style of Libertarian rule, has to do with foreign affairs and community safety, for a start.

Foreign Affairs - Defend the borders and sanctity of the US Homeland.

Community Safety - Basic rule: don't do or allow the government or any person to infringe of any individual's personal and economic freedoms.
I think a community is made up of individuals.

Last edited:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Well when Walmart releases quarterly profit reports stating that cuts to welfare and food stamps are the reason for not meeting profit expectations, I'd say that's a good indicator of the real economic effect of entitlement programs.
OK ... now I understand.
Interesting thought but when did cuts to welfare and food stamps occur?

Sportello

I know you aren't that stupid. Please try again.
Nope. That is an invalid argument.

If a libertarian lives at the source of the fresh water, what keeps him/her from pooping in the water when it leaves his/her property?

What is the rule of law for a libertarian? Is he/she responsible for what happens downstream?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Nope. That is an invalid argument.

If a libertarian lives at the source of the fresh water, what keeps him/her from pooping in the water when it leaves his/her property?

What is the rule of law for a libertarian? Is he/she responsible for what happens downstream?
If it damages other people's property they would have a right to sue for damages no?

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Absolutely!
One of the strongest tenants of Libertarianism is that one individual is not allowed to infringe on the personal or economic freedoms of any other individual.
This obviously would include any type of pollution that affects any other individual.

Sportello

Your original post here was not sincere ... just another example of the typical type of posting by most people in Current Events.
Why don't you and @bbsam hook up and be snarky and unproductive together?
wow. You could not be more wrong.

judge, jury and executioner all wrapped in one.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
OK, this is not a well thought out statement:
If you are (A) against government entitlements you are (B) against poor children getting nourishment.

(A) does not imply (B). That is straight out of the MSM and Faux news tools to destroy an argument when they can't use logic or the truth.
Despite your protests (A) will lead to (B). It is easy to say you are against this or that, but there are consequences for those actions. You of all people I would think should understand that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. You cut programs there will be people who suffer