Pilots - Here we go!

U

Unregistered

dannyboy said:
"I won't give it here"

What a joke. With all the unrequested links you posted, and finally someone asks you for one and you refuse? What a joke.

"but you have 2500 pilots walk at peak, and you have big problems."

The pilots could only walk 30 days following a release from mediation. The RLA is very different from the labor laws the drivers operate under.

The company is careful with everything they write. They accuse us of wanting 6.5 Millon for bunks, wrong. That is nuts. We want the same type of rest arrangements that FedEx has had for years. The company's estimation of cost is crazy.
We want comparible retirement to that of FedEx. We want more money than FedEx pilots currently make, because we have more liberal work rules, we are more productive.

The company claims that the "average" UPS pilot makes 175k a year. Wrong, they include an imaginary sick bank buy out, pension plan contributions and health benifits. That is not salary.

This company has went out of their way for 15 years to tell us that we don't work for UPS, we are not Brown Ground. That we are a cost, and bring no productivity to the delivery of the product. They have fundamentally, treated us like an "illegitamite red headed step child for years" and yes, the resentment is high.

We are pissed and tired of it, and frankly, are ready for war. I hate it has come to this, but that is my perspecitve after 10 years here. I think like most bullies, we are going to have to bloody their nose to get any respect.

I don't know if the drivers will support us, I hope so. We supported you down to the last man and woman. THat is a fact. The truth of the matter is, we must depend on our selfs in the end, it is our fight. I think we are ready to deal with it.

As for replacements, well, it is going to be hard for our managment pilots to fly the routes, and train replacements. My upgrade to Captain this summer took 21/2 months. Do you know how much of our income moves on aircraft from overseas. A lot. That is where the new customers are and the growth is.

The only real problem with our contract negotiations is management knows one thing, every dime they give us comes out of their pockets. This is all about greed, not about bankrupting a company.

Management at the airline has come down to not who is qualified for the job, simply who is willing to do their bidding. It is simply now about power and money. I have for the most part lost complete respect for our management pilots.

There, that is one perspective of a hard working UPS pilot.

I have about 20 years left. I will spend 10 of those years away from home. Much of it in countries not friendly to Americans. How much would they have to pay you for for that time?

THink about it sounds great, but we have about 65% divorce rate in our ranks. Why, because we are not at home to care for our families. That is what this fight is about, security for our families. Growing old with our health intact, and having some security when we are no longer able to operate in our trained profession. WE HAVE TO RETIRE AT 60 by government regulations.

I could go on for hours, but if you want to know, ask questions. I will try to answer.

BrownBusDriver

U

Unregistered

At another site a person wrote that the IPA walked with the teamsters in 1997 because they couldn't fly. The aircraft dispatchers and mechanics were teamsters on strike. UPS was focusing on getting the packages out of the system and not putting them in in 1997. There was nothing to fly. Asia wasn't that big. I think UPS was using Challenge in Miami then for flights to Latin America. The IPA used the teamsters to get their 1998 deal that was signed just months after the 97 strike. They claimed solidarity but in looking back they had really no way or nothing too fly. This is a different puppy. The drivers grew the business after the strike. We were able to bounce back after 1997 in no time. What can the pilots do to grow the business? Does Amazon. com or JC Penny or Sears catalog have a airstrip to were the pilot can get out of their plane and thank them for using UPS? It will be up to the teamsters to work harder if the IPA strikes to recover lost business.[/QUOTE]

We didn't fly because we wouldn't. The management pilots flew right up to the point of legally timing out. They would have loved us to fly. The dispatchers were not even organized then, and are not Teamsters now. The mechanics are Teamsters, and they too stayed out, but UPS have management mechanics who too, can work on and sign off aircraft.

People characterize us as arrogant. Frankly, I don't think that is generally true. We are for the most part, well educated, motivated, and proactive in our daily lives. We generally are not very good with "over" supervision that UPS thrives on.

Frankly, the only place this company is not lean and mean at is management. We are way too top heavy. Too many cooks. I think the company should find the pilots contract money there, getting rid of dead wood.

BrownBusDriver

BrownBusDriver

U

Unregistered

Unregistered said:
Why aren't the UPS pilots picketing the NWA or Delta ticket counters in support of their brethren. Simply, it is all about them. If it so bad,quit. they aren't the heroes of the 30's through the 60's, technology has proven that the less they do the better! As a result they should get paid more? let me cry a river of tears. I don't work for UPS but I hope the pilots get hit hard enough to work for a living.

Sounds like the sour grapes of an unfulfilled life. What is your hard case, I do work hard, and have a lot of responsibility. Do you own a 60+ million dollar business? Can I take it out for a ride, 0 to 600mph? So how much should a guy who holds those types of assets in such a precarious situation be worth? You seem to have a lot of opinions, how much. What do you do for a living? How much are you worth?

BrownBusDriver

U

Unregistered

Unregistered said:
Just a reminder. The pilot group where teamsters back in the late 80's. They chose to get rid of the teamsters and start their own union. The MD-11 one of our pilot's drove into the runway in Louisville is just about to make it's test flight to get back on the line for peak. Ater months in the hanger and alot of cash to Boeing it should be good as new.

No, it was not "driven" into the runway at Louisville. Actually, it had been damaged from a previous incident, not sufficently inspected, and the normal landing on a later leg caused the nose wheels to "fall off". So where did this pilot go wrong?

The 767 at Houston was from landing on a "submerged" runway. No one knew that that runway could flood like that, and I doubt anyone could have stopped the departure from the runway. By the way, it was an autoland.

BrownBusDriver

U

Unregistered

The MD-11 was inspected in ANC for a hard landing. Maintenance found no discrepancies. On the next flight leg the new crew had another hard landing in Louisville. The 2 are not related. Land these things alittle easier please. Don't try and put the blame on maint.

moreluck

golden ticket member
When "unregistered" replies to "unregistered" who in turn replies again to "unregistered", you all just keep us running in circles. I've been in Vegas for 4 days and come back to this conversation and now I need a program to tell the players!!

Register already !!!

U

Unregistered

Pay attention!!! Those unregistered posters might just have something to say!? An Unregistered Guest!

BrownBusDriver

With the visibility available at landing that was the only option available for the crew. Yes, it was an autoland. At that visibility, that is the only thing available option. By the way, my last comment to the Capt. of that flight was, "Watch out, there is a tropical storm there right now." I was to be the FO on that flight, I am very familar with the actual facts of the flight, not a casual observer. I was to be the FO on that flight. I have flown the recreation in the sim, very little room to recover. It is very different being there and being a casual bystander. No one, and I mean no one could have done better, period. Where were you that evening.

BrownBusDriver

BrownBusDriver

I'm not triying to blame anyone, but the fact of the matter is the aircraft was written up, and inspected, then the wheels depart the aircraft on a normal landing at SDF. Where does the blame lie? On the system that promotes schedule above safety. That is the fact, the next crew can not be responsible for damage from a previously noted action signed off to meet schedule, when the failure happened during a very normal landing. You will not the company did not hold the crew responsible for either the SDF incident or the Elington incident. The truth is aviation is a profession of very narrow margins, unlike truck driving. The professionalism lies in the margins, where the crews make ice cream out of ****, and there lies the compensation. NO ONE COULD have better with the information provided. Our mechanics are the best, but the system is not perfect.

UPSDISPATCHER

BrownBusDriver,

Thank you for taking the time to present nothing but FACTS about, well, basically everything you posted.

All guests registered and unregistered,

Something of interest about UPS's aviation safety record: Two years ago our insurance rates were raised. Why, because of an unforseen and unavoidable hydroplaning off a runway? Nope, because we are statistically overdue for a hull loss. You will not find another US air carrier, especially cargo, who has had their rates raised for having too good of a safety record.

Another point of interest is the MD11 is about the squirreliest heavy jet to land. When you actually put one down hard enough to cause damage it may just end up sliding down the runway upside down. Just ask FedEx.

It's easy to try to tag an incident/accident on pilot error, or even maintenance error for that matter, but attempting to do so in the presence of others who know the facts may possbly make you the fool.

U

Unregistered

why dont ups pilots wait for fedx pilots to go on strike first. they are in contract talks too. I would wait to find out what fedx pilots get first and then get something similar.Let fedx air scramble when there pilots go on strike,