Politics and Upper management

vantexan

I will swap two weeks at the beach for two weeks at Bristol, with a pool. It will cost you..lol. Let's call Uncle Fred and see if we can jumpseat.
My certification is valid, all we need are the John Hancock's.

I have 21 years in and 13 to go because I DESERVE it.

Don't tell me, show me. To all the nay wishers..... whatever:happy-very:

I agree with alot of what you say, but Uncle Fred gives Repubs a bad name. I doubt you'll be able to hang on for 13 more years considering the direction FedEx is going. You are fortunate to have the job in an area that's economically depressed. A topped out courier in such an area would do well. But costs of living are considerably higher in much of the country and if not topped out it's a struggle. Doesn't matter how profitable the company is if they won't share it with the employees. I'm a rehire, screwed myself along with the company's screwing. Over 14.5 years since rehired and made $4.40hr less than top-out when I quit this time. Glad you are happy, but it grinds on those of us who work hard to just get by while couriers next to us make $9k+ a year more on 40 hrs and often don't work nearly as hard. Any company that screws it's employees just because it knows it can in a bad economy isn't a company I want to work for. And personally, shipping off guns to countries to make a profit off their killing each other isn't something I'd be proud to be a part of.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It sounds like your brother and I have very similar interests. There is good money to be made in collectable firearms. My problem is when that old WWII Colt 1911 or Luger comes in the shop I keep it. To me it is a self induced "forced" portable pension plan. Gun prices go ONE way, up.

As someone alluded in another post, never turn you hobby into your "job" or it's not your hobby anymore. No truer words were ever spoken.

He has kept a few, but most of what he had was the limited edition or rare stuff that running a gun store gives you access to easily. Also, when someone came in and wanted to trade up or cash-out, he had first crack at it because the owner of the shop agreed to it if he would run the place on his off-duty days. Very profitable.

Sniper

And personally, shipping off guns to countries to make a profit off their killing each other isn't something I'd be proud to be a part of.

satire

That was my attempt to make a political statement about the FACTS of the current administration views and direct actions. Supplying "evil AR's and AK's" to drug cartels in Mexico and now to the Syrian rebels while at the same time saying "no one" in the United States needs a modern semi auto rifle. My copy of the "200 year old flawed document" is quite clear. SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.

Really??

Now if Israel dumped Uzi's on the streets of Chicago for the gangs it would be an act of war, as it should be. It just fine if we supply the extremest, whether drug cartels or rebels in Syria with these evil rifles, paid for by the taxpayers. Obummer gets a complete pass on that one he can do no wrong.

It is VERY concerning to me the POTUS and "shotgun joe" have made numerous statements about the evils of the AR's/AK's trying to gin up the gun control debate.

Much like the FAA bill, they had the debate, they had the vote and it did not pass.

We also know what kind of margins FedEx make on the international side.

Sniper

and the FACT of the day is:

Kerry signs UN arms treaty, senators threaten to block it | Fox News

don't tell me, show me. Hope and change, hope you like it.

Even though most on here "chime in" , guns are ok, it's the criminal, people kill people, ect. Or they might say I have one or two, possibly 3 or fifty, I might "carry", I would never "carry". Whatever your point of view might be. "Kerry" took care of us today. Just another distraction.

I guess we will have to "ask" Kerry to carry...lmao... whatever

Again I am a one issue voter.:2guns:

Now if the current administration had put 2% of the effort in passing the FAA bill like they have Obama Care (which we are paying for) or the "Gun Control issue" it would have been a DONE DEAL. We would have had a voice (vote) in the matter. Keep in mind back they held all three Aces. We are talking recent history, not some pie in the sky "fantasy island". The bill was up for a vote, language intact and what happened?

NOTHING, .......ZERO...... It did not happen, I was there and watched.

I was in an upbeat optimistic mood at the time. I did my "Republican" duty, I held my nose and voted for McLAME. Obama was the victor and I KNEW hope and change was coming to FedEx. When I had a supervisor tell me they were going back to driving I KNEW it was a done deal.

Now since I live in the world of FedEx, and love my job most days. I am being realistic, given my age and length of service. I will NEVER see that opportunity again before I retire in 13 years. It is not going to happen. All the moaning and pissing in the world will not change that FACT.

It is what it is.

If I don't want to work here all I have to do is QUIT. I enjoy my job most days, and I deserve 13 more years of driving. The drivers get it done, day in day out.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
and the FACT of the day is:

Kerry signs UN arms treaty, senators threaten to block it | Fox News

don't tell me, show me. Hope and change, hope you like it.

Even though most on here "chime in" , guns are ok, it's the criminal, people kill people, ect. Or they might say I have one or two, possibly 3 or fifty, I might "carry", I would never "carry". Whatever your point of view might be. "Kerry" took care of us today. Just another distraction.

I guess we will have to "ask" Kerry to carry...lmao... whatever

Again I am a one issue voter.:2guns:

Now if the current administration had put 2% of the effort in passing the FAA bill like they have Obama Care (which we are paying for) or the "Gun Control issue" it would have been a DONE DEAL. We would have had a voice (vote) in the matter. Keep in mind back they held all three Aces. We are talking recent history, not some pie in the sky "fantasy island". The bill was up for a vote, language intact and what happened?

NOTHING, .......ZERO...... It did not happen, I was there and watched.

I was in an upbeat optimistic mood at the time. I did my "Republican" duty, I held my nose and voted for McLAME. Obama was the victor and I KNEW hope and change was coming to FedEx. When I had a supervisor tell me they were going back to driving I KNEW it was a done deal.

Now since I live in the world of FedEx, and love my job most days. I am being realistic, given my age and length of service. I will NEVER see that opportunity again before I retire in 13 years. It is not going to happen. All the moaning and pissing in the world will not change that FACT.

It is what it is.

If I don't want to work here all I have to do is QUIT. I enjoy my job most days, and I deserve 13 more years of driving. The drivers get it done, day in day out.

Whatever.

Sniper

I LIKE it... :goodpost:

but you can't forget....

It is what it is....:hapydancsmil:

the hour break is killing us, especially in the extended areas....:fishbashsmile::fishbashsmile:

and HOMELAND security begins at home ......:happy-very:

don't tell me.... SHOW me...

Last edited:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I LIKE it... :goodpost:

but you can't forget....

It is what it is....:hapydancsmil:

the hour break is killing us, especially in the extended areas....:fishbashsmile::fishbashsmile:

and HOMELAND security begins at home ......:happy-very:

don't tell me.... SHOW me...

You like the emoticons, eh? Fred is killing you, not the hour break, which is a directive, NOT a policy. That means it isn't enforceable.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
I just "e" signed off on something that says as long as I work less than 12 hrs. I only have to take a .5 meal break. I can waive the additional .5 meal break. Yesterday I worked over 10 hrs. on only a .5 13/14

Sniper

I just "e" signed off on something that says as long as I work less than 12 hrs. I only have to take a .5 meal break. I can waive the additional .5 meal break. Yesterday I worked over 10 hrs. on only a .5 13/14

Is that express or ground your commenting on. The ground driver here said his hour break went away, but not for us.....YET :surprised:

Maui

The biggest reason is compliance with CA law. The law states that an employee must have a 30 minute duty free meal period if working more than 5 hours. That can be waived to 6 hours and always is at Express and must be taken within the first 5.5 hours of work. CA law also requires another 30 minute duty free lunch if working more than 10.5 hours, but that can also be waived if working less than 12. If you work 12 hours, punch in to punch out, then you MUST take that second 30 before your 10th hour. Most managers did not know the law and were giving bad info. Also if you take an hour and go over then you would have to take a SEPERATE ADDITIONAL 30. This stops that.

FedEx settled a lawsuit about not complying with the law. If you do not take a break, then FedEx must pay the hours worked plus an additional hour's pay. The same is true if you work during your break. This memo clarifies the expectation to coincide with CA law. Many transportation companies in CA have settles similar lawsuits.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
I'm jealous. What chain of events led to the "change"?
Must be this ....
Maybe just a CA thing?

The biggest reason is compliance with CA law. The law states that an employee must have a 30 minute duty free meal period if working more than 5 hours. That can be waived to 6 hours and always is at Express and must be taken within the first 5.5 hours of work. CA law also requires another 30 minute duty free lunch if working more than 10.5 hours, but that can also be waived if working less than 12. If you work 12 hours, punch in to punch out, then you MUST take that second 30 before your 10th hour. Most managers did not know the law and were giving bad info. Also if you take an hour and go over then you would have to take a SEPERATE ADDITIONAL 30. This stops that.

FedEx settled a lawsuit about not complying with the law. If you do not take a break, then FedEx must pay the hours worked plus an additional hour's pay. The same is true if you work during your break. This memo clarifies the expectation to coincide with CA law. Many transportation companies in CA have settles similar lawsuits.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Are you taking an hour break if you go over 8 hours?

I have to, do you?

This makes me think of the HR rep telling me the other day about how FedEx is "asking" us to take an hour break if we go over 8 hours. I literally laughed out loud. I don't remember ANYONE "asking" me that. I distinctly remember being ORDERED to take an hour and if not in compliance a warning letter will be issued. We get that happy broadcast everyday over the Powerpad as well as the HOS warnings.

This makes me think of the HR rep telling me the other day about how FedEx is "asking" us to take an hour break if we go over 8 hours. I literally laughed out loud. I don't remember ANYONE "asking" me that. I distinctly remember being ORDERED to take an hour and if not in compliance a warning letter will be issued. We get that happy broadcast everyday over the Powerpad as well as the HOS warnings.

We all work for the devil! He just wears a different color uniform!

Sniper

I can't help myself, because I call them like I see them.

Day two "GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN'....

I think it's a good thing...how much waste can we cut.

Individual responsibility = don't count on anyone but yourself and the Marine in the next foxhole, if he gets zapped, you better pick up the slack.

Parris Island 101. (circa 1982) I learn my lessons well.

:gun_banda

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I can't help myself, because I call them like I see them.

Day two "GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN'....

I think it's a good thing...how much waste can we cut.

Individual responsibility = don't count on anyone but yourself and the Marine in the next foxhole, if he gets zapped, you better pick up the slack.

Parris Island 101. (circa 1982) I learn my lessons well.

:gun_banda

Maybe. Your Semper Fi wisdom might be valuable to a Marine, but doesn't really apply to civilian life. It's common for ex-service folks to apply the same rationale they use for combat situations to everyday life. Sorry, but maxims like the one you just offered really don't make much sense outside of a war zone. Smith's USMC roots helped make him a bad leader in the civilian world. A "Bravo Zulu" actually means something to the Marine who dashes into a firefight to retrieve his wounded comrades. It's meaningless in the context of today's FedEx. I found it interesting that when Fred's son (Cannon, lol) got himself into trouble, Daddy Smith wanted him to go join the USMC. This is after Dad got Cannon a plum job with the Washington Redskins and Cannon effed it up so bad even Smith's money couldn't save him. My first thought is that it would screw him up more. Most of the ex-Marines I know are great guys, but they're pumped so full of testosterone and "I'm a bad mother" garbage, that I just have to tolerate it and move-on.

Folks that can't leave the Marines behind, stay behind. Glad it works for you. Perhaps you can clarify the origins of Bravo Zulu for us. I was told it was actually a Navy term, but since the USMC is technically under the Navy, perhaps it applies to both. Enlighten us.