potential problems with "ups freight"

Equalizer

Mittam you said
you will have a meeting out there in 2 weeks

I am fully aware of the meeting, date, and time. I was just curious as to how many people showed up and what the response was.
Thank you for the response.

Equalizer

Equalizer

mittam said,
there were 40 people and all signed cards

I expect there to be twice that number at our meeting. The APWA is gaining recognition within UPSF and people want to hear what they have to say.

Equalizer

TieGuy........is that really you Jim Casey........and conspiring with Worldwide to confuse us even more-----and here I thought that Jim had passed---he's back as the TieGuy, inspiring us all to be keeping our eye on the Mind's Horizon!

I do try to keep my eye on the distant horizon---and you know what---I don't see Fed Ex------I do see UPS when all of the dust settles from the Transportation Wars of the early 2000's, it will be UPS that sustains itself with it's Financial clout.

I know that when FedEx is doing well, Monte is very vocal----but I also remember when FedEx had a terrible quarter ---one before last, Wall Street actually turned it's back on them and the price of it's stock plummeted---and Monte appeared to go into hiding!!

It's easy for a non-UPSer to tell us how messed up we are at UPS-------but we will have to wait and see how UPS Freight emerges and starts competing with Viking/RPS/Fed -Ex.......I will put my money on Overnite and Menlo!!

"DITTO" I could'nt have said better my self.:thumbup1:

Worldwide
yes, im wrong, I dont have the IP address for you. I thought a little over a year ago all of our IP addresses were on here before the "BROWN CAFE" had changed to its new format. Ok2bclever just took a shot in the dark last year and guessed I was in Rhode Island. OK2b...I would like to buy you a beer. I wonder what all these numbers are if there not IP addresses. I have a cool program that maps out where the IP address is comming from. Must not be working right..... damn junk!

Worldwide / Tieguy
your correct, I made it all up. I owe you both an apology.
I would like to say im sorry to both of you.
I have a bad case of "Brown envy"

Tieguy,
I dont have an answer about UPS not negotiating in good faith. If you want to discuss it with someone please (if you want to) start a new thread. I know nothing about it. I asked by brother but he wont talk to me because I work at Fedex. He hates Fedex, Fedex stock, and his Fedex employee brother. :blushing:

Cheryl, Im sorry for calling these two gentlemen names. I was wrong.

I think your brother may be a good judge of People, I'm starting to like him already:tongue_sm

upsfcsr

I am in CS with UPSF. Here is what I know....don't know if it helps...

UPS is refusing to handle bulkier packages now and passing them off to UPSF.....the box can weigh 20 pounds, but if it is larger than like 2'X2' SQ, it isn't going to be picked up by UPS. I had another customer call in that normally has feeder truck service, I contacted the UPS Customer Service and was told.....they don't provide that service.

I can also tell you that Overnite/Motor Cargo were excellent companies to work for, but since the merge with UPS, employee relations and moral have dropped significantly. :crying:

K

k1ll3r cowboy

Trick, that in no way was directed toward you. If that is how you took it, I apologize. It was directed at a few drivers that tried to compare a day or two "layoff" when volume was low to this PERMANENT layoff and separation from the company.

I am a dock/city driver at overnite.We have been seeing some strange things going on our selves.there is something coming down the pike!

Buckethead

I am in CS with UPSF. Here is what I know....don't know if it helps...

UPS is refusing to handle bulkier packages now and passing them off to UPSF.....the box can weigh 20 pounds, but if it is larger than like 2'X2' SQ, it isn't going to be picked up by UPS. I had another customer call in that normally has feeder truck service, I contacted the UPS Customer Service and was told.....they don't provide that service.

I can also tell you that Overnite/Motor Cargo were excellent companies to work for, but since the merge with UPS, employee relations and moral have dropped significantly. :crying:

The moral part of your statement, I can say for a fact is the truth. We at Motor Cargo took a pretty good size hit in pay (delay time, layover time, meal exp, mileage and runs relocated to Overnite term's)

Some things are better, but to take a pay cut right out of the gate, didn't show me much from Big Brother (UPS). I hope they have better things in mind for the future.

T

trucker1946

you will never see another strike,too many upsters live way beyond their means,big morgages,huge car payments,and throw their overtime away,remember NO ONE benefits from a work stoppage,I went threw 3 national strikes and NO ONE gained a victory.I am retired now and lovin life,think it over wisely,its your future.God Bless and Good Luck

SMCRDFCL

There is a problem with UPS Freight. That major problem is that Overnight and Motor Cargo management do not want to work together in spite of the branding. You can brand a cow and it will still do what a cow does. Most people could care less about a brand to make them loyal. They care about their own little world, of which we are in. The Teamsters Union (sic) will be up to their neck with this UPS Freight mess. Many people in the management of these two companies will loose their positions, be demoted and offered other jobs. UPS doesn’t want ‘two people’ doing the same job. Does the term ‘dove tail’ ring a bell? The marriage, of the two companies, so far is just barely working out. This lack of cooperation may be the drag on UPS Freight for a long period of time. In the years to come UPS Freight may compete with FEDEX Freight, but not in the years to come. FEDEX bought a well oiled machine in Viking Freight System and those people really know how to get things done. UPS Freight will be eating the dust of FEDEX Freight for many years in the future.
I understand that UPS recently recruited two top executives from FEDEX Freight. Does anyone out there know who they are? Why do you think they did this and want other employees and management to jump to UPS Freight? UPS Freight has a little clue about freight and wants to assimilate in order to compete with FredEx Freight.

tieguy

Banned
Did you think you were gonna hear anything other than the sugar-coated party line from a member of management?
Notice how he was real vague in his response and didn't elaborate much?
Who is "us"?
Is "us" the union free Overnite?
Is "us" the company as a whole?
Is "us" the company feeder drivers?
I have seen "shiny wheels" come into our yard and leave with trailers that we (the drivers) were told were empty but the yard shifter knew they were loads.
We have seen loads pulled into our yard (after peak season) by shiny wheels and were told the origin hub was "...out of drivers".
If there is a system in place, the company will abuse it. A good example is the written, and agreed upon, labor contract.
Only a fool can't see the company is gearing up for July 31, 2008.
Sorry.....no "wine and roses" today.

Just a little addendum to this paranoia. Saw a presentation on the frieght market recently. The potential market for us is over 36 billion dollars a year. Thats a lot of jobs and money for everyone in brown.

trickpony1

Just a little addendum to this paranoia. Saw a presentation on the frieght market recently. The potential market for us is over 36 billion dollars a year. Thats a lot of jobs and money for everyone in brown.

So....whats that got to do with the theme of my original post that you chose to quote?
Can you counterpoint a post just once without going off on a tangent?

tieguy

Banned
So....whats that got to do with the theme of my original post that you chose to quote?
Can you counterpoint a post just once without going off on a tangent?

I could be wrong but I think my point about the potential market for frieght was very on topic in this case.

SMCRDFCL

I do not work for FredEx Freight...I work for myself, even though employed by a company, and am somewhat selfish in that fact. FredEX Freight purchased Viking Freight System because they know how to do freight. If UPS could of only beat Fred to the cheese (Viking) UPS may have seen a better stock price and happier employees. I joined the Teamsters mid 70's and know just a little about them. As a previous Union Steward, Teamster Driver Instructor, over three million miles and thirty some years in ground transportation I am well acquainted with the Teamster operations. The Teamsters Union is facilitators of its member’s wishes, or at least they should be. They can only negotiate, arbitrate, grieve, strike and operated within a Union Contract.
It is important for the membership to be good Teamsters and not hold their position as Teamsters to the ill health of the company. A good Union Steward is a handler who wants harmony in the particular venue and within the contract body. Screw up and you may find yourself in front of the “E Board” and maybe out of the Union. A petty little work rule grievance may just be that and the Union will dismiss it behind closed doors with the company and play lets make a deal. Pawns in a larger game, if you will, are what the members are in fact. It is for the betterment of all with the sacrifice of the few or one.
Without the company the Teamsters do not have a JOB. The members need to remember just who signs the check and behave for the betterment of the company first. As I stated keep in mind who signs the check. Be a really good employee and do the best job each day. You are only as good as the last job done and seniority in many cases doesn’t equal experience. Seniority and 15 cents used to get a cup of coffee.