Pvd second opinions

Ky0311

If they use pvd drivers during summer seasonal and peak periods, would this be a way for ups to create less full time jobs? Why pay someone towards topping out when they can use a pvd and pay them seasonal rate, and less liability. This worries part timers like myself trying to make a career here. Looking for 2nd opinions.

Ky0311

I agree with the temp coverage driving being a problem too, but now if we don't do temp seasonal driving ourselves, they are just going to pull these people off the street, really we lose either way. But better we do it then random temps.

Ky0311

With peak being over they are gone, but I bet they are hired again for summer, and that's probably going to stop ups from creating full time jobs.

upschuck

With peak being over they are gone, but I bet they are hired again for summer, and that's probably going to stop ups from creating full time jobs.
2 different situations. One is extra added routes, the other is covering vacations, and running full routes. Don't think you could run a full route in a pvd.

Ky0311

You would be surprised, they were giving these people upwards of 80 stops, they would make 2 and 3 trips in one day. Which is work that should've been ours.

Ky0311

80 stops? Who gets as little as 80 stops on a full route. What about all the bulk?
Well regular union temp drivers would do all the bulk, they would give huge amounts of residential to pvd. My problem with them is that they worked before me on multiple occasions, and it will probably continue to happen screwing part timers out of ever getting full time. How is the union letting this slide?

upschuck

Well regular union temp drivers would do all the bulk, they would give huge amounts of residential to pvd. My problem with them is that they worked before me on multiple occasions, and it will probably continue to happen screwing part timers out of ever getting full time. How is the union letting this slide?
That would be extra drivers on their reports. Can't have that. You worry about it if you want.

UPSjedi41

They would park the Penske rental trucks in an area and the PVD drivers would go there and just "reload" as often as they needed.

upschuck

They would park the Penske rental trucks in an area and the PVD drivers would go there and just "reload" as often as they needed.
So they are going to spend more money on renting a truck and pay mileage, when they could just hire a seasonal, and have them run in a PC?

UPSjedi41

So they are going to spend more money on renting a truck and pay mileage, when they could just hire a seasonal, and have them run in a PC?
Not agreeing with what they did just informing. We don’t have enough package cars for peak. They move as many all business routes as they can into crappy Penske rentals and use their package cars for more baselines. If we had 50 more package cars in our building for peak it wouldn’t be enough.

upschuck

Not agreeing with what they did just informing. We don’t have enough package cars for peak. They move as many all business routes as they can into crappy Penske rentals and use their package cars for more baselines. If we had 50 more package cars in our building for peak it wouldn’t be enough.
Winter peak is different, I was questioning summer peak.

Heavy Package

PVD's are an issue that needs to be permanently addressed in the next contract. As a FT driver who's center used them this peak, I am telling you straight up they took $$ from our Union brothers pockets.

Why are we seriously arguing and complaining about making OT during peak versus some scab in their own vehicle tarnishing the UPS brand at our expense? Really?

Ky0311

PVD's are an issue that needs to be permanently addressed in the next contract. As a FT driver who's center used them this peak, I am telling you straight up they took $$ from our Union brothers pockets.

Why are we seriously arguing and complaining about making OT during peak versus some scab in their own vehicle tarnishing the UPS brand at our expense? Really?
Totally agree. I am a part timer/ air driver working my way to full time. And as peak started these pvd people had routes before me when I signed the peak coverage bid. It's ridiculous and will only get worse if it's not fixed NOW.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
I surely hope so, since you teamsters are giving part of your earnings to a UNION that allowed off the street drivers to take your jobs...

PS were they given magnetic door signs for their personal delivery vehicles???