Question For Mechanics!

rod

Retired 22 years
When I started my center had a few P600's that were Fords but most were GMC's with 292's. We had some old oddball stuff floating around like some funky P400's and even an old furniture truck.
I think back then they tried to keep the same engine make in each center. all Fords or all GM so the mechanics only needed to keep a few parts available. Once it went to a “parts on order” system anything went

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
444e 7.3 was good, but they are on the way out. Prone to leaks, but they stayed fixed once you were done for the most part.
VT365. Too much bad stuff to list for this piece of trash
6.0 GM Good except for oil pump issues. Rebuilds last half as long if you are lucky. Same goes for the 4.8.
MB904 is great until it suddenly goes bang without warning.
4.3 was underpowered and overworked. Should have chosen the 305 V8 instead IMHO.
292 not powerful, but easy to keep running well until parts would not fit.
6BT was great except for oil leaks and injection pump problems.
ISB also great except for lift pump failure and injector line leaks.

Last edited:

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
ISB07 is so far ok. No problems yet, but hear reports of egr and urea injection issues.

Ford 7.8 was good and simple. Injection pumps were spendy and hard to get.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
444e 7.3 was good, but they are on the way out. Prone to leaks, but they stayed fixed once you were done for the most part.
VT365. Too much bad stuff to list for this piece of trash
6.0 GM Good except for oil pump issues. Rebuilds last half as long if you are lucky. Same goes for the 4.8.
MB904 is great until it suddenly goes bang without warning.
4.3 was underpowered and overworked. Should have chosen the 305 V8 instead IMHO.
292 not powerful, but easy to keep running well until parts would not fit.
6BT was great except for oil leaks and injection pump problems.
ISB also great except for lift pump failure and injector line leaks.

The 444e I had was my all time favorite package car. I lost it once for a week to have the injector o-rings (?) replaced, and that was it.

They let me carry it across three different routes.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
The 444e I had was my all time favorite package car. I lost it once for a week to have the injector o-rings (?) replaced, and that was it.

They let me carry it across three different routes.
Injector o rings is a probable job. They do fail at times and cause starting issues when hot.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Injector o rings is a probable job. They do fail at times and cause starting issues when hot.

No matter how many times our mechanic told the newbs how to start out in them, I'd hear the clutches crying in the morning.

He said just to dump in in low, and then shift to first. I never had a problem with mine.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
The most important thing to a driver is having a hot post under the dash that we can hook our radios up to!

brostalss

The older inline sixes were great. I had one that had a sticky valve. You could set your watch to it. A few seconds after your turned the car off, BAM!!!! The valve drops or opened. Hilarious.