region / district collapses.

SimpleUPSer

This was posted at UPSers.com

Small Package Operations Consolidation

UPS today announced that after extensive study and consideration, it is consolidating some small package operations in the United States.

{This text was reported by a member to have been copied from an internal UPS website and has been deleted. Please visit UPSers.com to view this information.

Copying and posting information from an internal UPS website is against UPS policy.
If this information was meant to be distributed to the public, there would be a UPS press release.}

Last edited by a moderator:

dragracer66

Hey Tieguy....Since you are in management in the east central region do you know what will happen to the east region office at scott plaza and to it's employees? And is there a north East region office like we have here at scott plaza???? Just wondering!!!

tourists24

Getting ready for that large screen TV in every center that tells you everything you need to know. George Orwell was just a few years off.[/quote]

maybe I am missing something out here in the sticks.... what exactly does "that large screen TV" mean?

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
maybe I am missing something out here in the sticks.... what exactly does "that large screen TV" mean?

I take it as being how you're given your directions for the day. Innovative idea? Yes. Effective? I doubt it. Technologically possible but I'd fight like h*ll to keep it out if I were in a corporate position. Its my interpretation this could centralize management of a very large number of operations (package car) such that one person is managing say 200 centers. I might be exaggerating that number, by the way. -Rocky

tourists24

I take it as being how you're given your directions for the day. Innovative idea? Yes. Effective? I doubt it. Technologically possible but I'd fight like h*ll to keep it out if I were in a corporate position. Its my interpretation this could centralize management of a very large number of operations (package car) such that one person is managing say 200 centers. I might be exaggerating that number, by the way. -Rocky

So if Im reading you right, is this like one centralized figure reading the daily reports/projections, and then telling center managers how many routes they can run? (and Im sure a lot of other things)

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
It has been managed by Atlanta for quite some time anyway.
When everything started going south with customer service is when it began.
When your 8 hr day was suddenly a 6 1/2 and you needed to work 10 to show 8 on paper.......is when it began.
When managers couldnt decide how many runs they needed because some fortune teller looked at their crystal ball and told them how many.............
I can hardly wait to see what "changes" will be coming down the pike.
Today we were told that they were going to get on us for our production, I can hardly wait. Better practice those defensive actions boys and girls coz here it comes. Lock your doors, use your rail, dont be rude to customers, but be halfway out the door, while they finsih signing and your on your way back to the vehicle. Its going to be fun. Merry freaking New year!!!!!

satellitedriver

I don't know.
I am only a driver and the number of packages and deliveries have only increased over my last 21yrs of service.
I have also noticed that the number of sup's has decreased over the same time frame.
Consolidation of effort, for cost savings, is a common effective strategy.
The only problem I have with it at UPS is that it takes the micromanagement concept further up the pyramid to a pin point.
Some decisions on the battlefield should be made by a Sargent, not a General in the rear guard.

PAX

satellitedriver

It has been managed by Atlanta for quite some time anyway.
When everything started going south with customer service is when it began.
When your 8 hr day was suddenly a 6 1/2 and you needed to work 10 to show 8 on paper.......is when it began.
When managers couldnt decide how many runs they needed because some fortune teller looked at their crystal ball and told them how many.............
I can hardly wait to see what "changes" will be coming down the pike.
Today we were told that they were going to get on us for our production, I can hardly wait. Better practice those defensive actions boys and girls coz here it comes. Lock your doors, use your rail, dont be rude to customers, but be halfway out the door, while they finsih signing and your on your way back to the vehicle. Its going to be fun. Merry freaking New year!!!!!
Today we were told that they were going to get on us for our production, I can hardly wait.
Time to say,
"Bring it on".
If anyone, on a daily/weekly/yearly/decades/ basis, can run my route and match my numbers, I will bow out.
They would have to prove it to me, not just tell me how it can be done.
Merry New Years!!, to the rest of the freaks.
PAX

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I just dread it, I know its mostly in the antiquated time study, but they make me prove it year after year. Im tired of sups riding with me only to tell me "well I dont know what you are doing wrong, but you have to do better" Basically, scratching their hinies and trying to find a way for me to gain time. I got an idea, Put my route back the way it should be with the areas it was time studied with, instead of making my route full plus the am and pm of two other routes. Follow the loop concept you guys butchered 2 1/2 yrs ago, with the orders from above. Give my loader some charts and tell him where to put the crap he moves over when he makes my truck into 3 routes, and give me a clue whats on it, and where, (real important) before I pull out of the door at 945. I know the week after new yr is brutal, but the whole entire yr was brutal. But if I could only do that 11 hr day in 8 like the OR says I should, problem solved!! Same old, doesnt matter how many mgrs they remove, although I feel for the way they are being shoved under the bus. They took over their decision making to the point we cant talk to them about anything coz all they know is I gotta do what the wizard in Atlanta says or Ill be under the bus. There have been days, where being shoved under the bus seems desirable.

What I heard yesterdsay was the New Mexico District will be split up whith some going to the AZ dist, some to Cen-Tex, some to Red River. There will be many employees in Albuquerque looking for jobs before too long.

F

Former ECR Hero

I'm hearing that a lot of mid/lower region management will go back to their home districts. Not sure where Rocky is going to go. Maybe out to pasture in Atlanta? As far as the region office at International Plaza, its history. From what I understand it cost a small fortune for the offices there. I never really understood why the ECR offices were not located in a hub. Any Corp IE folks out there reading the forums? I want to know the reason why ECR was collapsed into the NE Region. The NE Region really has some apathetic management style up there. It just seems like they don't care. It could just be me... at least I hope for the former ECR's sake.

Channahon

I'm not in Coporate IE, but have been involved in some district and region consolidations. The consideration for consolidating is all about logistics and cost savings. Where is the best locations for Region and District Staff to travel within their regions or districts.

So in reading the latest consolidation on UPSer's.com, it makes sense for the realignments.

More territory to manage with less management. Since the mid 90's - 6 regions have collapsed out of 11, which leave 5 regions domestically. And numerous districts have been consolidated over the years.

Now if only the people left in the Regions and Districts were able to do their jobs to the best of their ability, rather than be micro-managed, then that would make the management left to manage jobs more bearable.

I understand the cost savings needed to keep this company profitable, the only concern I have is some of the smaller districts and regions were for training purposes, with the intent to move someone along, after 2-3 years, to gain experience and take on more responsibility.

Now you have some management who are not qualified for a position, will get the position because of where they live. Because relocations are virtually non existent nowadays. JMO

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
So if Im reading you right, is this like one centralized figure reading the daily reports/projections, and then telling center managers how many routes they can run? (and Im sure a lot of other things)

Close. Only there would be no center manager. I abhor the idea of not having a manager on-site. It could lead to very big problems--operationally, etc--if there is not a manager on-site to deal with problems.

Not sure where Rocky is going to go. Maybe out to pasture in Atlanta?

ROFLMAO....Out to pasture? Dude, have you been reading these boards for any time whatsoever?? I'm 23 years old, I have my life ahead of me. I no longer work for UPS and do not wish I'd taken a different path. No, I'm very happy out here. I watch UPS feeder rigs blaze by on I-25 here in Denver and I wonder if I have anything on 'em, not how much pain I'm going to be in after I finish unloading/sorting 10 of 'em in one night. I'm applying for a couple jobs that could not be more different from UPS. Nice work environment, reasonable salary, great hours, etc, etc. Read more of this board before you go off half-cocked like you did, jumping to conclusions about my position. -Rocky

tourists24

Close. Only there would be no center manager. I abhor the idea of not having a manager on-site. It could lead to very big problems--operationally, etc--if there is not a manager on-site to deal with problems.

you gotta be kidding me... how is this supposed to help UPS? who is supposed to answer questions during day to day operations in each center?

JustTired

free at last.......
you gotta be kidding me... how is this supposed to help UPS? who is supposed to answer questions during day to day operations in each center?

That's what the OSD people are for. You know, the young ones who aren't union and aren't really management. They're basically underpaid replacements for what used to be management positions.

Of course you might be able to get ahold of an on-car supervisor. But they have basically become "non-union" pkg car drivers.

In the future, I see that when you call in to the center, you'll end up trying to talk to someone half a world away with most likely an Indian accent that you can barely understand. These people will be trying to coordinate getting a wrecker to your location when you break down. :sick:

Hopefully, I'll be retired by then. If not, you'll probably find me camped out in my pkg car.......off the side of the road.......still waiting on a wrecker.:happy2:

sendagain

We need to cut costs, so why do we have the slowest gas pumps known to man? I have no idea why we can't get pumps that deliver fuel at the same speed that commercial stations have. When you consider each driver is fueling his tank on overtime, the cost for each of those gallons rises dramatically as the fuel trickles into our tanks. I had to fuel my truck every other day; measure that by over one hundred thousand drivers at perhaps a dollar savings per man, and that is a significant amount of money. Maybe the rest of the country has your typical pumps, but LA didn't.