region / district collapses.

south florida dist office closing jan 5

Is that the South Florida DO or GO? The DO is in the Hialeah hub and the GO is in leased office space in Davie. I wouldn't be surprised to see the GO closing as it has been shrinking in size and employees for the past 10 years. What's happening to those functions (friend&A, BD, Marketing, CARES)?

its really a terrific concept. wrong rocky though. its rocky romanellas baby. his idea is you basically kick start the whole service cycle at the same time. So you tell the preload they have to be done by 7 am and ask them what they need to do so. You tell package all the drivers have to be in by 7 pm and ask them what they need. hubs same thing . so as you read here drivers started and finished earlier , preload started and finished earlier, hubs same thing. Hit the whole cycle at the same time is the right way to do it.

The Achilles Heel for all of that is that you have to be able to accurately project the volume for people to accurately tell you when they need to start to finish on time. You can't ask the boxline to give you a start time and then dump an extra several thousand packages on them and expect them to finish on time, which seems to be what happens on an almost daily basis in my center.

Monday was a classic example. Our center added 7 more cars because the projections were off, one of the other centers had to add 13. Then you have all the add/cuts which, since the sheets come out half way through the shift when half of the packages have already been loaded, means that half of those boxes end up getting loaded twice. I actually had about 15 packages that were cut over to one of my cars, and then they changed their mind and cut them back to the car they were on originally, which means that they were loaded 3 times.

I realize I've been working here for less than 2 months and maybe there's something I'm missing, but it absolutely floors me how poorly they are able to forecast volume. Since every package, from the instant it enters the system, has a delivery address and an estimated delivery date, they should know, almost to the package, what the volume is for a given day.

bluehdmc

The Achilles Heel for all of that is that you have to be able to accurately project the volume
it absolutely floors me how poorly they are able to forecast volume. Since every package, from the instant it enters the system, has a delivery address and an estimated delivery date, they should know, almost to the package, what the volume is for a given day.

I second this. I've been sent to the airport to pick up a "3rd" wave. Upon arriving at the airport, I've been told they don't know if they have a 3rd wave. It is at least a 2 hr flight from Louisville to Newark. They don't know how many "igloos" are on the plane?
10 igloos = 1 5door trailer 12 igloos = 3 4 door trailers, this isn't rocket science. It would seem to me this sort of thing could be coordinated between the time the plane is loaded and lands how ever many hours later. Of course I'm just a lowly feeder driver and if they want to spend the expense of my hours, plus operational costs I'll take it. :happy-very:

Channahon

I think they should do away with all region managers in my opinion. I am totally ignorant to this subject, but I'll give you my ideas based on perception.

My perception is the operation is run from the district level down. To me, it appears the regional manager has no puropse. Eliminate the regional level and let there be a direct relation between corporate and the district manager.

Totally agree, I can't speak for all region department heads, but I can tell you , I don't feel there is a need for any of them.

One level of UPS management that can be done without in my opinion. Let the District Manager run his/her District - that's what they get paid to do on a daily basis.

But then again, as the mircro managing got out of control, so everyone can justify their Region and Corporate job, I took the position toward the end of my career as such: If UPS wants to pay me my salary and implement a plan I may not have agreed with, but did so, well the results were what the results were.

Sometimes, the results were greater than I thought they would be, and I was able to learn something new, that was great, and if the results were less than I expected, well then discussions would take place, to find out what happened.

Well, what happened is I did as I was told, as opposed to what I knew what would work. And believe it or not, sometimes what I did would be documented and used for future reference.

The goal was of course, to what was right for the customer and business.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Totally agree, I can't speak for all region department heads, but I can tell you , I don't feel there is a need for any of them.

One level of UPS management that can be done without in my opinion. Let the District Manager run his/her District - that's what they get paid to do on a daily basis.

I agree wholeheartedly. I spent 2 1/2 years in the Region and other than Nat Acct dept (which is now in Corp), I felt all the Region did was act as an interface between Corp and the District and to act as a training resource.
With the advent of technology which facilitates communication and downward visibility, the Regions are a non-value added layer of management.
UPS is slowly and methodically reducing the number of Regions.