Reince Priebus

bacha29

You know Reince’s net worth is estimated to be over $3 million, don’t you? Works for a big law firm. He’s likely not in it for a Navy pension hes starting on at age 46.
You tell me. At age 46 with no prior military experience and obviously not fit for a combat command position just what does he have to offer in exchange for his commission?

Box Ox

You tell me. At age 46 with no prior military experience and obviously not fit for a combat command position just what does he have to offer in exchange for his commission?

You do know that all branches of the military feature a whole lot of jobs that have nothing to do with combat and are led by officers, right? Especially in the Navy, where recruits are typically more valued for their specific technical or professional expertise than their ability to go hand to hand with ISIS.

Box Ox

Intelligence? HaHaHa. I can just see Reince Prebus on a recon mission to gain intelligence on North Korean nukes. Nope. Fighting and dying will still be done by the kids who come from nothing.

You've been watching too many war movies. The Navy isn't only SEALS. And a long-time lawyer and former White House staffer is more than qualified to become a valued member of it.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
A Navy review board “professionally recommended” Priebus and four others to join the service after reviewing 42 applications for a competitive direct-commission program for human resources officers.

Sounds about right for his experience/ skill set, I don't have a problem with it. Good on him for being willing to serve.

bacha29

A Navy review board “professionally recommended” Priebus and four others to join the service after reviewing 42 applications for a competitive direct-commission program for human resources officers.

Sounds about right for his experience/ skill set, I don't have a problem with it. Good on him for being willing to serve.
And don't try to tell me that his political connections did NOT impact the decision to let him in. In addition his party was the driver behind one of the largest increases in the Pentagon budget in recent years. Of course I'm sure that it didn't influence the decision to let him in.....yea right.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
And don't try to tell me that his political connections did NOT impact the decision to let him in. In addition his party was the driver behind one of the largest increases in the Pentagon budget in recent years. Of course I'm sure that it didn't influence the decision to let him in.....yea right.
I'm sure they did, given that Mattis wrote him a letter of recommendation, but so what? Guy wanted to serve his country in some capacity and got a little help in getting his wish. In the grand scheme of things this is just not a big deal.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
So naive!

bacha29

I'm sure they did, given that Mattis wrote him a letter of recommendation, but so what? Guy wanted to serve his country in some capacity and got a little help in getting his wish. In the grand scheme of things this is just not a big deal.
One component of this nation's culture will never change. The rich man will continue to send the poor man's kid to die on the battle field before he'll send his own.

newfie

Intelligence? HaHaHa. I can just see Reince Prebus on a recon mission to gain intelligence on North Korean nukes. Nope. Fighting and dying will still be done by the kids who come from nothing.
You realize intelligence is much more then going under cover. Each comment you make shows your ignorance of the military

vantexan

Don't know about other services but in the Air Force we had officers over everything. Dining halls, chaplains, payroll, IT, you name it. They weren't fighter pilots.

vantexan

Doubtful even Navy Seals go on such missions. They've got spy satellites for that.

Box Ox

One component of this nation's culture will never change. The rich man will continue to send the poor man's kid to die on the battle field before he'll send his own.

And I really like barbecue. But that’s also a topic for an entirely different thread.

bacha29

You realize intelligence is much more then going under cover. Each comment you make shows your ignorance of the military
Different issue different thread
No it is not. Here's why. When I was senior in high school they sat down my entire senior class and made us take this so called "Armed Services Test" with so called recruiters standing there. We were given NO CHOICE as to whether or not we even wanted to take it Ask them a question about making an enlistment deal, they're answer? "You can be drafted". Yes, they held all the cards but I wasn't about to get myself killed for no other reason than to help guard the DEFEATED US military's RETREAT from Vietnam. A war that history has proven conclusively to have been lost the moment we took it over from the French.
You see, I was the last year of the draft lottery. When I pulled out a 204 lottery you should have heard the complete change in attitude on the part of their so called "recruiters" . They didn't have a clue as to how to strike a deal on someone they wanted. It was amusing to hear them try to do something they had no clue as to how to do because now I was holding all the cards. My response to their overtures was one of the 7 words the FCC has banned from the airwaves.
The primary task of the US armed forces is and always will be the defense of the nation through force of arms and despite whatever technological gains in the field of warfare are made there will always be a battlefield and the kids who will be there will be the ones who came from nothing had nothing and in the eyes of the nation's elite will amount to nothing..... and therefore are not to be valued as highly as the rich man's kid.