Removing EDD (RDO) as an option

Poop Head

Judge me.
I just use the DIAD for a list of what is on the truck and that is all.
It's nice when the list makes a little sense. Or sorta sense. Even if dispatch botches some things, things will be in the same order in chunks/neighborhoods/areas. Orion can and will have, say, Joe's coffee as stop 30, then Jane's wine as stop 150, even though they are next door to each other.

bumped

It's nice when the list makes a little sense. Or sorta sense. Even if dispatch botches some things, things will be in the same order in chunks/neighborhoods/areas. Orion can and will have, say, Joe's coffee as stop 30, then Jane's wine as stop 150, even though they are next door to each other.

You should never have to worry about finding a bathroom with businesses spread out throughout the day.

Brown140

In Feeder now but if I was in pkg I would refuse to follow Orion. Deliver by the shelves. I wouldn’t climb over boxes, possibly resulting in injury or damaging boxes. I wouldn’t make myself sweat unnecessarily because of their stupidity. Get the job done but don’t let them cause you stress. Vote no on this contract, make them feel the pain and anguish that they put us under everyday.
Sweeten the offer and make RDO permanent. Kill Orion or no deal!

Dumbo

Orion isn't a huge deal if you a regular route driver. The stops come off quick and easy at your business. It IS a major issue driving a cut car with 220 resi stops, and then they cut more stuff into your car at the last minute and PAL it all the same. Last week I had no 1000 or 5000 packages, they cut it all into 3000 and 4000, so I had to go through about 50 on each the 3000 and 4000 shelves (which were basically spread through the whole truck all over the floor) and little sure post bags and such just to find one stop.

Also if they force Orion, they should never allow dispatchers to start the trace anywhere but the 1000 through 4000 shelf.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We lose RDO on Monday also. They have been talking about it since March. Every day, PCM: if you are not running Orion, get with your supe and make the changes that need to be made. I have asked 3 different supes to fix my trace and they have not. It will be what it is and I will enjoy fewer stops while on the 9/5 list.
On my route, Orion has me changing directions 30-40 times a day, which would mean backing into driveways. I don't do that, so my trace is right around 80% and I am usually over miles 15%. Also, because I do not back into resi driveways, I almost always have to skip stops to get air off on time. We start at 8:50, usually leave the building at 905, Orion plan is 8:55 leave time and has me delivering my 1st stop at 9:15. I have to meet another driver, so I usually do not deliver my 1st stop till 9:35.
Orion could be awesome, but never will be.
I absolutely refuse to “get with my supe and make the changes that will have to be made.”
If they are demanding that I follow ORION, what they are telling me is that, after 31 years as a driver, I am no longer competent or trustworthy enough to decide what my next stop should be or which route to follow in order to get there.
If that is the case, then by definition it also means that I am not competent or trustworthy enough to help them fix the system that decides what my next stop should be or which route to follow in order to get there.

They cant have it both ways...

summersaltstains

They took RDO away from our building months ago and it's been a complete train wreck ever since. Cover drivers going out blind basically can't finish anything dispatched over 10 hours and the new hires become so frustrated that they either wash out or quit 2 weeks or even less into the probationary period. Had somebody told me last Christmas Eve that upper management would find a way to make working conditions even worse for the drivers next peak season, I'd have doubted it would be possible. Not any more. Their incompetence appears to have no limits.
I can't tell you how many times I have missed business following Orion blind. I have had churches and elementary schools as my last stops on split routes for no good reason. Bid drivers can survive this, but it screws us cover drivers.

The Real Jack RyanMI6

I am afraid my work life will just be a blizzard of rage now. I am seriously concerned this will drive me insane. I hate being angry at work. And they’re just packages but I work for more than just money, I would like to do a good job everyday and get home.
I agree with you, completely. The only way i keep my sanity is focusing on what i can control, whats at home (my last stop) and letting go of the rest. Im not pretending it was easy for my it took at least 5 or so years and almost cost me my marriage and thats just the beginning but i can say its worth it. Hang in there, just know theres at least one and im sure many more that have walked the road through hell and come out the otherside

The Real Jack RyanMI6

I can't tell you how many times I have missed business following Orion blind. I have had churches and elementary schools as my last stops on split routes for no good reason. Bid drivers can survive this, but it screws us cover drivers.
My money is on it will screw all of us. Im guessing with turn by turn, directions and dynamic Orion by the end of 2019. That we all will be directed to a 90 or 95 percent compliance. Failure to do so will be deamed insubordination and termination without question. Then by 2022 with advances in the AI we will be at 100 percent

soberups

My money is on it will screw all of us. Im guessing with turn by turn, directions and dynamic Orion by the end of 2019. That we all will be directed to a 90 or 95 percent compliance. Failure to do so will be deamed insubordination and termination without question. Then by 2022 with advances in the AI we will be at 100 percent
“Insubordination” is not a terminable offense in the Western Conference.
Furthermore, if we are directed to generate a certain compliance metric under threat of discipline, we cannot then be disciplined for any service failures that might result from obeying that directive.
Being given conflicting instructions (generate compliance metric while avoiding service failures)...under threat of discipline for both...is a violation of Article 37 which prohibits over supervision and harassment.

soberups

Did you record the stops as “missed”?

soberups

Yes and then my center manager inevitably calls and yells at me.
Getting yelled at by a manager is easy overtime. Amusing, too.
If you are going to make a career of this job it helps to have the right attitude about it.
That attitude should be that, while you may prefer cooperation to conflict, you also have the power to make them far more miserable than they can make you.
Their plan, their fail.

summersaltstains

Getting yelled at by a manager is easy overtime. Amusing, too.
If you are going to make a career of this job it helps to have the right attitude about it.
That attitude should be that, while you may prefer cooperation to conflict, you also have the power to make them far more miserable than they can make you.
Their plan, their fail.
Yeah it took me a while to realize that but I'm finally getting there. They recently put me out blind on a heavy industrial route with multiple large bulk stops. Other drivers told me it was worse than usual and that the regular has to take his break after 5 to make all the business. I said friend that and ate 12 to 1. I got all my air and savers off on time but when I called and said I wasn't gonna be able to finish my business or make all my pickups it felt kind of good to make them squirm to correct their mistake.

barnyard

KTM rider
I frequently think of "malicious obedience" and if I pushing that line. A year or so ago, someone posted here that their hub was starting to see discipline based on 'malicious obedience.' I frequently text photos of the crapshow that is the back of my car so that there is a record of why I cannot follow Orion. Thursday, it was a 2 inch x 2 inch x 8 foot long thing that was on the sec 1/sec 5 shelf. I would have had to empty section 1 to get it off and would have had 5 late NDA. It added a lot to my trace.

Frequently, I will pull in a PT supe, show them a buried long package and ask them what I do if that comes up as my 3rd Orion stop.

In the end, it does not matter. I no longer care. I will get on the 9/5 list every chance I can and will let them worry about where it all comes together. It is their problem, not mine.