Repercussions for crossing a picket line?

PT 4 Life

Most-Hated Member
Yes, as you should be. If you don’t stand with your brothers and sisters during a strike the union has no reason to stand up to protect you later on.

I was just wondering what happens. Not that I had any intention on crossing but I never been involved in a strike.

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

The union has done a terrible job at getting younger workers engaged. All the union is to them is a fee once a month out of their paychecks. I’ve been around for a few contract negotiations now and there’s been more workers saying they have bills to pay and would cross. I think the cause has to be just. I don’t really think there’s anything to strike about and would be severely disappointed if it got to that point. No two sides could afford it. I don’t think the government even under biden would stand for it either. We would not have public support at all. The people are used to two day deliveries. Just my two cents.

HFolb23

The union has done a terrible job at getting younger workers engaged. All the union is to them is a fee once a month out of their paychecks. I’ve been around for a few contract negotiations now and there’s been more workers saying they have bills to pay and would cross. I think the cause has to be just. I don’t really think there’s anything to strike about and would be severely disappointed if it got to that point. No two sides could afford it. I don’t think the government even under biden would stand for it either. We would not have public support at all. The people are used to two day deliveries. Just my two cents.
1.) It’s not necessarily the unions job to engage with younger members, that’s on the stewards and senior members to mentor newer employees and explain their benefits and protections as a teamster.

2.) It shouldn’t take much at all to explain just how much more the union is than 2.5x their hourly rate once a month. Lots of benefits the union gives us for that cheap of a cost.

3.) Nobody wins during a strike, but the company has the most to lose.

4.) I agree that Joey can’t politically afford to let us strike after the debacle he’s already swept under the rug with the railroads. I’d argue people care more about their UPS deliveries versus railroads even though the rail moves more of the economy than we ever will, they aren’t in public view. The worst thing that can happen for us is letting the federal government interject in our negotiations with the company.

5.) Support for organized labor and better working conditions/benefits is very high right now. If people are celebrating Starbucks and Amazon employees unionizing then why would they be against a UPS strike?

Jetboat1

If you cross the picket line when the strike is over you will get 20 bucks an hour no health benefits for half a year and 3.5 HR guarantee.Just like all part timmers.

Cowboy Mac

Are they on the safety committee? The safety committee on the union side is run by union members and the local union. They should not be chosen by management.
Yes on the safety committee. Safety committee here chooses their own members with input from management. Little to no union involvement.

Thebrownblob

Yes on the safety committee. Safety committee here chooses their own members with input from management. Little to no union involvement.
Really needs to be brought up that nonunion people without the approval of the local are being put in those positions. If someone at the union hall is not paying attention to it they are not doing their job.

1675372242437.png

Pullman Brown

So you don’t think the company forcing drivers in six days a week for three plus years now is a just cause? It doesn’t happen everywhere but it is a nationwide problem that’s has gotten outta hand!