Repercussions for crossing a picket line?

Sporhwhore

Are there any monetary or better yet legal consequences for crossing a picket line in the event that we actually do go on strike? I know the old school penalties for crossing a line but I’m curious as to what would happen in 2023 if we have a large percentage of the membership not honor a strike?.. I’m worried that a lot of our new hires and younger employees ( not myself btw) would think that if they work during a strike it could “ move them up” the ranks when in reality we all know the less seniority an employee has the better chance of being laid off the will happen with an obvious drop in volume… anybody have any actual consequences for scabbing?

textat3

Not something you want to do. You will be Targeted by your coworkers while you are working as a scab. Then, when the strike is over and the Company needs to trim the payrolls, your hero status with the company will dissipate and they will fire you, knowing the union will not fight for you.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Are there any monetary or better yet legal consequences for crossing a picket line in the event that we actually do go on strike? I know the old school penalties for crossing a line but I’m curious as to what would happen in 2023 if we have a large percentage of the membership not honor a strike?.. I’m worried that a lot of our new hires and younger employees ( not myself btw) would think that if they work during a strike it could “ move them up” the ranks when in reality we all know the less seniority an employee has the better chance of being laid off the will happen with an obvious drop in volume… anybody have any actual consequences for scabbing?

Tires that keep going flat is one repurcussion

Sporhwhore

Again I would never cross a picket line… I think word needs to get out what the consequences would be because a lot of young guys in my hub think a strike is a way for them to move up the seniority ladder… I know it sounds silly but the younger generation of drivers seem to think that management is their buddies and will do them a solid if they work during a strike… you guys know exactly what I’m talking about…

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Again I would never cross a picket line… I think word needs to get out what the consequences would be because a lot of young guys in my hub think a strike is a way for them to move up the seniority ladder… I know it sounds silly but the younger generation of drivers seem to think that management is their buddies and will do them a solid if they work during a strike… you guys know exactly what I’m talking about…
Ups can't replace us. It's pointless to cross. Crossing would only be beneficial if they could replace every worker with a non union replacement. They can't. They can't replace hub employees. They can't replace drivers. They can't replace Fedder drivers. They can't replace airport workers with sida badges. They can't replace mechanics.

Why gamble and go through all this. Lose customers. Tank the stock. When all they have to do is give everyone a few dollar raise.

542thruNthru

You can be fined by your local union.

Thebrownblob

Ups can't replace us. It's pointless to cross. Crossing would only be beneficial if they could replace every worker with a non union replacement. They can't. They can't replace hub employees. They can't replace drivers. They can't replace Fedder drivers. They can't replace airport workers with sida badges. They can't replace mechanics.

Why gamble and go through all this. Lose customers. Tank the stock. When all they have to do is give everyone a few dollar raise.
Ultimately, I think that’s what will happen.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
And screwdrivers mysteriously end up in the ears of the people who busted them...
No, that aint how it works,Scabs have already shown they have no spines
It's even more fun following a Scab driver on area and blocking him in when he parks. Everyone piles into one car and drives off leaving his sorry Scab ass with nowhere to go. Coupleof hours later we come back and move the cars and play the game all over

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Management offered our drivers unlimited OT for the rest of their career if they crossed. Several did. One of those drivers worked so many hours, he fell asleep at the wheel and crashed an air trailer into a guardrail. He got fired like anyone else would have. Let's just say the union didn't fight very hard for his job. He gone. The other drivers who crossed were shunned by all the drivers that didn't cross. I retired 17 years after the strike. I never said a word to any of them.

Nah
No, that aint how it works,Scabs have already shown they have no spines
It's even more fun following a Scab driver on area and blocking him in when he parks. Everyone piles into one car and drives off leaving his sorry Scab ass with nowhere to go. Coupleof hours later we come back and move the cars and play the game all over
Being able to stand up to pressure from co-workers takes quite a bit of spine, actually. Becoming part of a de facto lynch mob, insulting and threatening an individual or smaller group than yourselves...now that's spineless.