Requested unpaid days off

Legitimyze

I have not worked at UPS long enough to get paid time off. So am I still aloud to request 1-2 unpaid days off? I have something coming up and I would like to see if I can take off for it. Rather than call in the morning of and say I cant come in today.

EDIT: I am a part time package handler that works from 4:30 - 8:30 am

9.5er

How important is it to you? Do you have your probation period behind you?
If you are out of your probation period the only way to be SURE you get the day off is to call in. Sure you can give them a heads up but what if they say No. Then what?

Legitimyze

How important is it to you? Do you have your probation period behind you?
If you are out of your probation period the only way to be SURE you get the day off is to call in. Sure you can give them a heads up but what if they say No. Then what?

Yeah I am past my probation period. I figured I could call in the morning and say I cant come in, I would rather give them a heads up if thats something they would allow.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Yeah I am past my probation period. I figured I could call in the morning and say I cant come in, I would rather give them a heads up if thats something they would allow.
It couldn't hurt to ask but if they say No...and you have no paid days off available..don't call in sick anyway.

AndUPSER

Is it absolutely necessary to attend? And how long have you been at UPS? Not being there long enough for paid days can range from 1 day - 11 months.

For me they always let me take unpaid days off because I have only requested 2, my high school graduation ceremony and a sporting event. Both of those took place 10 months into working at UPS. I think you should be okay as long as you're a good worker with no attendance issues.

Legitimyze

Is it absolutely necessary to attend? And how long have you been at UPS? Not being there long enough for paid days can range from 1 day - 11 months.

For me they always let me take unpaid days off because I have only requested 2, my high school graduation ceremony and a sporting event. Both of those took place 10 months into working at UPS. I think you should be okay as long as you're a good worker with no attendance issues.

I have been here about 2 and a half months, they had me come in everyday. I dont have to call in anymore so I am expected to be there everyday.

rod

Retired 22 years
Nine times out of ten if you request a couple of days off they will cry that they can't spare you. At most any other job giving management a heads up about you not being there would be appreciated--NOT at UPS though. The only thing you would accomplish would be to severely limit your options of getting the day (days) off. As long as you have passed your probation period I would vote to call in sick if you REALLY need the time off---but don't abuse your taking days off power---it will come back to bite you if you do.

HBGPreloader

Check your supplement. But, as long as you made seniority and nobody else has requested the time off on the time off sheet, there shouldn't be anything stopping you from taking the time off.
If you absolutely need the days off, you're better off calling in sick though - but only if you are sure you finished with your probation.

9.5er

Don't lie to them and tell them you are sick when you are not. Just call in and tell them you can't make it to work today. If the ask for an excuse say personal reasons.
You never know who you may bump into while out and about on the day you call in.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Don't lie to them and tell them you are sick when you are not. Just call in and tell them you can't make it to work today. If the ask for an excuse say personal reasons.
You never know who you may bump into while out and about on the day you call in.

Yeah, I found this out the hard way----I called in "sick" and my on-car saw me at the mall as I was about to go watch a movie. Oops!

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
No driver shall operate a commercial motor vehicle, and a motor carrier shall not require or permit a driver to operate a commercial motor vehicle, while the driver's ability or alertness is so impaired, or so likely to become impaired, through fatigue, illness, or any other cause, as to make it unsafe for him/her to begin or continue to operate the commercial motor vehicle.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
No driver shall operate a commercial motor vehicle, and a motor carrier shall not require or permit a driver to operate a commercial motor vehicle, while the driver's ability or alertness is so impaired, or so likely to become impaired, through fatigue, illness, or any other cause, as to make it unsafe for him/her to begin or continue to operate the commercial motor vehicle.
LMAO...and yet our stop count goes up, we stay out later, and the packages get bigger and heavier. When one of our drivers is fatigued and ends up killing someone, maybe (but unlikely) someone might change the way we do things around here.

xkingx

When calling out you do NOT have to give any reason. The only thing you have to do is keep your supervisor posted daily if he/she asks.
Also, call hour b4 shift when returning back to work.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

If you ask your sup 9 times out of 10 you'll get it off. Just try to do it a week or so in advance so they can make sure they have coverage