RETIRED!

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
A feeder driver has 2 stops on my route.

Hand delivers 200-600+ packages to 1 dock on my route.

Then move his rig to another stop's back door and hand delivers 50-150+ packages.

I don't think that this guy has it EASY.
one out of a thousand.

I wish I could hand unload. I volunteer for load transfers for the exercise.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Since I have to read your posts, you have to read mine.
We can suffer together!
you're from reno? come to the gentlemans club on a sunday evening and maybe i'll get you a discount..........maybe. maybe not.

oh ya, wear something brown or bring your walker so i'll know you.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I have just under 2 years left.

However, I also have a wife with medical issues and a house that isnt paid off, so it will probably make sense for me to stick around a while longer.

Thats OK. Once I have crossed the PEER 80 finish line, I probably wont mind jogging a few extra victory laps.
Just give us a heads up so we can dump our stock in milkbones.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
A feeder driver has 2 stops on my route.

Hand delivers 200-600+ packages to 1 dock on my route.

Then move his rig to another stop's back door and hand delivers 50-150+ packages.

I don't think that this guy has it EASY.
I would much rather unload 500-800 pieces at a couple of docks that to have to handtruck even half that number in and out of doors and up a bunch of stairs on an apartment or retail route. And then there are the pickups to consider...most feeder drivers hook up a loaded trailer and go, whereas the package guy is loading all his volume by hand. We have a couple of bulk routes that go out in a 24 foot "masher" and do 1000+ pieces backing up to docks all day. They actually aren't that bad.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I have just under 2 years left.

However, I also have a wife with medical issues and a house that isnt paid off, so it will probably make sense for me to stick around a while longer.

Thats OK. Once I have crossed the PEER 80 finish line, I probably wont mind jogging a few extra victory laps.
The Peer plans, 84, 82, 80 all also have a 25 year "lock in" which is great. If you achieve 25 years of service, at any age, you can get your full pension later if you left for some reason; took another job, disability, FMLA. All you need to do is get old enough to reach the 80 point line. It's slower that way, and your contributions stop, but it's a nice plan B if you have need of it.

MC4YOU2

Another goodie is if you go out on vacay, you can collect pension on top of it and "double dip." The basic rule is; no physical work at UPS for any ENTIRE month, and you'll qualify for pension for that same month. I went out on vacay for all of April and most of May. I'll get pension checks for both months.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Another goodie is if you go out on vacay, you can collect pension on top of it and "double dip." The basic rule is; no physical work at UPS for any ENTIRE month, and you'll qualify for pension for that same month. I went out on vacay for all of April and most of May. I'll get pension checks for both months.

Are you sure about this? In Upstate NY we don't get our first pension check until the 1st of the month following the use of all of our personal time. For example, if our retirement date is 7/1 and we schedule all of our vacation/optional/sick time to start 5/1 we would not get our first pension check until 7/1.

What would happen if by chance you changed your mind while on vacation and decided to come back to work? Would you have to return the pension check?

oldngray

nowhere special
Are you sure about this? In Upstate NY we don't get our first pension check until the 1st of the month following the use of all of our personal time. For example, if our retirement date is 7/1 and we schedule all of our vacation/optional/sick time to start 5/1 we would not get our first pension check until 7/1.

What would happen if by chance you changed your mind while on vacation and decided to come back to work? Would you have to return the pension check?

Agreed. While you are still getting vacation checks you are not yet technically retired. That time adds to your time in service and pushes back your official retiree date.

MC4YOU2

I'd imagine it depends on your plan rules, which like healthcare are different in each region. If you got a pension check and worked, yes you'd have to repay it. Just the same as if you worked in any other "covered employment."

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Agreed. While you are still getting vacation checks you are not yet technically retired. That time adds to your time in service and pushes back your official retiree date.
im trying to do the paperback now and they want both dates. I know the last physical day I work. i.e. my last real shift but the other date is confusing because I don't know how many sick days and vaca days I have earned this year prorated.

can I just give an estimate date or does the company and or pension people figure that out?

oldngray

nowhere special
im trying to do the paperback now and they want both dates. I know the last physical day I work. i.e. my last real shift but the other date is confusing because I don't know how many sick days and vaca days I have earned this year prorated.

can I just give an estimate date or does the company and or pension people figure that out?

When you start the paperwork everything is an estimate and even they won't know the exact numbers. Put in your papers to start the ball rolling and you can still change the effective date if you need to.

MC4YOU2

You will need to find out both, but the actual last shift is the one that dictates the first check in the Western Conference. If you work one hour in any month you are disqualified for pension in that entire month.