RETIRED!

I started P/T at 20, went driving at 21, so I will have to do 30 years in order to reach PEER 80. The last 4 retirements in my building have actually been people with less seniority than me. The flip side to all that is that I will be younger when I retire and get a larger pension due to putting more years in.
Same here. But it does kinda suck.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Driving a school bus is a great retirement gig. My uncle did it for a few years after he retired from teaching. Summers and weekends off, and during good weather in the fall and spring he would do his morning run and have time for 18 holes of golf before the afternoon run. Easy money!

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Some on here ARE truck drivers.

The difference between a long haul truck driver and a feeder?
I was a REAL truck driver for several (10) years before this place. real truckers usually load and unload their own trailers. sometimes by hand , sometimes by pallet jack. you wait a lot on both ends. I ran 11 western states for years. home every other weekend most times. comes out to a little over minimum wage when you factor in all the hours.

feeder is a PIECE OF CAKE. 99% driving. the worst part is listening to all the whiny feeder drivers that don't know how good they have it.

even though the pay is not that great in the real world, when I retire from here, I am going back to running 11 western states for the sightseeing part of it. which is possible hauling boats or similar freight.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
The suckage will stop when I retire at 50 and get $1000 a month more in pension than the guy who retired ahead of me at age 58.
that will be men ( age 58 plus ) but I wouldn't change my life for anything. I did not start working here until I was 38. from high school/college til then I have had about 30 different jobs all other the country. driving jobs, min wage jobs. working in bars in MA and FL. working as a lifeguard, camp counselor, and on and on.

travelled the lower 48 states on many trips, even driving truck cross-country. worked and lived for 2 years in south east asia, visited Singapore, Tokyo japan, Beirut, London, Thailand.

so ya, you'll get an extra grand a month but I wouldn't trade that for what I have experienced.

this year im going out ( 10 years older than you ) but am in very good health and am going to pick up where I left off.

my time at UPS was just a bump in the road.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I started P/T at 20, went driving at 21, so I will have to do 30 years in order to reach PEER 80. The last 4 retirements in my building have actually been people with less seniority than me. The flip side to all that is that I will be younger when I retire and get a larger pension due to putting more years in.

Peer 80 is a wonderful thing. Lots of folks on my rt my age tell me they have 9 or 10 years left.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
that will be men ( age 58 plus ) but I wouldn't change my life for anything. I did not start working here until I was 38. from high school/college til then I have had about 30 different jobs all other the country. driving jobs, min wage jobs. working in bars in MA and FL. working as a lifeguard, camp counselor, and on and on.

travelled the lower 48 states on many trips, even driving truck cross-country. worked and lived for 2 years in south east asia, visited Singapore, Tokyo japan, Beirut, London, Thailand.

so ya, you'll get an extra grand a month but I wouldn't trade that for what I have experienced.

this year im going out ( 10 years older than you ) but am in very good health and am going to pick up where I left off.

my time at UPS was just a bump in the road.
Maybe we will see you on TV in the new series "Strippers in retirement!"

oldngray

nowhere special
hDA37ADCD

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
I was a REAL truck driver for several (10) years before this place. real truckers usually load and unload their own trailers. sometimes by hand , sometimes by pallet jack. you wait a lot on both ends. I ran 11 western states for years. home every other weekend most times. comes out to a little over minimum wage when you factor in all the hours.

feeder is a PIECE OF CAKE. 99% driving. the worst part is listening to all the whiny feeder drivers that don't know how good they have it.

even though the pay is not that great in the real world, when I retire from here, I am going back to running 11 western states for the sightseeing part of it. which is possible hauling boats or similar freight.
A feeder driver has 2 stops on my route.

Hand delivers 200-600+ packages to 1 dock on my route.

Then move his rig to another stop's back door and hand delivers 50-150+ packages.

I don't think that this guy has it EASY.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Peer 80 is a wonderful thing. Lots of folks on my rt my age tell me they have 9 or 10 years left.
I have just under 2 years left.

However, I also have a wife with medical issues and a house that isnt paid off, so it will probably make sense for me to stick around a while longer.

Thats OK. Once I have crossed the PEER 80 finish line, I probably wont mind jogging a few extra victory laps.